Feeling overwhelmed today (warning, self pitying rant!)

Cattia

Reaction score
I'm a teacher and am just coming to the end of a lovely two week holiday where I've had lots of time at home with the kids. The past two days I've spent trying to sort the house out and get the washing up together, as well as getting some baby bits down from the loft and getting them washed as once term starts I know I'll have no time for anything!

I'm feeling so guilty about having to go back to work, which is probably at the root of my bad mood. I don't have enough quality time with the kids and spending time with them in the holidays makes me realise how much I do miss out on with being a working mum, I envy other mums who can just work really part time hours or who can stay at home. I work five days a week and we have to leave the house by 7.30, three of those days we also have to get the kids out the house and and drop them at the childminder which means being up by 6 and we always end up stressing at them because we're running late.

When I go back on Monday I am stepping into a temporary promotion, which lasts until I go on maternity leave at 38 weeks. Don't get me wrong, it's a great opportunity and it means my maternity pay will be considerably better than it would have been (main reason for doing it!) however I'm going to have a lot more stress and responsibility at work. Being a teacher means I have work to do in the evenings so the weekends are the only chance we get to do anything at home or spend any family time.

At half term I will be 35 weeks pregnant and my DH is going off skiing for a week, meaning that instead of having a break, I will have the kids on my own for the whole week. Today was meant to be my day off to go shopping and relax, but DH has put his back out and is moping around the house complaining about how he can't do anything. I'm so mad with him, which of course is ridiculous as it isn't his fault, it's just that he goes on about how I don't have any time for myself but then EVERY time I get the chance to take it he's either too tired, too ill, there's always some reason why he can't manage. He just isn't very robust whereas us mums just have to keep doing everything whether we're tired, ill, pregnant or whatever. He complains ALL the time about being tired, when he has a minor illness he takes to his bed and it's man flu, says he's getting old and doesn't have as much energy as he used to (he's 45, not 65!) Grrrrrr, must be my hormones and the stress of going back to work on Monday but just feel like I'm at my wits end! I'm sure things aren't going to be any easier with three, but at least I will have some time on maternity leave when I'm not trying to juggle busy work, home and the kids all at the same time!

Ahhhh, I feel better now I've got that off my chest! Know I shouldn't complain really, at least I have a good job that pays the bills and gives me school holidays, it would just be nice to have a little more time and a little more help at home sometimes!!

Oh my! I feel you! I'm a teacher too. Just coming off our two week break. Only I'm due Monday (the first day back to school) and my "materinty leave" starts this day but there is still no sign of baby! I don't get maternity pay, just have to use sick time/personal leave of which I only have 20 days!
Being home with my two boys has been great and I do miss being able to stay home with them. I was able to stay home with my last two for the first 6months which was wonderful (wasn't teaching then, had an evening shift job and dh had a day shift so one of us was always home). This poor little girl will be with a babysitter (my sister) from about 6 weeks old.
Sorry about you dh. I know that feeling too. It used to be worse when our boys were little but now (well not long ago) I could make plans and dh would watch the boys cause they are now old enough to do the things dh likes (ds#1 is 12 &ds#2 is 7)
Im going to miss being able to run to the store or get my nails done for some me time but on the bright side soon ill have my baby girl who can grow up to go on girls day out with momma!

Oh that sucks that you don't get maternity leave :(
I'm hoping to be able to stay off until October but it means we have to apply for a loan to cover my wages. Fingers crossed! People think teaching is child friendly, which it is in a way because at least we get the holidays, but sometimes I wish I had a job where I could come home and not have to worry about having a whole stack of work to do and where the hours are so long. When people assume that I start at 9 and finish at 3 I want to punch them, it's a 10 hour day before you even start on the evening work. Urghh definitely feeling hormonal today!
Really hope your little lady makes an appearance soon for you, were you overdue with your boys? x

I know! It kills me when i hear " you are lucky, you're off all summer" or you get weekends off every week" "must be great having a job where you only work through the school year" argh!!
I
My day starts at 5:30 getting up and ready like anyone else and being at work by 7am. I never leave til 5pm then when I get home I still have something to grade or read or prepare for!
I work at home on the weekends and all summer long. I can't leave my work at work! For my kids and family I sometimes wish I had a job where I could leave everything at work as soon as I clock out (I'd be making more money if i were paid hourly too I might add) but *sigh* I love my kiddos at school as if they were my own too.
Dh works 7:30-4 m-f and gets to leave his work at work but makes twice as much as me!
This is the most Prego I've ever been! My ds#1 was born naturally at 37 weeks (8lbs! 20.75 inches long) ds #2 induced at 38 weeks (9lbs 21.75 inches!)
At 36 weeks this little lady was estimated to be 6.5lbs! That was 4 weeks ago! So she should be around 8-9 lbs too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->