Fired my OB today...

Insomniash

Reaction score
I apologize about the length of this post in advance, but I have to vent (if you make it through thanks in advance lol).

Because the OB I have been seeing does not have hospital rights at the hospital I will be giving birth at I had to be referred to another OB in that area.

I have waited for two months for this appointment, and I must say I was incredibly disappointed. It seemed like it was going okay at first because her goals for delivery were right on point with my desires, but as the appointment progressed things went down hill. I found out that she actually didn't have any of my current paperwork so she had no idea how my pregnancy was/is progressing. I didn't blame her for that, because I figured it was the failure of my other OB office (more on this later).

I have already had extra ultrasounds, because I have had some awful/lazy technicians, combined with the fact that I have a fairly high BMI and my son is particularly uncooperative. However, I finally went to a facility with better technicians that were able to get all the information that was necessary. My son is not measuring ahead in fact he is on the 44th percentile. I informed her of the details that I recalled, and said he wasn't measuring big at all (which was a concern because of my size). I then asked her if we would be able to tell by this point if he was going to be an overly large baby, and she said yes and that it didn't seem like he would be. I was happy with that for about two seconds until she said "but we are still going to do serial ultrasounds to make sure he isn't getting too big"...she started losing me there. This is despite the fact that the doctor that provided me with my last ultrasound results stated that everything is normal and we can "end this ultrasound madness". I was unsure what she meant by "serial ultrasounds" so I asked for clarification, apparently this would mean three more ultrasounds before I am due to give birth in May.

Despite my size I have been having a very uneventful pregnancy, my blood work has been spot on, I passed my gestational diabetes test, and all other screening came back with even lower risks than expected for my age group. Everything has been going very smoothly. Even my blood pressure has been borderline low/ideal all the way through. Despite this fact she said I should have been on low dose aspirin because of my weight, and that I should start immediately. This was another strike against her in my mind.

I walked out of her office not quite knowing how to feel. She didn't once ask me how I was feeling, if I had any concerns or symptoms I wanted to talk to her about. She didn't seem to care to know, nor did she feel the need to inform me of the results of my routine in office tests. Just handed me a requisition for more blood work for no apparent reason, and more ultrasounds...again...without good enough reason. I stopped at the front desk to schedule appointments, and she asked me "oh did you get a diabetes test?" I said yes and told her the results, and then I said "wow they really didn't send you anything". She then told me it wasn't her fault and she was feeling attacked, which was ridiculous because I never once implicated her. It was at this point that I looked around her office and noticed the stacks upon stacks of unfiled paperwork (red flag).

I waited until I got home and called my original OBs office because I wanted to know why the paperwork hadn't been sent despite me just calling them to confirm they had sent it all. They stated that it was bizarre because they most definitely had, and that she even called them telling them that she would cancel the appointment without up to date paperwork. I am inclined to believe them because my most recent ultrasound report was sent to her by two separate Dr's offices, so it is hard to imagine both offices not doing their job. That is when those stacks of paper, and her defensive behaviour by accusing me of attacking her seemed to add up. Clearly they were behind on paperwork and fumbling through their appointments. Not good enough for me, so I thought about it for a little bit and called my original OB, apologized for the inconvenience, but asked them to pull me from her office and find me someone else. They happily obliged.

So here I am in my third trimester, without an OB or doctor of any kind, and I am starting to think I am just going to roll up to the hospital and go with the one on shift. It is frustrating, but I am coming to terms with it.

Oh gosh I'm so sorry. In my opinion, you would be better without an OB then the one you saw... Yikes. This is two lives here and they didn't seem to care much.

Can you ask your old OB for a different transfer? Or even stick with your old one and give birth at a different hospital?

That's so rough :(

Oh gosh I'm so sorry. In my opinion, you would be better without an OB then the one you saw... Yikes. This is two lives here and they didn't seem to care much.

Can you ask your old OB for a different transfer? Or even stick with your old one and give birth at a different hospital?

That's so rough :(

Thanks, I was incredibly upset at first, but I am calming down now. My old OB is referring me to another one, as switching hospitals is not an option. Hopefully the next one works out, although I have no idea when that appointment will be. A bit of a scary prospect at this point just in case something does come up.

frusterating! Hopefully the new OB office will be better for you.

At my Dr. office the OB that I have been seeing (mostly anyway) may or may not be the OB that will deliver my baby. They rotate the OBs on duty so its just kinda up to chance. I am OK with that though, when I had DS1 it turned out to be a team of OBGYNs and other Dr. s there when he was delivered. With DS2 it was my family Dr. that oversaw my pregnancy. Both were fine... so its all good :)

A short update...I met my new OB today, and I actually like him! I am feeling so relieved and happy now. I will be following through with him. The sort of funny part is that his name is Dr. Poon....I guess he was just born to do this lol.

boy they sure dont make it easy do they.

ive had my share of horrid experiences as well and im sorry ur going through this. in my vacinity there are 3 sister locations. 1 location is where I visit my ob bt it does not have labor and delivery. my ob also works at a second location, but i hate their labor and delivery sction(been there once and it didnt seem up to date/clean/nice etc) ... i go to the third location for my ultrasounds, and I wanted to delivery my baby there because their labor and delivery section is brand new/spacious/etc. Well it turns out that if i wanted to give birth at the third location, i would have to give up my ob and get a new one. So i refused because im sick and tired of dealing with new people who dont know what the heck im going through and have finally found a good doctor who accommodates me and actually acts like she cares. For this reason, I will be giving birth at the second location she works at just for the simple fact that she can be by my side.

I hope u have the option of seeing your old ob again. It might be worth it to stick around with someone who knows what you are going through and u have been happy with. gl to u

**nvm. read ur update. glad u like your new ob :)

boy they sure dont make it easy do they.

ive had my share of horrid experiences as well and im sorry ur going through this. in my vacinity there are 3 sister locations. 1 location is where I visit my ob bt it does not have labor and delivery. my ob also works at a second location, but i hate their labor and delivery sction(been there once and it didnt seem up to date/clean/nice etc) ... i go to the third location for my ultrasounds, and I wanted to delivery my baby there because their labor and delivery section is brand new/spacious/etc. Well it turns out that if i wanted to give birth at the third location, i would have to give up my ob and get a new one. So i refused because im sick and tired of dealing with new people who dont know what the heck im going through and have finally found a good doctor who accommodates me and actually acts like she cares. For this reason, I will be giving birth at the second location she works at just for the simple fact that she can be by my side.

I hope u have the option of seeing your old ob again. It might be worth it to stick around with someone who knows what you are going through and u have been happy with. gl to u

**nvm. read ur update. glad u like your new ob :)

I know what you mean I have truly felt over doctored and under cared for since I had to leave my family doctor. I think you made the right choice sticking with your OB over a facility. The first OB I had I didn't really care for either, but we never really had a reason to get to know each other because the decision for me to go elsewhere was made pretty much right away.

Fortunately the latest OB made me feel a lot better about everything. I was really starting to panic since I have less than 9 weeks to go. Now I am able to relax and just enjoy the remainder of my pregnancy....i hope :haha:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leoniee
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->