• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Fetal Fibronectin test/ non stress test positive at 33 weeks

OhMJH

Reaction score
Earlier this week, I lost my mucus plug or at least a large part of it and after spending all day today with period like cramps and a very hard bump, I went to get checked out at the Day Unit. Tightenings were irregular and my cervix was soft but not dilated, but the Fetal fibronectin test/non stress test (which checks if you've released a protein which is found when your body is getting ready to deliver the baby) came back positive which means there's an increased chance I will deliver in the next few weeks. I am 33+2.

I've had 2 steroid shots to mature baby's lungs I'm case she does come early, and am currently walking around like a crab because her head is so low. Cramps all day and a permanently hard bump so I can't really tell if there's increased Tightenings. Does anyone have any experience of this?

what was your outcome?
i was tested positive at 29 + 3 days & currently on bedrest in hospital, 30+2 weeks.
im on my toes!

what was your outcome?
i was tested positive at 29 + 3 days & currently on bedrest in hospital, 30+2 weeks.
im on my toes!

I don't know if I can help but I had at least 4 positives from 22 weeks. I went to 40 weeks. I had a 27 weeker in the previous pregnancy so I totally thought I was gonna go early again!!

They are not the best indicator , in fact, the large majority of positives are false positives. So the odds are in your favour :)

Hi AtomicPink! I've seen all your posts actually so it was great to hear that.
I know it's not a good indication - but makes me super nervous!
Were you hospitalized for any length of time because of the positive test?

Hi AtomicPink! I've seen all your posts actually so it was great to hear that.
I know it's not a good indication - but makes me super nervous!
Were you hospitalized for any length of time because of the positive test?

Nope, I was actually a part of a research trial and learnt a lot about them. Any positives were followed up by a cervical scan because a positive on its own wasn't reliable enough to determine whether you should be admitted/steroids etc.

My cervical length always seemed average enough so each positive was discredited. Once you get to mid 3rd tri the chance of them being positive is even higher simply because you are nearing term.

I wont lie, I was still scared! :hugs:

Did your baby arrive OhMJH?

I had what you described and a positive fibronectin test at 33+6 weeks, 4 hours later he was born (natural delivery). He spent two weeks in the special care baby unit. He's just turned one and is healthy and a complete joy. Hope everything worked out well for you :flower:

Wow so they just sent you home eh?
I have been & am hospitalized for observation. At first it was just to be 48 hours but then I had cramps from the night I was examined and so I've been stuck here. My doctor is a 'safer than sorry' person and I'm grateful for it.
I've been put on Blood Pressure meds which has gotten rid of the cramps & today's going to be my first day off them. I'm very nervous to see if my cramps come back or not. Maybe end of week I can go home. But we'll see....It's very scary indeed. I'm nervous every day. Every morning I wake up & wonder what that day's going to be like.

GI_Jane, I guess based on when they did your test the Positive was a true positive. This is the other thing, they give you a time line of two weeks but who knows when that test would have become positive to begin with, you know?
It's a horrible waiting game. I'm really happy your boy was born healthy & he could go home not long after.

Wow so they just sent you home eh?
I have been & am hospitalized for observation. At first it was just to be 48 hours but then I had cramps from the night I was examined and so I've been stuck here. My doctor is a 'safer than sorry' person and I'm grateful for it.
I've been put on Blood Pressure meds which has gotten rid of the cramps & today's going to be my first day off them. I'm very nervous to see if my cramps come back or not. Maybe end of week I can go home. But we'll see....It's very scary indeed. I'm nervous every day. Every morning I wake up & wonder what that day's going to be like.

If you've had cramps, I think it was the best option :)

I got sent home Friday...so I'm home now. But I'm paranoid as all hell.

:hugs: 31 weeks so far, you're doing GREAT!

It's been two weeks since I was first admitted in hospital.
I'm still nervous I'm going to pop any day. Every day that passes I am grateful.
I have my follow up appointment with my OB and ultrasound this Wednesday.
Were you on bedrest until you gave birth?

I know 31 weeks is a good thing. But I don't feel comfortable having a baby yet. I had my daughter at 32 weeks. She passed five days after birth. Complications due to infection. I really wanna make it to 37 weeks at least!!

It's been two weeks since I was first admitted in hospital.
I'm still nervous I'm going to pop any day. Every day that passes I am grateful.
I have my follow up appointment with my OB and ultrasound this Wednesday.
Were you on bedrest until you gave birth?

I know 31 weeks is a good thing. But I don't feel comfortable having a baby yet. I had my daughter at 32 weeks. She passed five days after birth. Complications due to infection. I really wanna make it to 37 weeks at least!!

No bedrest, well, i rested, but I had a 1 year old!

You've got us ladies right behind you hun! :hugs:

Oh man, having a 1 year old would make things very difficult.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->