Feeling so sad - 9 mo old won't breastfeed after 1 week break

Grateful365

Very Proud Mommy, #3 OTW!
Reaction score
Help - feeling so sad. :cry:

I had a really bad flu for 7 days and to protect the baby from getting it, I sent him to family's houses while I recovered. I kept pumping, but my supply is getting extremely low....like in the danger zone.

My 9 month old came home and this morning, he wanted NOTHING to do with nursing. He looks disgusted and actually cried. I tried twice and same thing both times.

What do I do?! I'm a full time working mom and if I cant get him to nurse anymore, my supply is going to be totally gone.

I know it does not help now, but the best thing to do when your ill is feed through it as they then get the antibodies your producing. They may still get ill but it will be not as severe.

The only thing I can suggest is a quiet room when sleepy and then offer.

I normally have kept breastfeeding while sick, however with something as severe as the flu I did not want to chance the baby getting it from me. He did keep getting my pumped milk so he should have been still getting the antibodies.

I'm going to try again tonight at bedtime.......wish me luck!!!

I have no real advice, other than agreeing with trying when he is tired, maybe try a skin to skin cuddle and then slowly encourage him back on, but no idea if that would work.

I hope it works out for you x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->