feel like i am being pressured OUT of breast feeding?

missriddler

Reaction score
my baby girl will be a week old tomorrow, I am breast feeding her.
I will admit its not easy, she wants to feed ALL of the time, and im ok with that as shes getting my milk supply established - but because she does get hungry so much and cry, they are all really pushing me to put her on a bottle. I dont want to do this, his mum and sister both bottle fed their children from birth so without being disrespectful - how much can they really know about breast feeding? my mum and sister both breast fed their children from birth and reassure me of how well i am doing, and only yesterday at the midwife appointment was i told i wasnt latching her on properly, since then she is doing much better, quieter and more settled which is great.
I dont understand why they dont want me breast feeding? is it that when they are around they dont like the crying? is it that they want to feed her?
I understand that my partner feels he is missing out on the bonding that feeding brings, and he wants to take some of the strain off of me, but I WANT to breast feed, mostly I enjoy it, although sometimes i do get frustrated - so does baby girl, its something we are both new to and learning about together...
What can I REALLY do or say to them to get them off my back??
I feel I am doing fine breast feeding and want to continue?

Just try and ignore them and fob them off for a few weeks. You've carried your baby for 9month it's your decision nobody else's and it's the most natural thing in the world to breastfeed (providing someone is able).

I struggled through the first four weeks if I'm honest, felt like he was attached to me all day. Nearly caved in to formula myself so glad I didn't now. He's much more settled as we have just introduced a dummy and have 'sort of' routine feeding times. When your established you will be able to express so your other half can share in the experience. This is yoir special time with baby though in my opinion, he can get involved bonding in other ways, maybe his special time with baby could be bath time!?

I expressed with my first son as he was prem, in hospital first couple of weeks and I never fully established my supply. When we visited my inlaws they were like oh its auntie such and such turn to feed. I used to think eh, hang on I'm his mum if I was breastfeeding this would not be happening! I used to get so stressed watching people not winding him properly and then him crying and was too quiet to say anything! This time I feel so much more relaxed cos I feel in control of the situation.

Be strong for you and baby and say no. Get your oh on side, he should be supporting you and sticking up for you wanting to do what you feel is best for baby. Your doing fab! X

Sounds like you are doing great! Be strong and be firm. If you allow them to pressure you, you will probably regret it and end up resenting them over it. Do what you feel is best for your baby. They are only little once and his mum and sister will have to get over it.

It gets better I promise!

I actually supplemental fed my baby formula or expressed pumped milk 1-2xs a day to allow my DH time with the baby.

But at 5 weeks of age, and a whole lot of gassy crying baby. I decided to only feed bresst milk. Shes almost 7 weeks old and is doing excellent and my supply is amazing.

I started off like you, it felt rough the first few weeks! And it is rough! Especially during their growth spurts. But just hang in there. By a month and a half old, you'll be very thankful and happy you did.

Tell them to leave you alone...but more nicely (maybe). Hang in there, it will get easier. Plus, I doubt a formula fed baby will cry any less anyway.

Stick to your guns.

You are doing the best thing you can do for your bubs and once breast feeding is established u can always pump a bottle here and there for your partner to feed.

Its great u want to continue despite the pressure to stop :)

People can be afraid or mistrustful or just unsure of things they don't know, and I suspect this is the case with your inlaws. Don't give in to their pressure unless you want to or you will probably regret it.

And remember that the novelty of feeding a baby wears off fast, and your inlaws and partner won't be there the majority of the time your baby needs fed, so don't let that arguement sway you as it'll be you washing, sterilising and making up countless bottles! Also, your partner can bring the baby to you for feeding and wind her afterwards, so I don't see how he's missing out on bonding because you're bf-ing.

It sounds like you are doing great and when you see your LO grow before your very eyes, and you know that you've helped them to thrive all by yourself, I can promise you that you'll be so proud of yourself. Feel free to remind your inlaws and partner of that sometimes - you are still growing your baby all by yourself - as it really is amazing when you think about it!

Don't give into pressure and do what you want to do. I second that they could just not understand or find something about it uncomfortable, but they aren't you and or your baby so their opinions don't matter.

Everyone supported my breastfeeding but I was given so much bad advice, or people said things to me that weren't accurate. I did have some scoff at my NIP and told me I really should pump a bottle for her (even though she wouldn't take one and I also got a bunch of advice on that mess too!)

The only time i was pressured into stopping was when she hit a year and we continued to nurse.. and it got worse when I got pregnant. My grandmother actually told me my daughter would get sick if she nursed while I was pregnant.

My hubby didn't have the desire to feed a baby, not sure if he really never had one (i suspect this) or if he knew he wouldn't because I was set to breastfeed. He took over diaper changes and now is in charge of getting the stubborn toddler to eat lol.

IT HAPPENED TO ME! I was pressured by my mom She was fed up with hearing her "starving" grandson cry. I will admit, I gave in for about one week and started with formula :(, but began exclusively again and we've been exclusive since. Don't let anyone pressure you out of bf'ing. It is sooo frustrating at times. You're ready for your milk to come in, baby always wants to feed, your nipples are sore. But believe me it will get better. Just keep at it, you're almost over the hump! Your milk should be in any day now, I believe it took about a week and a half for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->