Finding a new job and pregnant?

KatienSam

Mummy to Ella & Faith <3
Reaction score
Hi all, just after some advice really. I left my job when i found out i was pregnant because i wanted to rest to ensure baby was ok (my job was very stressful and about to get worse due to half the company being made redundant!)

Now i am past the worst of it i think i want to go back to work (take some pressure off OH paying for everything!)

Does anyone know if i have to tell potential employers that i am pregnant, i am concerned they will not offer me anything because i will only be there for 6 months!! shall i just stick to temporary contracts/short contracts or can i just go for interview not say anything and then if offered the job then tell them so i know my pregnancy is not a factor to not employ me?

hope that makes sense?!

xxx

Hey!

I think you would be best to tell future employers that you are pregnant as I guess is best to be up front about it.

If I was in your situation I personally would temp for the duration of your pregnancy based on you gave up because of stress. The best thing would be to get a 9-5 temp contract without the hassles and stresses of a permanent job.

x

I would say it depends on what sort of job you want to do. You won't be eligible for maternity pay but it doesn't mean you won't be able to find a job that you can return to. You don't have to tell them you are pregnant at the interviews and they are not allowed to not employ you on the basis of your being pregnant. If I were you I would keep quiet until you get a job offer then you can explain then. You will then also be in a good position to say if you would like to return to work after leave.

If you're worried about how you'll manage for the rest of the pregnancy and are not bothered about returning to work for the same people it might be easier to go for short term contracts or join a temp agency. Again, it depends on what sort of work you are interested in.

My concern would be that you will definitely be showing before then end of the probationary period. During that time they can let you go with no real reason. I wouldn't tempt it - be up front. As an employer it is a PIA to go through the hiring process & then to find out you hired someone who will be leaving soon & that they were dishonest about it would leave me pretty angry.

A temp position would be a better bet if you don't think you can be straight about it.

This is what I did..I quit my 40hr a week job when I was 5weeks pregnant. There was thing's going on at work,and getting pregnant just made it worse,I was way too tired to work then. I've been applying for jobs, and mentioning that I'm pregnant. But I haven't been succesful yet,nor have I had any interview's. I'd tell them, because it's for your own safety. And they can't not employ you because you're pregnant. Are you claiming anything at the min? I'm on Jobseekers allowance to keep me going until I find a temp job. I know I won't get one permanant now, so I'm just like people have said, looking for temp positions.

The thing is that is you tell at the application or interview stage they will find any excuse not to employ you even if you are the best person for the job which is why I'd wait for an offer.

what you might be best doin is trying doing some work for a temping agency but that depends on what kinda work u normally do. That way, they aren't as fussy about who they employ and if you're having a period or when you're getting to this later stage of feeling rough you can just tell them that you dn't want the work just at the mo (they tend to phone you on a daily/weekly basis). Also, you'll still be entitled to maternity allowance that way because of the national insurance contributions. Just a thought anyway.

This is what I did..I quit my 40hr a week job when I was 5weeks pregnant. There was thing's going on at work,and getting pregnant just made it worse,I was way too tired to work then. I've been applying for jobs, and mentioning that I'm pregnant. But I haven't been succesful yet,nor have I had any interview's. I'd tell them, because it's for your own safety. And they can't not employ you because you're pregnant. Are you claiming anything at the min? I'm on Jobseekers allowance to keep me going until I find a temp job. I know I won't get one permanant now, so I'm just like people have said, looking for temp positions.

mine was 40 hour a week job and i was also 5 weeks when i quit, they were making half the firm redundant and expected us to take on their workload and my job was stressful enough, and i had a miscarriage last year, so i walked. the baby's well-being is worth more than a job!!

im not claiming anything at the moment my OH is giving me an allowance (feel like a child again!) i will go to job centre if i dont find anything in the next week and get job seekers until i get something.

is there anything temporary where you are?

xx

Id prob say your best bet for the time being is to try and do some temp work. Or you could even do some work from home jobs to keep you going ..

Ive seen so many girls struggling to find permanent jobs when pregnant!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->