FET--Transfer 1 or 2? Yup, that question ;)

fina

Reaction score
Hi Ladies,

I've been researching and oscillating all week. 1 or 2, 1 or 2...

I'm 38. Unexplained infertility, trying for 3 years, one missed MC at 9 weeks, 3-4 chemicals, several failed IUIs, one failed IVF that didn't go so well as I started surging before my trigger.

This IVF cycle has gone very well. I was on 300 gonal / 150 menopur / HGH. I also supplemented with Ubiquinol and DHEA for 3 months prior, weekly acupuncture. I ended up with 23 eggs retrieved, 20 mature, 16 fertilized, quite a few on day 3 (didn't get clear info on this) and ultimately 2 day-5 blasts (4AB and 3AB) and 3 day-6 blasts (4BA, 4BB, 4BC). So I have 5 frozen blasts. These have not been PGS tested. It was a freeze-all cycle because my progesterone started to elevate.

I don't have a problem with the idea of twins in theory. My fear is that I would be more likely to lose the pregnancy or have other complications.

Financially considerations... I could pay $2500 for one transfer (of up to 2 embryos) or $3900 for unlimited transfers. If I decide on $2500/1 transfer then all others would be $1500/ea so this route would obviously get much more expensive if I have to do more than 2 transfers.

Since I've been trying for so long and am about to turn 39, I'm obviously anxious to get pregnant asap. And transferring 2 would give me a bit better chance. But I know it would also give be a higher chance of twins which *could* ultimately set me back even further.

I would love to hear what others would do in this situation! Thank you for reading and for your thoughts!

I would probably do two. I haven't done a FET. Our first was an IVF baby. We did a fresh transfer and transferred one blast, and got one baby. We had five frozen blasts. When trying for number two, they were stored 2,2, 1. We again transferred one, it didn't take. We were then going to transfer 2, and just be happy with whatever happened. Appallingly, the remaining 4 didn't survive the thaw. I think you need to decide if twins were to occur, if that's something you would be able to handle or if that's something you even possibly want. Good luck.

It's always a difficult one but after a few failed cycles I always went with two as it increased my chances to 60%. I think it's impossible to know what is going to happen. With embryos from the same cycle my first two took but both were ectopic, I had one frozen which we transferred a few months later but it was negative. My next new cycle I had two transferred again and now pregnant with one perfect bean. There were 6 of us cycling at the same time at my clinic and all of us had two transferred, 3 of us fell pregnant with a singleton and the other 3 with twins, all pregnancies are still going well. Yes twins can mean more complications but I think we are so far advanced in the medical field now there is no reason for you not to have a healthy pregnancy.

If you are open to the idea of twins then I say go for it, it makes more sense to transfer two than not too and only one may implant. You just never know.

Good luck with your decision and I wish you all the best x

I agree. At 39, unfortunately some of your eggs were probably chromosomally abnormal so you'll likely have better success with transferring 2 embryos. Since you are okay with twins, it's probably the way to go. And I hate the old trying to gamble on what to pay. I feel I chose wrong by doing 2 fresh and unlimited frozen and wish I'd gotten more total from the beginning. It's so hard to know.

Good luck!!

Also I was curious if you'd explain how you knew you were surging before retrevial on your last cycle? I had bad results on my first cycle and am currently in the progress of taking supplements to improve stuff and am interested in HGH for the next cycle as well.

If you are financially able to do more than one transfer, I would recommend only transferring one. A healthy embryo will have just as much chance of success whether you put it in alone or with another. The only reason to transfer 2 is if you only get one shot at a transfer. My opinion; one my RE agrees with wholeheartedly.

Thank you all for your feedback! I really appreciate it.

Bronte
, the day I was supposed to trigger with my first IVF, my LH came back elevated (16 I think) and my progesterone was approaching 3. Who knows with this 2nd IVF what helped...the higher doses of Gonal, the addition of Menopur, the addition of HGH, the supplements, all of the above? If I have to do this again (hopefully not!!!) I will definitely use HGH again. My first IVF I only had 6 eggs retrieved, 3 fertilized, and ultimately 3 day-3 embryos of not the greatest quality.

Jsquared
, I think you've articulated where I'm at with my thoughts on this. I'd initially been set on 2, but then questioned the real benefit of this...and there doesn't seem to be one since I can do 1-at-a-time transfers without much additional cost, just additional time I guess. And it would be safer.

Thanks so much for the response. I'm definitely strongly considering the HGH for the next one! And it is so hard to tell what works, since most of us just want to try anything.

I think the stats are if you transfer two as opposed to one, it's about 7 percent more likely to end in pregnancy (but only because one could be abnormal). But you are much more likely to get twins. Because jsquared is correct that if it's a healthy embryo it's not going to really matter. I agree that you are safer buying the package to get unlimited transfers. And if you are going to spend the money on it, you might as well just do one at a time to reduce the twin risk, if you are worried at all about it.

We were only going to transfer one at a time because we had unlimited FETs in our package.

Good luck in the decision!

At your age sorry I would pay the $3900 and transfer 2 to start. The money "loss" is not really a lot in the grand scheme of things and since you have 5 potentially up to 5 transfers. Also at your age probably 40-50% of those embryos are abnormal so they won't make a baby or you could have a miscarriage due to chromosomal issues. Due to those odds I would say pay the $3900. You could start with 1 and see what happens but really you should do 2 to start. So you lose $1400 if the first transfer works or if it doesn't you are out $100 more if you don't pay upfront. I always go for the side of caution. I paid for 2 ivf cycles with my new re and it was "only" $4000 more (my ivf history is not good) but if the cycle failed t was $12k more. The cycle worked and I'm out $4k but in the grand scheme of things I'm glad I paid for 2 cycles. Good luck decoding!

I have twins and it's hard work but so amazing and to think I always thought it would never happen adyer our journey so 2 is a blessing. Of course many have complications with twin pregnancies bur.mine was fine. Good luck. Oh and mobaby I remember you from hers a ago. Congratulations! Xxx

Unfortunately we aren’t experts here. :shrug: Just some rough thoughts because all our cases are so different!
I would better talk to your doctor about your possible risks of complication with multiples if there are any. I was in great health, besides being overweight, and I developed pre-e with my pregnancy. A few hours before my water broke my blood presides was 150/100. Any amount of multiples will cause greater stress on the body. Even simply because the human body is more meant to be pregnant with one baby.
We had planned to only transfer one. And the day of my transfer our RE recommended two due to their quality and my health condition. So we did follow her advice. But one of our embies vanished later....

We were talking about the same thing this week. I just hit 35 and hubs is 40 this year, we have been trying for over five years now.

We transferred one last time and it took, although ended up with a loss at 21 weeks this September which was just devastating. We have 3 embryos left so we are wondering do we thaw one and see if it works or thaw two just in case one doesn't make it, but if they both thaw nicely do we put two back in...?
Ugh, I am terrified to carry two but I would love twins.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->