Finger foods

T

Tilly

Hi all,

Bethanie almost choked a few weeks ago on a Biscotti (biscuit thingy) and then last week she almost choked on a bit of banana. Since then, every time she eats alone and bigger chunks I get really nervous, my heart beats fast and I have to keep running over to her to make sure shes fine. Earlier I gave her a baby rusk whilst I served her lunch and she stopped eating for a minute, looked at me and did a little cough so I ran over, but she was fine..:blush:

Im worried im getting a bit over paranoid, now im scared to give her any finger foods unless my boyfriend is around, this obviously isn't very practical though. At the moment I give her the rusks as they disolve easily, tiny bits of banana that I break off for her.. i've not dared give her biscotti since she was choking on it though.

Can any of you suggest any good finger foods to me? she has no teeth at the minute either and often seems to just want to swallow the food whole anyway.

- Btw I have a baby blender/steamer so I thought of maybe steaming some little bits of veg.. carrot/broccoli etc? but im worried to give her anything hard like toast.

Ty :)

Maddie eats :

Rasins
Banana
Cow n Gate Biscuits (£1 a box and softer than biscotti but the lactose free)
Ham
Mummy's special bread (bake it myelf)
Chicken bits
Cheese puffs
Tomato
Apricots
Pasta
Cocktail sausages

Things you find on a buffet she has for lunch and then a warm meal in the evenings, but on cold days she also has homemade soup for lunch.

Things like them choking are going to happen, thats how they learn to chew!

Hope this helps hunni

xxx

Maddie eats :

Rasins
Banana
Cow n Gate Biscuits (£1 a box and softer than biscotti but the lactose free)
Ham
Mummy's special bread (bake it myelf)
Chicken bits
Cheese puffs
Tomato
Apricots
Pasta
Cocktail sausages

Things you find on a buffet she has for lunch and then a warm meal in the evenings, but on cold days she also has homemade soup for lunch.

Things like them choking are going to happen, thats how they learn to chew!

Hope this helps hunni

xxx
Thanks Imi, I think Bethanie is too young for some of that stuff (raisins, sausage etc might be a little hard to eat without teeth ;) ) but I will try the other foods you mentioned. :) We spend so much money on Hipp organic jars. In an ideal world I would ready prepare and freeze Bethanie some nice meals, but too many people live here so there isn't room at the moment.

In the morning she has weetabix(sometimes with fruit), ready brek, or those baby cereals. For lunch I usually give her a little rusk or some fruit and half a jar of hipp - but id like to give the same sort of foods you do for lunch.. more like a buffet lunch.

How do you stay calm when they're choking, all I can think is she is going to choke and I freeze!! I was thinking of doing baby first aid classes just in case, but I can't seem to calm down! lol

Maddie chokes and sorts herself out!

Rasins are soft so won't be a problem to chew, ham is good so is bread!

Good luck ... oh yoghurt is also good!

xxx

Maddie chokes and sorts herself out!

Rasins are soft so won't be a problem to chew, ham is good so is bread!

Good luck ... oh yoghurt is also good!

xxx
I feel silly asking these questions as I should really know, How big were the bits of bread, ham etc you gave your little one?? as I seem to break everything into tiny pieces which won't encourage her to chew much.

Bethanie loves yoghurt, petit filous especially. I grated some apple in her raspberry one and she loved it.

I over analyse I think! I was just like this with weaning.. now I can't see why I made a fuss!! it must be first time mum crap.:blush:

not a crap mum @ all i was the same but kids have to learn ...

Reasonable size peaces, saliva helps break stuff down to, don't panic hun she will be fine!

xxxx

say put them in small cubes for her so she can still pick them up but they are not to big for her but she has to mush them with her gums.

Kacy was the same chocking all the time on her food when she was your little girls age, but they play on it also if they think they are going to get a reaction, i know its hard but try and stay calm pat her on her back or take the food on the roof of her mouth give her some juice and just give her the food back, its the only way she is going to learn, kacy is 20 months old and stills chocks on food now, mostly getting it stuck to the roof of her mouth, but now she is old enough to let me know where it is stuck.

maybe make some pizza fingers for her, its just the pizza and the cheese on bread and bake it for a couple of minutes and until the bread as gone a browny colour.

Thanks Vicky, I didn't notice you post that before.

She isn't choking so much now which is good, and when she does choke on some of her food for example.. she does a little cough and manages to sort herself out. I've also made sure that I sit there calmly and don't give her a reaction, which also seems to be helping.

Thanks for the help girls :)

this was one thing I was petrified of at first! But she was fine yeh she has choked a little the odd time, but you will be surprised what they can eat with no teeth, Ella got her first tooth at 11 months and by that age she was eating everything, meat raisins allsorts. She should be fine with toast too, it goes really soggy, Ella was eating this herself at 5 months old.

I think its a case of having the confidence to do it, but she will be fine just experiment with dofferent foods

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->