Finger foods?

beancounter

Reaction score
can someone tell me when it is ok to let Finn try soft finger foods? I was looking at the organix carrot bikkie sticks things and it said 7 mos. and in the book i got out of the library 9 mos? that seems a bit old to me, I'm sure people have said they started BLW and stuff at 5.5 or 6 mos?

weaning is going really well for us, Finn is above the 9th centile line for the first time since he was born :thumbup: just wanted to know when to move on from mush :D

Umm im not doing BLW but Brooke had those carrot stix and the sweetcorn rings from around 5 - 5 1/2 months and she was fine.

I didnt start offering many finger foods until about 7 months... but at 5-6 months I offered rusks and those kind of melt in your mouth baby snack.

that's what I wanted to offer, the melty type things. I was put off by the 7 months on the packets, but felt it was a bit later than I remembered babies having rusks and such to suck on.... the HV confused me by talking about sandwiches too, i dont think he's big enough for those!! But I have several health visitors that range from give him a sandwich to the whole world will implode if you even give baby rice before 6 mos so I'm never sure. i might try them in a couple of weeks, thanks! I think he'll like that because he already feeds himself with a spoonx

i stick to what it says on the packet:blush: dont want her choking

I think my LO had his first finger foods at 6months...im the same as Danni though...i just follow the age guidelines...xx

Alot of the stuff here says 12 months... no way im waiting that long!

I didnt give much real food for finger food until 7 months though. Some people do BLW, and it works for them which is fine. I dont believe in it though and in Canada finger foods are not recommended until 7-8 months because babies dont develope the fine motor skills to properly learn to eat stuff like that. Some babies are ready earlier, it all depends on your comfort level and your baby.

Emi was getting on so well with weaning that I started with a mixture of BLW and purees. She is now 5 and half months and started finger foods ab out 2 weeks ago- she loves it. For the first week or so it was all just play (messy!) but great fun. Slowly she found her mouth and this week has had bananna, apple, pear, peach, necterine, brocolli, pepper and rice cakes. Some of it goes in and she has started to chew properly, others she just sucks on. She is having great fun.

I am watching her like a hauk though!!

I started finger foods at 7 1/2 months starting with toast. she eats lots of stuff now. I give it to her in big chunks so she can chew off what she wants

i started giving Fred toast and sticks of cheese and veg at around 5 and half months xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->