Feeling guilty

seriously all other issues aside i would see another gp hun

im not debating early weaning at all, in fact where milk is not satisfying a baby i am all for it, but thats not really the case here, it seems that your lo will be having rice instead of milk as opposed to along side it? sorry if i picked it up wrong but it reads to me that your gp thinks it is ok to give your lo rice becasue they are not taking in enough milk? if thats the case i would be concerned for the nutrional value that lo is losing out on by filling up on rice and having less milk

yes its an opinion, and in no way a criticissm, but if it were me, i would be double checking that one

welshcowgirl - definitely worth asking about gaviscon. We have just started giving it to our LO who has been diagnosed with reflux quite late on. It seems to be helping a lot with him keeping the milk down and his weight has picked up this week. He's throwing up a little bit more now than when he first started taking the medicine so HV has just advised we up the dosage on some of the feeds where he is a little worse.

I know exactly how you feel as I'm so torn between wanting to hold off on solids to give him the best possible start and avoid allergies (we have several digestive problems in our families), but also can't help wondering 'what if' with baby rice etc.

I would pressure the Dr a bit on the gaviscon. Our LO has to take it with every single feed now, and if he doesn't, he throws up a lot more milk. If you give baby rice for even a couple of his feeds, that could maybe help with those, but for the feeds during the rest of the day, he could still struggle and keep throwing up and showing the symptoms of reflux which are stopping him from gaining weight and making him uncomfortable - so it could kind of defeat the object with the baby rice IYKWIM.

Good luck with it all, I know how hard reflux is on both mum and baby, and I hope you and your LO start to feel well again soon x

God I only posted as I thought Imight get a bit of support.

I felt bad enough as it was.

Won't bother with this forum again.

Er, you wanted support....and support is what you got!

These ladies are only trying to help you do what's best for your baby and offer you advice - I didn't see ANYONE giving you a lecture or being rude to you. I honestly cannot see what justifies your reaction here.

Just to clarify he has a couple of spoons full of rice. Then about 6. Oz of milk not instead of.

yep but you said your concern was that he was only taking 3 x 6oz of milk in 24hrs... there are virtually no calories in baby rice, so the issue is lack of milk, rather than lack of solids, as i understand it?
therefore surely trying a different formula, or using gaviscon with his formula so that he can keep it down would be preferable to giving him rice, even if it is only a few spoons (have to add that a few spoonfuls of anything is quite a lot for a 14 week old baby)
seriously.. if you arent happy giving him solids, then you dont have to... there are lots and lots of different things to try first before resorting to rice.....
there are a lot of ladies on here who have been advised to wean early due to refulx, then regretted it as it doesnt actually help anyway.. maybe search thru the forums to see if you can find any of their posts... theres bound to be some good first hand experience info in there

I am sorry if I took it the wrong way, but I am quite aware that you are not suposed to offer solids before 17 weeks.

But I think anybody who's baby was only taking 3 6 oz bottles in 24 hours would want to do something.

the reflux might be making it so painful for him to eat, he's not wanting to have as many milk feeds. the gaviscon really could help ease his pain and make him more keen on feeding more frequently hun x

You are being very defensive, people have only been offering you advice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leoniee
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->