few questions for mom's who've had c-sections

mtnprotracy

Reaction score
My c-section is scheduled for April 25th. I was scheduled for one because of an emergency classical c-section.....13 years ago. Needless to say, there are things I can't remember, and I was hoping you ladies could help me out :flower:. FYI....I'm in the US, NC to be exact. I know these things can vary based on location ;).

**As long as there were no complications, were you able to hold lo right away?
**How long does the stay in the "recovery" room typically last?
**Were you allowed visitors (other than you OH) in the recovery room?

I think that's it for now....though I'm likely to add to the questions as our big day approaches :D.

Thanks,

Tracy

Hi-
I had my lo by emergency c section last April (can't believe it's been that long!) in California. I think a lot of policies are based on the hospital so you may want to check what the hospital's policies are.
But here was my experience in case it helps.
I was able to hold my little guy within 2 minutes I'd say. My husband was able to "cut the cord" what was left of it I think. And he was able to walk over to where he was before he was bundled up and brought to me. We had a couple of minutes together before baby and daddy went into recovery while they sewed me back up. I think this took about 35-40 minutes. Baby got to stay with Daddy the whole time.
I got brought into recovery and then we were given our time with mom, dad, and baby. We did skin-to-skin and baby even tried to nurse :) it was a wonderful time.
We were allowed visitors in the recovery room one at a time, so my husband just brought back our families one at a time. I found it to be kind of nice that way. We got video of everyone meeting the little guy for the first time and it wasn't too overwhelming.
Sorry for the long reply. I think the 1 year birthday looming is making me very nostalgic. Best of luck!!

Hey, I'm in the uk, so may be different here, I don't know. Joshua was delivered, shown to me, cleaned up, my mum cut the cord, weighed and measured then wrapped in a blanket and passed to me whilst they stitched me up. When I went into recovery Joshua was took to nicu. I was in there a good 45mins-1hr as I got the shakes from the anaesthetic really badly. No one, partner, or mum, were allowed in recovery with me. x

I really don't think this will help as I'm in the UK and things differ from Trust to Trust, let alone different counties and countries!

After my LO was out, the MW showed me, then took for oxygen, quick clean, weigh and Vit K injection. She was wrapped in a towel and given to DH to hold whilst they stitched me up.

DH was taken by the MW into the recovery room to dress LO whilst they transferred me on to the bed and then I spent about 1hr 45mins - 2hrs in recovery. As soon as I was in there, I got to hold LO but unfortunately missed out on skin to skin :( My DH was allowed to stay until I was moved on to the ward as it was night and past visiting hours.

I live in West Virginia, USA and I had a c-section 16 months ago. They showed me my daughter for a second then took her to get her cleaned up. I was in recovery for an hour. I didn't have any visitors in there but the biological father didn't want to be there for any of it. I got to have up to 5 visitors in my room once I got there.
Good luck dear! :D

I don't know if this will be of any help since my girls were 2 months early and one was in RD-
the entire procedure including epidural, both births, tubal and stitch up took just less than an hour- The girls were brought to us one at a time to take a peek then taken directly to the NICU (Hubby went with them as per pre arrangement) I was in recovery for a little longer since I had a reaction to the anesthetic (Something we were aware before hand would most likely happen) and I think I was there for two hours and they said it was twice the usual time.

My last c-section was 7 years ago.. about to have another in July.

But I remember them holding the baby up so I could see and then he was whisked off to the side to be cleaned up, weighed, and such. Then they bundled him up and handed him to my husband while I was getting stitched up. They were there for a few minutes then My husband and the baby went off to the nursery to give him his first bath and bring him back to me in the recovery room.

In the recovery room it was just me, my husband, my daughter and baby. It was a quiet bonding time for us. And was fabulous. I got to nurse the baby, and my daughter got to hold him for a bit. We were in recovery for about an 2 hours.

After we were given our private room, and all visitors were allowed to come and go through out the rest of the day.

After 13 years the dc's still want you to have a c-sect? or was this a choice you made?

I want to try VBAC as it's very painful the first few days, up to about a week! With a 3 yr old already, it's gonna be pretty tough getting through the first week with a newborn as it is!

Anyways, after the c-sect, they showed me our little guy, and took him off to be cleaned up, and have his circumcision while they finished with me. After about 30-45 minutes, they took me to my room. I believe we could have 2-3 people in at a time to visit, I got to hold my son after about an hour after the whole ordeal. My DH was allowed to be with him the entire time! I was just really worried, and didn't want our new baby alone without one of us :)

After 13 years the dc's still want you to have a c-sect? or was this a choice you made?

I want to try VBAC as it's very painful the first few days, up to about a week! With a 3 yr old already, it's gonna be pretty tough getting through the first week with a newborn as it is!

Anyways, after the c-sect, they showed me our little guy, and took him off to be cleaned up, and have his circumcision while they finished with me. After about 30-45 minutes, they took me to my room. I believe we could have 2-3 people in at a time to visit, I got to hold my son after about an hour after the whole ordeal. My DH was allowed to be with him the entire time! I was just really worried, and didn't want our new baby alone without one of us :)

The last c-section was a classic vertical cut in a very complicated pregnancy. I had a clotting disorder...baby was delivered at 29 weeks and was the size of a 25 weeker. Doctor felt more comfortable doing another c-section. In addition, I developed gestational diabetes with this pregnancy, so baby is measuring a little big as well. Initially, I was under the care of neo-natalogists (sp??) and given my history as well as the GD, was told my best option was a planned c-section at 37 weeks.

I'm lucky thatI'll have more help than I can stand when I come home. DH is taking 2 weeks off. We are within 5 minutes of my parents and 15 minutes of his....and our kids are pretty much self-sufficient and a big help at this point :).

Wishing you the best of luck with your vbac!!!

I really don't think this will help as I'm in the UK and things differ from Trust to Trust, let alone different counties and countries!

After my LO was out, the MW showed me, then took for oxygen, quick clean, weigh and Vit K injection. She was wrapped in a towel and given to DH to hold whilst they stitched me up.

DH was taken by the MW into the recovery room to dress LO whilst they transferred me on to the bed and then I spent about 1hr 45mins - 2hrs in recovery. As soon as I was in there, I got to hold LO but unfortunately missed out on skin to skin :( My DH was allowed to stay until I was moved on to the ward as it was night and past visiting hours.

Same with me

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->