Feeling the need to cotton wool wrap my premie

KIALea

Reaction score
Hi Guys

We brought home our daughter last night from the neonatal unit, she is 35+1 day old in gestation but 2 weeks and 4 days old outside the womb. They initially said she wouldn't come home until at least 36-37 weeks but her progress has been outstanding and shes home with us :)

Is it ok to walk her in the pram to the shops? i had a section and cant drive, the hospital never said i couldn't take her out but im worried shes still very small 3lb 9oz and vulnerable to germs etc ??

Its completely normal to feel like you need to keep her safe from the world after being so isolated!
Our neonatal unit let us take our 27 weeker out at about 37/38 weeks for a little walk. It was scary but I'm glad we did that as we were more relaxed when we went home!

If you feel a bit worried, call the neonatal unit and see what they say :)

Once they are out, it is usually fine to take them out. After all, you've already walked through a hospital, to a car park and into your home! The only thing we were advised to avoid for a wee while was things like large shopping centres which have artificial air. A nice walk to the park would be fine!

i brought my dd home at 35 weeks she was born at 29 weeks (twins) and i didnt take her anywhere with people untill she was at least 40 weeks gestation..only place she went was back to the hospital to see her brother who stayed in nicu for a further 6 weeks!

kialea.. i see your from essex also..what hospital was u at?

just to add they are now 20 weeks and i still wont take them to crowded places (town centre and shopping trips) .my sons still on oxygen too.

Also, from a parent's perspective, it will do you good to get out too.

One thing though, prepare yourself for some REALLY stupid comments, especially with the size of your LO. People can be seemingly insensitive, but just always remember their comments generally come from a good place and is purely borne of inexperience.

hello, not been online for a few days...i rang neonatal and they said its fine to go for walks and to parks etc just dont spend too long in crowded places like tesco etc.

I was at broomfield hospital in chelmsford x

Even when I told people mine were preemies, they still felt the need to touch them, soi always cover their car seats up when in stores. But I took my 29 weeks twins out all the time, even when son was still on apnea monitor. I needed the sanity!

I took Ethan out in his pram once and hated it! He looked like a pea rattling around! after that I babycarried him and it felt like he was more protected and I relaxed a lot more. He was 37 weeks when he came home so not as early as your LO but it was just after C'mas so we were worried about very very cold weather as well as germs!
Maybe try babycarrying :)x
As Foogirl said, beware comments! When someone said my little boy was lovely and how old was he and I said 3 months they actually said 'Are you sure?' !!!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->