Fever blisters while preggers

ChellePepper

Reaction score
So I've been getting these menaces since I was a young child. I usually get one every year or so. I usually take valtrex for them, but my prescription is expired. I know they say it is safe to take while pregnant, but I haven't even been taking Tylenol for my headaches.

Now, I can see a devil of one coming up on my lip and I think I have one in my nose. It is miserable. I read somewhere that pregnancy can weaken your immune system, which would bring them out.

Anyone get these? Are they much worse during your pregnancies? They are so embarassing and I can feel that this particular outbreak is going to horrendous. I wait tables for a living and I can't afford to take anymore time off because I took last week due to my doctor putting me on bed rest.

My other symptoms are kicking my butt, too. I'm tired, moody, constipated beyond my wildest nightmare. My boobs are so sore I hardly move. My morning sickness is on and off, but usually only strikes when I smell meat cooking and I usually only gag. To top it off, I'm going to look like a monster.

I've had two so far during pregnancy! They bug me so bad! I don't take anything for them while pregnant, just suffer through. Ice at the first sign may reduce the size, but I have no real advice. :flower:

Thanks. Yeah, I've tried icing them, but it doesn't seem help mine much.

I am so bummed. All my tables look at me like I don't want you touching my food or drinks...and I don't blame them. :(

Basically a herpes sore on your mouth. I am pretty sure I got them from sharing drinking glasses with adults in my family when I was little. I've had them since I was about 5 or 6, way before I kissed a boy.

If I sound defensive, it's because I am. :blush:

Herpes (especially Simplex 1 which is usually oral) is WAY more common than people realize - and most people don't even know they have it. I guess in some ways they are the lucky ones but w/out noticeable breakouts they can spread the virus w/out knowing. I have met numerous married couples in which, after 10 years of marriage, one will have a first outbreak. Turns out the other was a silent carrier for years. 60% of the population would test positive if a blood test was done.

I understand your defensiveness but know that you are not alone.

It is surprising how many people catch it as a kid as you have done. That's how most simplex 1 is spread.

All that being said - because pregnancy does lower your immune system women tend to have more frequent and more severe outbreaks. Valtrex has been prescribed to pregnant women and I have not heard reports of complications to a pregnancy. (A good question for your medical provider though.) I understand your desire to stay away from meds. Just do what is best for you and what will make you more comfortable. If the stress of an outbreak makes it worse than meds may be better. If meds are the stress than cope with the outbreak. Just know that outbreaks may happen more during the next 9 months.

I used to be an STI counselor, medical assistant and educator. PM me if you have any questions.

Ohhh, a cold sore !! Now I get you. Everybody calls them something different. Yeah they are a nightmare preg or not !!

Oh i have two shockers on my top lip and they are sooo sore. My son got his first infection at about 9 months old and it was horrid. He had big ulcers all over his gums so much so they exposed one of the teeth in his gum.

Put some abreva on them. My DH used to be on the USMC wrestling team and he got it all over his legs and arms( didn't even know that was possible) and he put a ton of abreva on them and took epsom salt baths to help dry them up. You are more likely to get them now because of your weaker immune system. I had a friend who is a waitress and got one of the worst ones I have ever seen and she smothered it in abreva and within 2 days looked a ton better. Good luck with it. If needed call your doc and they can get you like a 3 days dose of the medicine you need.

I'm sorry, Nand. Poor little guy. I hope that it doesn't give him too much trouble in the future. I'm really worried about passing it on to my little ones, which is I know is super hard to avoid. My mother and I get them, but my sister and brother were spared.

Unfortunately Abreva doesn't work for me. Valtrex does! I just worry about taking any sort of medication.

Put some abreva on them. My DH used to be on the USMC wrestling team and he got it all over his legs and arms( didn't even know that was possible) and he put a ton of abreva on them and took epsom salt baths to help dry them up. You are more likely to get them now because of your weaker immune system. I had a friend who is a waitress and got one of the worst ones I have ever seen and she smothered it in abreva and within 2 days looked a ton better. Good luck with it. If needed call your doc and they can get you like a 3 days dose of the medicine you need.

My best advice is to stay away from anything that has sugar in it. Sugar feeds the virus that causes cold sores. Might help prevent from getting more in the future.

Valtrex is usually given to pregnant women with herpes simplex ll and is considered safe

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->