Feeling guilty

welshcowgirl

mum to 3 ds and pg
Reaction score
Hi.

My ds is 14 weeks old.

We ff and started off on c&g. After a couple of weeks he started to throw itup so swapped to sma gold. He was fine for a few days then threw that up. So put him on sma staydown. He was fine on that until a few weeks ago, but the teat kept blocking up, and after a few sips we would have to unblockit. So we put him back on gold. He kept it down, but could take up to an hour and half to feed.

So last night I gave in and gave him some baby rice pudding. He loved it and ate about half A jar. We have had no effects after giving it him. He slept like a log.

I just feel so guilty as he is so young.

I would go and see your doctor and ask what you should do. Could you not use a faster flowing teat for the staydown formula?
Some babies who have reflux do sometimes need solids early but I don't think desserts are the way to go.
As I said, I would definitely seek professional advice.

He was on size 3 teats with the staydown milk!!!!

Seeing docs tomorrow anyway.

Didn't post for a lecture.

Its your choice, ur baby, do what you feels right xxx i hope you solve the problem xxx

Welshcowgirl - Claire was only giving advice. Maybe the fact that you are feeling guilty made you take it the wrong way but honestly, Claire wouldn't lecture!

Anyway, you have to do what is right for little one and the best thing would be to get some medical advice.

I am sorry if I took it the wrong way, but I am quite aware that you are not suposed to offer solids before 17 weeks.

But I think anybody who's baby was only taking 3 6 oz bottles in 24 hours would want to do something.

Of course you want to do something - hope you get some decent advice from the Dr.:hugs:

what about trying another formula.. theres HIPP... aptamil, heniz nuture is meant to be good for reflux? i think if you arent 110% sure that solids are the way to go, then its worth trying out all the others first, incase you find one that suits him better... and also like the others said, see your HV and / or GP first, as there are things to be ruled out (lactose intolerance etc) before assuming solids are the answer.... maybe he even needs a prescription formula?
good luck!

Went to see docs. He said with the probs we been having it's fine to try him with a bit, and the way he been reacting to it (eAting it fine, crying for more, and settling better) he ready for it.

im REALLy not wanting to start anything here... but im curious so have to ask...
did your dr speak to you at all about the disadvantages of weaning so early, or did he just flat out say its fine?
i cant tell you what to do, nor do i want to, but if it were ME id defo try out all other options before weaning so early... there is clear evidence that its MUCH better to wait as long as possible, and 14 weeks is very early.
also....'trying him with a bit' is a bit vague for a dr to be honest... does it mean just try and then hold off to 6 months, or try him with a bit now then increase it and increase it until hes eating 3+ meals a day within a few weeks?

He said to me that it is better to hold off to at least 17 weeks, 6 months even better, but because I have tried so many different formulas and he drink so little, suffers from reflux and he always suffers of an evening. He crys for a few hours. It would be ok to give him a couple of spoons of baby rice for tea. He said to keep him on that for as long as possible. If I feel he need more before 6 months. To see him again.

Sorry the 1st post was so vague.

ahhh i didnt realise you'd tried loads, i thought it was just SMA & C&g! did he not suggest baby gaviscon or anything to actually help with the reflux other than starting solids so very early? i think id be wanting to see another GP... its not fair of him not to suggest something to help if hes in discomfort with reflux :-(

God I only posted as I thought Imight get a bit of support.

I felt bad enough as it was.

Won't bother with this forum again.

You have received several pieces of advice and not one person said 'never give your baby any solids at this age'. Why post if not for advice? Were you just wanting people to tell you that you had done the right thing? Forums don't work like that.

If you'd maybe entitled your thread something like 'early weaning due to reflux' rather than 'feeling guilty' then more people with relevant experience might have looked at it and responded. I know there are several mums on here whose LOs have reflux and some of them weaned early under medical supervision.

why do people keep doing this....
this is a FORUM.. where people are allowed their own opinions, and allowed to speak them too! if you dont want to hear anyone elses opinion, then your right, dont bother posting... whats the point of making a post if you dont want any replies other than ones which agree with everything you say!!!!
you have answered your own question really.. if you feel bad giving him solids then stop, and search for an alternative.... perhaps like the ones people have suggested to you in the replies that you are so unhappy with?
support.... is support agreeing with everything you say, or trying to help you find a way to move forward that suits both YOU and your baby (again...like the things that have been suggested to you, that you are so unhappy with?)
i think you have had some excellent advice, but if you arent willing to consider it then you are right, there is no point in asking.
even a quick google will show you the reasons why its best to wait, and the alterntive things you can try to help your son with his refulx,other than just giving him rice pudding.

God I only posted as I thought Imight get a bit of support.

I felt bad enough as it was.

Won't bother with this forum again.

IMO people have been giving you support by trying to help you. No-one has critisised (sp?) you hun. And no-one has said anything to try and make you feel bad either. :shrug: x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leoniee
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->