Female Circumcision

Also ,is it true about an old practice for Jewish Rabbis to use a thumb nail and alcohol to circumcise on babies at birth? Can't remember who told me this, could have been my midwife friend or Jewish friend?!

I'm Jewish, and that is absolutely ridiculous and horrifying. NOT TRUE.

I actually can't remember who told me this!! I did think it was pretty horrifying so thanks for clarifying!

they are both forms of mutilation

mu·ti·late (my t l- t ). tr.v. mu·ti·lat·ed, mu·ti·lat·ing, mu·ti·lates. 1. To deprive of a limb or an essential part; cripple. 2. To disfigure by damaging irreparably:

A foreskin is a. Not a limb it's skin, b. it isn't essential, c.men aren't crippled I assure you they use their penis's just as much, d._and most American women will tell you it certainly is disfigured, it appears more attractive.

Female genital mutilation damages all hope for sexual pleasure therefor it is essential and cripples them. So so different. I'm out of this debate though because I have debated circumcision about all I want to in 2nd trimester once I had already replied here. Good luck with your children ladies!

Who said it is not essential? I think it has been asserted that circumcised men have reduced sensitivity during sex. FGM does not damage all chances of orgasm. Women can climax via their g-spots, so a clitorectomy would not necessarily be a hinderance to sexual enjoyment.

Why do people get into debate if they don't want to see it through? that is a genuine question though?

I think sometimes people come in here expecting to be a bit I dunno, less structured (basically a lot of bitching/cat calling/ mudslinging) which is how things can get on the end of the forum. Some one makes a better bigger whitty/bitchy/ comment and then there's the 'groups'

Here its about questioning our own and each other beliefs, some people arent open to that, for various reasons. Either they dont know why they believe something, they arent educated/informed in the area, its too personal and becomes hurtful.

Thats what I think anyway ;)

I think sometimes people come in here expecting to be a bit I dunno, less structured (basically a lot of bitching/cat calling/ mudslinging) which is how things can get on the end of the forum. Some one makes a better bigger whitty/bitchy/ comment and then there's the 'groups'

Here its about questioning our own and each other beliefs, some people arent open to that, for various reasons. Either they dont know why they believe something, they arent educated/informed in the area, its too personal and becomes hurtful.

Thats what I think anyway ;)

Or maybe it's what I said. Sorry I came in here. I honestly was up for the debate before I spent 2 days of my life debating the issue in the 2nd trimester forum. Check it out if you want. It got pretty interesting. I just honestly don't want to go through everything I've already said again. Sorry I didn't follow the protocol for the oars or whatever. Like I said yesterday, up for the debate, today, more confident then ever in my decision and not wanting to hash it out anymore. P.s kudus to y'all if you can orgasm via gspot, jealous!

I find the debate section easier to have my say without being 'attacked' i understand that people have a difference in opinion and that others will either agree or disagree and in this section its about voicing your own opinion, listening to others opinions, debating those opinions, and maybe having our own opinions changed.
I honestly do not think anyone comes in here as excuse to bitch and be catty and gang up or make others feel like they are doing wrong. its simply not like that in here from my experience.

i can understand that else where on the forum members get 'attacked' for voicing their opinion on a subject and are ganged up on by 'the groups' and people get invovled in things purely because there 'friends' have whether they agree or not, i have also had experiences like this else where in the forum.

i think people should not be afraid to debate in this section as the people that generally use this section like a debate, like their own views questioned, like to think about things from other points of view and take on board other points of view and honestly do not take it personally....i really do not think people use this section as an excuse to hurt, argue and make others feel bad for their views xx

As it goes i still do not think male circumcision is anywhere near in the same league as female genital mutilation, if it was, wouldnt male circumcision also be reffered to as male genital mutilation. ? .

I can also say an ex of mine was circumcised and his penis looked far from mutilated and there was nothing wrong with his sex drive if anything he needed to keep it in his pants!! anyway thats another thread!

its the reasoning behind doing the female mutilation that is just as wrong... if the reasonings were exactly the same as male cirumcision and there were actually benefits and no where near as many risks and it didnt do more harm than good....we probably wouldnt be debating it right now.

I think a circumcised male penis does not look mutilated because its what is depicted alot on public displays of penis..such that it has become the "norm"... but if you compare it to an uncircumsized one..surely it must look mutilated

I think a circumcised male penis does not look mutilated because its what is depicted alot on public displays of penis..such that it has become the "norm"... but if you compare it to an uncircumsized one..surely it must look mutilated

They definitely look different. But im not sure mutilated a word Id use simply because when the penis is erect the foreskin draws back, so the different in a erect penis is very little. Just in a flaccid state where it is most noticeable.

personally mutilated isnt a word i would use to describe a circumcised penis as it just looks like a erect penis all the time iykwim they both look very similar when erect.

I think circumcised penises look really weird when they're flacid but of course they look 'fine' when erect as uncircumcised penises look exactly the same! I dont understand that part of the 'more attractive' arguement really as surely the only time you're going to be looking at it and caring is when you're having sex.

I would have thought that removing a part of an organ was disfiguring it. It does not look the same as nature intended it to, so it's effectively disfigured :shrug:
My two cents? Both practices should be outlawed.

My husband in circ'd, my son is not...now that I have seen a penis as God intended, I think a circ'd one looks, well, destroyed.

As it stands i do not think a penis is attractive regardless lol!!!

I have been thinking alot more on this subject and i do think that the foreskin is obviously there for a reason............but i understand the reasoning for some people to also choose to circumcise males...... there are proven health benefits so i guess as with anything in parenting you research and base you decisions on this weighing up the pros and cons. I feel the reason why people choose to circumcise are valid ones and do it because they think this will be better for there son.

Female genital mutilation doesnt have any health benefits at all and the main reason behind doing it is:

FGM is considered by its practitioners to be an essential part of raising a girl properly—girls are regarded as having been cleansed by the removal of "male" body parts. It ensures pre-marital virginity and inhibits extra-marital sex, because it reduces women's libido. Women fear the pain of re-opening the vagina, and are afraid of being discovered if it is opened illicitly

There are only cons and lots and lots more risks involved.... which is why i feel it is no where in the same league as male circumcision and the reasons behind doing it are not valid imo and basically it is done to try and control females.
In some religions/countries women are not classed as equal to men and are treated as such and i think the fgm is another symptom of this rather than having the female best interest at heart. if that makes sense.

if it had the same pro's and not really any cons' and less risks involved like the male circumcision and people choose to do it because they felt it really did benefit the female and protect health wise then i would see them both as equal but it is no where near the same imo

xxx

Nobody has researched the health benefits of FGM though..so its hard to say conclusively.. "there are no benefits" ...(BTW I am very much against FGM)

Plus penis look hot..smelly

I don't think modifying my childs body in any way, that she doesn't need to save her life, is right until she if of the age where she can make the decision herself, i know that when i have a son, my answer will be the same.

Nobody has researched the health benefits of FGM though..so its hard to say conclusively.. "there are no benefits" ...(BTW I am very much against FGM)

Plus penis look hot..smelly

^^^^^^^^^:haha:

But surely there should be health benefits for reasoning behind female cirumcision in the first place???? iykwim

This is an interesting question.
I may be a bit different from a lot of people on here as I do feel that it is absolutely fair to compare male circumcision and FGM. For me, the important similarity is that there is an unnecessary (in non-medical cases), invasive surgical procedure happening to the genitals of an infant or young girl who is not being given autonomy and choice over their own body. The extent and outcomes of the modifications may be very different, but the principle behind them is the same. And that principle, in my opinion, is a very odd and damaging one, left over from a different time. It needs to go the way of foot-binding, corsets, and other bizarre things that we've done to the human body over our long history.
I did a minor in women's studies and had a lot of case studies on FGM. It is just as complex as our perception of male circumcision. There are wealthier people who do hire surgeons to remove the clitoral hood under anesthetic. If this was the norm, I wonder if we would be so hesitant to compare it with male circumcision?

I don't think you are a bad parent if you get your son or daughter circumcised. I think you are doing what you think is socially correct. What I would like to see is an evolution of "socially correct" to a place in which body modification is done by consenting, conscious adults.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->