Fighting excess weight gain support

Nikko88

Reaction score
After some excess weight gain in the first trimester, I'm trying to get more accountable about my weight gain in an effort to stay within that normal weight gain.

Seven years ago, my weight topped out at 207 lbs (at 5'5" that put my BMI at 34.4). It took me four years to drop down to 147 lbs (BMI 24.5). I even dropped a few more pounds in preparation for my wedding and my first half-marathon last year. I hadn't weighed that much since I was fourteen. Basically, I had been overweight since I hit puberty.

Anyone else in a similar boat and trying to prevent gaining too many extra pounds? Want to share rants, tips and strategies?

Now that my MS has mostly passed and I'm getting some energy back, I'm trying to get this weight gain under control.

My metrics:
Pre-preg weight: 147 lbs (BMI 24.5)
First tri gain: 9.5 lbs (+4/5 lbs over the max gain)
Goal: 172 lbs (25 lbs total weight gain)

Exercise: walking the dog 30 min every day, hitting the gym for 30 min of cardio, weights or yoga 2-3 days a week

Rant: My size 8 (US) pants no longer button :nope:

Food craving: Cheese!!!

I'm also 5'5" and a few years ago I weighed around 238lbs, I lost 112lbs in a year then went on to lose a further 7lbs, so I weighed 119lbs at the beginning of my previous pregnancy, I gained around 40lbs and managed to lose most of it within 5 months, well I didn't want to lose anymore I was happy at 125lbs, I got pregnant again when my DD was around 8 months old as we wanted our kids close in age, so far I've gained 17lbs, last time at the same stage I had gained 20lbs.

I'm not worried, I just enjoy indulging in things I don't eat normally, I feel confident I can lose weight again after this LO is born.

Start weight 125lbs
Current weight 142lbs

My doctor cleared me to use the lose it app, more like a food diary. I keep it at 2300 calories but sadly I need to lose weight :( I am hoping to hVe lost when I go in as with my son I only gained 25 pounds Nd in the lSt two weeks I gained 6!!

Depending on your weight the doctor will tell you where your cLorirs should be. My doctor was ok with me going to 2000. A lories but I felt hungry so I left it at 2300....I get weighed in a week so we shall see if I have any progress!

I've probably gained close to 15lbs already :( Carbs are the devil, and that is what I crave! I gained over 90lbs with my ds 8 years ago, I am determined not to do that again!

I struggle with weight during pregnancy too. I've gained 13lbs so far (appt was today), and I'm on very low carb/sugar free diet. Dr said it is a healthy plan.

Same boat. Last week these pants fit just fine, this week I almost couldn't get them buttoned and they are highwaters... not a happy camper. I am also craving carbs of all kinds, especially pasta. Which I'm not even technically supposed to have post gastric bypass... I am just trying to keep my walking going, at least twice a day.

Weekly weigh in was +10.5 lbs at 15 weeks. The down side is that I need to give up on my size 8 clothes. They just don't fit. Neither does the light down jacket I bought last year :(

On the plus side, I am really feeling the desire to run and there's a new season of Zombies Run! out.

Yep, i was doing really well trying to get my weight down - then I got preg & that went out the window. I had no energy to exercise in 1st tri & have been eating too much crap (ive put on nearly a st do far). So now Im 16 wks and have a bit more energy Im trying to turn things around a bit.

Im just in from a 2mile walk, and Im determind to try & get out for a walk every day & ive just had a lovely late breakfast salad of: baby spinach, celery, pear, strawberries, feta & walnut (no dressing), was delicious.
Its also important to drink lots of water.

Good luck ladies, looking forward to reading your exercise & food ideas x

I gained about a stone over the year before getting pregnant and hadn't realised I had actually gained that much until I weighed myself when I got my BFP so I am determined to not gain too much weight during this pregnancy. My starting BMI was 26.9 so I only want to gain 15-25lbs. Luckily in the 1st trimester I have only gained 1lb but that was only because of lack of appetite and now the hunger is really starting to kick in so I need to get back in the gym.

Walking is great exercise. I love walking my dog.

Got a run in at the gym 3.1 miles in 36.5 minutes. Pretty sluggish, but considering I haven't been running regularly since before my BFP, it's a start. I'm not a runner, I just like accumulating numbers like mileage and pace.

Plus I really want to do another section of the Long Trail (Vermont) in about a month and need to build back the stamina I've lost over the winter.

Hurray! No weight gain this last week. This will help the average. Feeling more energetic. Also feeling like my belly is expanding away from me. I can actually see the bump beyond the gut. :happydance:

Yay for bump!

I had a dr appt on friday and according to their scale I have gained 14lbs total. I'm ok with that, not happy but not as bad as it could be! Now to gouse my new exercise dvd! :)

I'm also 5'5" and a few years ago I weighed around 238lbs, I lost 112lbs in a year then went on to lose a further 7lbs, so I weighed 119lbs at the beginning of my previous pregnancy, I gained around 40lbs and managed to lose most of it within 5 months, well I didn't want to lose anymore I was happy at 125lbs, I got pregnant again when my DD was around 8 months old as we wanted our kids close in age, so far I've gained 17lbs, last time at the same stage I had gained 20lbs.

I'm not worried, I just enjoy indulging in things I don't eat normally, I feel confident I can lose weight again after this LO is born.

Start weight 125lbs
Current weight 142lbs

So impressive that you were able to lose somuch weight! Can you share your secret? I really wanna lose weight after this baby.

I've gained 9 lbs so far the recent 5 lbs in 4 weeks. Doctor was concerned and told me to slow down although total weight gain so far is only 9 lbs. Im tryingto watch what I eat now.

I didn't do anything and it was all off (30 pounds) in 4 months. I do use a phone app to watch calories.

So far I'm up 8 this pregnancy...watching calories through out this pregnancy..

Looks like I found the pound I didn't gain last week. Up to 159.5 lbs for total gain of 12.5 at week 17 (3.5 over the max). Not too bad all things considering. I was up another 2 lbs due to some bloat mid-week. Thankfully that went away.

As much as I'd like to reduce the gain, I think the best I can hope for is to stick to that average gain of 1 lbs a week.

I'm terrified of gaining a lot of weight this time!! I had a normal weight gain with my first baby, but with my second I gained about 60lbs.. Most of which never disappeared! Then with my third I only gained about 25lbs but was still significantly overweight, and then a year after he was born I reached the obese category which was the wake-up call I needed.

12 months later I'd lost 75lbs and reached my lowest ever adult weight of 145 (I'm 6ft tall). Unfortunately a few pounds crept back on over the next few months, and my official starting weight before getting pregnant with this one was 157lbs. I don't want to see 200 again EVER, so I'm aiming to only gain around 30lbs if I can. And I'm determined to get my size 8 jeans on again after this baby's born!! :)

Yeah that 200 mark scares me as well and I'm a lot shorter.

But wow you lost 75 lbs in 12 months! That's amazing.

Oy! +2 lbs for me this last week. It seems inconceivable. That's 1000 cals extra a day :wacko: . There's just no way I'm eating that much extra. I'm hoping there's water weight in there.

There are a few sweet snacks that I can cut out or at least exchange for protein/veggie snacks.

Grand total up to 161.5 lbs (+14.5 lbs from initial weight; 4.5 lbs over max recommended). :dohh:

I went up two at my last visit so I am back to logging what I eat this week lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->