Feel like giving up breastfeeding

Jo1987

Reaction score
Hello,

Need some advice or someone to tell me to get a grip lol.

LO is 18 days old and I ebf for the first two days which I thought was great but then she went five hours breastfeeding through the night on day 3 and I gave in and gave her formula. We have been combi feeding since as it works for us especially with a toddler aswell. However the last two days baby wants to be on the breast all day and I mean all day! Then she gets so frustrated after a couple of hours we end up giving her a bottle which she downs (usually 4oz) then seems content.

Today I've fed for three hours and it feels like my boobs are empty baby is frustrated again so topping her off with a bottle!

Now I'm frustrated because I feel like I've messed up my milk supply. Latch is fine because midwife checked yesterday but I just feel like crying.
I tried breastfeeding for as long as it takes but after three hours baby is starving and my nipples are red raw!

I feel like giving up but don't want to admit defeat so soon.

Any one got any advice?

I would continue to let her nurse off of you, and if you feel that she is still hungry and needs a bottle of formula, then I would pump. I've had my fair share of giving formula since I can't stand to see my baby hungry - but I 99% of the time pump when he gets formula. And my supply is perfect. I'm pumping at work more than he eats in a day apparently.

Their growth spurts can be fierce!!! Hang in there mama. :hugs: I didn't get my LO's feeding under control until he was almost a month. :( I had severe latch issues which then started to affect my supply. But we got through it, and he's a happy, chunky baby. :flower:

I agree with the last post , DONT GIVE UP! Breastmilk is soo good for your baby ! I have been pumping and breastfeeding and it was tuff at first , I also felt like I wasn't getting enough milk but your body will adjust and start producing more milk ( supply and demand) I started to adjust but I never could build up a "stock" for my fridge . I started to take fenugreek and now I have tons of milk ! (Wouldn't recommend using fenugreek right away , because like I said your body shoulda adjust, but if you want to pump and build up a supply fenugreek is great) hang in there mama! It's hard but breastmilk is so good for baby

If the combo feeding is working for you then stick with it. Maybe just pick some feeds you enjoy doing and stick with those and give formula for the others. Or limit the amount of top up you are giving. So don't give enough that she doesn't want to eat for hours.

A top up is a top up,so maybe just look at giving only 3 oz for a week then reduce it to 2oz for a week and so on until you aren't giving top ups. This is what I did with DS when we went from combo feeding to EBF.

Your boobs will feel empty if she is constantly on them for three hours. I know its not recommended but I used to make DS wait 90 mins from the start of the first boob in the feed before he could have that boob again. So usually we got through both boobs and then there was about 20 mins where I would give him to DH or put him down and do stuff for me etc, and then start again. I couldn't sit there for hours at the start dry nursing. It was way too painful and I just felt inhuman. It made such a difference taking that time to shower, toilet, go outside, talk on the phone, eat etc. This worked out well for us. Maybe something to consider.

Sounds like baby is cluster feeding! It's totally normal and it actually helps you produce more milk. Breastfeeding is all about "supply and demand." Baby demands more milk, so your body will do what it needs to do to supply it! You baby's tummy is the size of a chicken egg right now... it won't take a lot to fill her up. Also, she may be nursing for comfort. If your nipples are killing you(if you're anything like me when my boy was cluster feeding, they are!!) maybe try a nipple shield for a couple feeds. Most people won't suggest the shield, but if your baby is going back and forth between bottle and breast with no problem, you shouldn't have any nipple confusion problems with it. Nipple shields were a lifesaver for me! They helped me continue breastfeeding when I was ready to give up. I hurt so bad that I would cry every time I had to feed my baby for about two weeks... then it got better and my nipples "toughened" up! Now it doesn't hurt at all and I enjoy every moment of it. Even though it probably doesn't seem like it at the moment, it does get better. Just keep reminding yourself of the amazing thing you are doing for your baby... it's so worth it! Good luck, lady! :flower:

Here is a site I found that has a lot of useful info... https://www.ameda.com/breastfeeding/the-first-12-months

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->