finger foods for 5 month olds?

I'm naughty and break all the rules... I gave Isobel rice cake... She sucks it. Also she likes toast!

I give Ruby food to play with, the other day I gave her slices of roasted sweet potato. She only plays with it though, doesn't put it in her mouth yet...

I started offering veggie sticks such as carrot, cucumber etc at 5 1/2 months for Olivia to practice with xx

I know a lot dont like them but I used rusks for a week after his morning porridge (only to introduce finger foods)...i used rusks so that he could get used to getting chunks and stuff in his mouth but they melt down so not as frightening as other stuff to start with.....he loved them LOL. So i'm keeping them for treats now.

I tried toast yesterday for the 1st time....did not like it one bit but i think it had been standing too long so got a bit hard.
Tried agian today and he seemed to enjoy it....until he took a massive chunk and started to gag....not suprising really till he gets used to it...had to fish a chunk from the mouth.... Will keep on going with the toast for a bit and then i think i'll try some steammed veggies like carrots.

xxx

I read somewhere that bread is not a great idea for an early food as it can clump up and stick to the roof of their mouths, making it hard to chew? Especially white bread. I would just stick with fruit and veg for a bit I think. :)

Hannah had rusks at that age but that was about it (and not often just occasionally). Is he sitting up on his own yet? If he's not I'd probably hold off on the finger foods.

Good ones we found to start with were toast fingers, bananas, Cheerios, soft fruits and veggies. I gave Hannah a carrot stick once around 6 months and she didn't do well with it so I held off on those until much later. I have read that bread is supposed to be toasted until a year of age because of the above reasons

I would say banana's are a safe bet. and those little puff cereal things, as they dissolve in the mouth

Ava has - cucumber, rusks, bread with philly, bread with buter, baby crisps (says 7M), and rice cakes (says 7M) but she sucks them, toast

Ava has - cucumber, rusks, bread with philly, bread with buter, baby crisps (says 7M), and rice cakes (says 7M) but she sucks them, toast

How old is Ava then?
I was looking at the finger food pack is in tesco and they all say from 7 months....i suppose cos thats the recommended time for finger foods.....
are they ok from 6 months then?

xx

ava is 5 months and a half monthish (born 22nd of april) shes fine with all of these never even gags which im surpised on, - if you do try them on your LO, watch them a liitle more carfully with toast and bread, ava tries to eat to much at once :rofl:

katie is 6 months and has tried rusk, rice cakes (plain and flavoured) and toast. she has been ok with them all. going to let her play with banana soon. she has also tried apple and pear when connor has decided to share

LO has toast, cucumber sticks with skin on so she can't take chunks off, banana held by me too as she takes too much!, rice cake, 1/2 rusk easier to grip, biscotti(sp? organic biscuit that melts)

she has had me sitting there peeling grapes and letting her lick/suck it whilst i held it before now as she went MAD cos i was eating!

new find are bickie pegs are ace as they cant bite anything off! good practise for getting food to mouth first! (they are a teething tool!)

Aisling has been experimenting with finger foods since just after 5 months old. She has had

toast with fruit spread
rice cakes
bread sticks
banana (she did find it a bit hard to grip as it's slimy!)
apple
panini!
end of a baguette which she chewed while still on the shelf in the bakery :blush:

I've been letting her take as much or as little as she wants. Sometimes she does take way too much and gags and brings it back out again. IMO it's fine to let them take in as much as they want under close supervision so they can learn how much to take. It's very rare that they'll actually choke, they'll just gag to get it back out if necessary and hopefully learn to take less next time :D

im really naught with what i give ava, she had some of my pizza the other day!!

I didnt even know they could have this sorta stuff!

I think you need to be a little careful until 6 months but after that it's pretty free as long as you're careful about salt and sugar etc

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->