• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

feel betrayed

xnewxmummyx

Mummy, Daddy and Isobelle
Reaction score
So I'm a waitress and since finding out I was pregnant 3 weeks ago I agree my performance has slowed down, mainly because I am tired and crampy and more importantly I want to protect my baby.

So ive just had a phone call from my boss saying I need to go in and discuss my performance because a number of management have mentioned me slacking basically.

I now feel completely betrayed by my colleagues and not sure how to defend myself at the meeting.

X

Ohh well I'm not surprised you feel betrayed! I don't think its very fair to be honest. I would just go in and say you are aware your performance has slowed down and that you are just finding it a little bit hard trying to keep up with how it was before you fell pregnant. I don't think they will be able to sack you because I think that come under discrimination because you are pregnant and they know you are pregnant. But good luck xx

Have they done a risk assessment? They should be changing your environment or role to make it better for you not complaining that you're not performing! Does it not ring any alarm bells with them that it's only been since you're pregnant that it's been like this & maybe you might need some help!
xo.

My bosses words were pregnancy is not an illness and I need a drs note to prove otherwise.

I feel so let down. This is my second pregnancy with the company and last time they were unsupportive too. I slipped over on water and they said I was overreacting.

I've had cramps and been tired which has made me slow down. I can't help feeling exhausted. I have a 2year old to look after too and work 5-10 x

That is disgusting behaviour in behalf of your employment. I also work in a restaurant and this is something that worries me as it is a very physically demanding job. Hope you get everything sorted :)

I understand how upsetting it must be, especially since you are giving your all, however I also understand why a business would have problems with an employee who is not performing to their full capacity, regardless of the reason. From their perspective, their business shouldn't have to suffer (losing sales, unhappy customers, having other employees upset at having to pick up more responsibilities without extra pay, etc...) because of their employees choice to become pregnant. It's not personal, it's business. I am a behavioral therapist and work with children with autism. If my performance decreases, I absolutely expect to be reprimanded. It's just not okay to not perform at the same level, regardless of what's going on in my personal life.

Perhaps it might be best for you to look for another job after all? If you do stay, will it only stress you out, exhaust you, and make you miserable?

No purple cupcake that's wrong and why there are sex discrimination laws I don't think many will agree with you either.

Op you need to document What's been said, get everything in writing and find out your rights xx

No purple cupcake that's wrong and why there are sex discrimination laws I don't think many will agree with you either.

Op you need to document What's been said, get everything in writing and find out your rights xx

Discrimination laws say that an employer cannot refuse to hire, fire, dock pay, or refuse benefits to a pregnant woman. In this case, however, the issue is not her pregnancy - it is her performance. Employers are 100% allowed to reprimand for decreased performance. The two are mutually exclusive.

Not when the reason is connected with her pregnancy!
I do know this as I took my work to employment tribunal for these reasons.
Xx

My bosses words were pregnancy is not an illness and I need a drs note to prove otherwise.

I feel so let down. This is my second pregnancy with the company and last time they were unsupportive too. I slipped over on water and they said I was overreacting.

I've had cramps and been tired which has made me slow down. I can't help feeling exhausted. I have a 2year old to look after too and work 5-10 x

No it's not an illness, according to the World Health Organization it's a MEDICAL CONDITION. Anytime you feel the work environment isn't safe you need to write it down, date it, sign it, copy it, and hand it to your employer. This helps covers your butt. They cannot fire you due to discrimination and they are required to provide a safe workplace for you. Write down any dates they pull you aside and take notes about what they say to you. In fact I'd sit there taking notes just so they know you're recording it. Can you contact a lawyer to get free advice? You don't want to wait until they fire you to know how to handle this situation.:growlmad:

I absolutely disagree!

If a women is feeling tired that is her body telling her to slow down while she is cooking her beautiful baby. An employee should appreciate this and also have the intelligence to know that the tiredness will be short lived. A pregnant woman should not go flat out, forcing her body to do more than it is capable if she is feeling tired, as this could put her baby at risk.

I work for the biggest chemical company in the world and this is the policy they HAVE to follow, taken directly from HSE/Government:

If any risk to an employee's health is identified, the company's occupational health department, in conjunction with the employee's supervisor and HR will take the necessary action to ensure that the risk is removed. This may be done through a variety of methods which may include:

■Changing the employee's hours.
■Changing the employee's working conditions.
■Offering alternative work.
■Paid leave (if all the above is not possible).
Any measures taken to remove the risks will continue for as long as the risk exists.

The health and safety of an employee should supersede that of profit and the greed of company owners.

Company's DO have a legal obligation to protect their employees, even if it is just because i pregnant women is tired.

I understand how upsetting it must be, especially since you are giving your all, however I also understand why a business would have problems with an employee who is not performing to their full capacity, regardless of the reason. From their perspective, their business shouldn't have to suffer (losing sales, unhappy customers, having other employees upset at having to pick up more responsibilities without extra pay, etc...) because of their employees choice to become pregnant. It's not personal, it's business. I am a behavioral therapist and work with children with autism. If my performance decreases, I absolutely expect to be reprimanded. It's just not okay to not perform at the same level, regardless of what's going on in my personal life.

Perhaps it might be best for you to look for another job after all? If you do stay, will it only stress you out, exhaust you, and make you miserable?

Are you kidding me? We have discrimination laws in most developed nations that deal with employers poor treatment of pregnant women, we have safe workplace conditions, we have the WHO which has assigned pregnancy as a medical condition, just like if you got cancer (well, not quite but just as valid), and finally why would she quit her job when she's got maternity leave to work for and a LO at home?
It's not the Corporation that we have to worry about suffering here, it's human beings.:dohh:

I think the fact that you've told them you are pregnant and then they pull you up on performance is questionable. They are walking on thin ice.

I don't have any advice like the rest of these girls but I just wanted to mention that during my last pregnancy I had the SAME thing happen to me. My boss told me I was not giving my 100% and further action would be taken if I don't step it up. I was literally doing my best with the way I was feeling. I ended up quitting right before I miscarried. I quitbecause I thought it was ridiculous that they assigned me hours like 4 am to 3 pm one week and 6 pm to 5 am the very next week and expect a pregnant women to give their standard of "100%". Sorry for the rant. Please don't over work yourself for the sake of your boss.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kayzee94
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->