Fever?

JennyLynn512

Mom to four
Reaction score
Alright, on Friday evening Valerie felt quite warm so I decided to take her temperature rectally. It came out to be 100.0. I freaked (of course) and called the doctor, he said to let it ride out and if it gets to 100.4 then to come immediately to the emergency room. Well it never got above 100.0, it actually dropped almost right after I called him to 99.1, then down to 97.3. Well her peditrician still wanted to see her on Saturday morning to rule out anything, so we went. She was perfectly fine. She weighs great, (11lbs!!) he said she sounds great, and he can't find any reason why her temp would be elevated. Well then I got to thinking that I had, had her out in the sun on Friday afternoon and he said it could have been from that. So, we went home with a clean bill of health.

Well here is my question....he said to check every once in awhile that it is still down. So I have been. There are times where it will be 97.3 then it will be 99.1, then it will be 98.7, then 99.3....Is this an elevated temp? She is not fussing at all, she's feeding great, she doesn't feel warm, and she's all smiles. Hubby tells me that maybe her core body temperature is always going to be a little higher than 98.6...but I'm just such a worry wart that I worry about it. The doctor isn't worried, he said they really don't do much unless it is 100.4. What do you guys think?

Babies have a hard time regulating their body temps till almost a year of age. My MW had us take Bren's temp ever few hours for the first week so we could learn what his temp was just be feeling him, so we would learn if he needed more clothes or less. His temp would bounce around as well depending on if the air con was going, if he had a blanket wrapped around him and such.

Thanks, Sam. My mother said the same thing and I feel bad now for second guessing her...but I'm a new mom and every little thing makes me jump with worry! Haha! I had no idea they had trouble regulating their temp and will keep this in mind from now on! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->