Fired my OB

Farmgirlalee

Reaction score
SO and I went to my 12 week appointment 2/1. I had been told they were going to do an ultrasound. They also gave no indication that they won't deliver in my town but make laboring moms drive 30 miles away to give birth in the next town. I live in the middle of no where so other than farms and ranches between towns there is nothing there and very poor cell phone coverage. I can only imagine that we would get half way there and SO would have to stop to catch.

So once we had waited almost an hour to talk to the OB, when she finally appeared and said she was only going to do Doppler for the heartbeat I had enough. I asked her to confirm that they won't deliver in my town so I said thanks but I'll find someone else.

I'm so irritated! With my first I had already had two ultrasounds by now!

Sorry that happened to you.
My OB does an ultrasound at 8 weeks, and Doppler there out. For my 12 week she said she would do the doppler, but switch to an ultrasound if she could not find the HB.
Any other ultrasounds (including my 12 week one) are done by the Maternal Fetal Medicine Unit.
Buti would find a different OB just on not delivering in your town alone.

Frustrating! I'm sorry that happened to you, I hope you find a better OB soon.

I feel your pain about having to drive far to the hospital, I live about 45 miles from the hospital I have to deliver at (I work for that hospital system and though there are several closer hospitals, my insurance will not cover delivery anywhere else). It was a big worry with my first, however I'll be having a planned c section with this one thankfully.

My actual ob only does a sonogram at 8 weeks and then Doppler. I have to go a maternal fetal medicine place for my 12 weeks and then my 20 weeks. I believe I may get another by my ob further down the road I am unsure. I am also going to a hospital about 1 hour from my house to deliver since that is were my doctors are based out of. But I knew that going into this that my doctor wasn't going to be able to deliver me at the hospital closes to me. I'm actually okay with it because the hospital I'll be going to is a better hospital for babies and delivery.

My actual ob only does a sonogram at 8 weeks and then Doppler. I have to go a maternal fetal medicine place for my 12 weeks and then my 20 weeks. I believe I may get another by my ob further down the road I am unsure. I am also going to a hospital about 1 hour from my house to deliver since that is were my doctors are based out of. But I knew that going into this that my doctor wasn't going to be able to deliver me at the hospital closes to me. I'm actually okay with it because the hospital I'll be going to is a better hospital for babies and delivery.

I believe mine is the same... Maternal fetal for 12 and 20 (I am currently waiting on my anatomy scan), and then my doctor does an ultrasound later down the road.

I'm just curious, do Doctors just have ultrasound/sonogram machines in their surgeries in the US? It seems so different to the UK! I'm lucky if my doctor has a set of scales, in fact at my booking appointment my midwife couldn't find any and so she just said to weigh myself when I got home and let her know! Mine don't even do blood tests as the surgery is on the same site as my local hospital, so they just send you over there!

Pregnancy seems very doctor led in the US? Do you guys have midwives so much? Unless you have a problem in pregnancy, all our care is midwife led and there is little choice in who your midwife is. They are attached to your doctors surgery. You only see the doctor if you are poorly while pregnant or there is a complication! Labour too is midwife led, doctors swoop in if there is a medical issue, otherwise you could go your whole pregnancy without seeing a doctor!

I'm just curious, do Doctors just have ultrasound/sonogram machines in their surgeries in the US? It seems so different to the UK! I'm lucky if my doctor has a set of scales, in fact at my booking appointment my midwife couldn't find any and so she just said to weigh myself when I got home and let her know! Mine don't even do blood tests as the surgery is on the same site as my local hospital, so they just send you over there!

Pregnancy seems very doctor led in the US? Do you guys have midwives so much? Unless you have a problem in pregnancy, all our care is midwife led and there is little choice in who your midwife is. They are attached to your doctors surgery. You only see the doctor if you are poorly while pregnant or there is a complication! Labour too is midwife led, doctors swoop in if there is a medical issue, otherwise you could go your whole pregnancy without seeing a doctor!

In the US, it really depends on where you are, but a lot of places give you the option of ob or midwife. This is my 3rd baby and I have had midwives for all 3, but the practice offers both.
Our clinic offers everything a dr office would. Scales, ultrasounds, etc. labs aren't don't ther but they are done right next door.

I think midwives are becoming more popular in the U.S., but I have always gone to a physician. In the U.S. an OB's clinic is usually a standalone, so they have often have everything on hand for the patient. This includes scales, a lab, ultrasound equipment, etc.
My OB has at least two ultrasound rooms.

Yikes! So sorry! I have Kaiser so I get scanned every four weeks since I opted for the CA screening. I'm glad you stood up for yourself and said thanks but no thanks. Hope you find a better fit soon

I'm in the US and My practice has both. Either an OB or a midwife. I actually don't have a preference but I have been seeing midwives. My doctor has everything there but doesn't do blood work there.

I am in the US, it is all doctors here unless you go to a homebirth midwife, who are not medical professionals like they are in the UK. It is a totally different system. I think a few practices have midwives who are nurse midwives (not homebirth) who do prenatal care, but only doctors do deliveries. My doctor has an ultrasound in his office, my last one sent them out to a radiologist, that varies.

It really depends on the size of the practice here in the US. Each doctor is either an independent doctor who set up their own practice, or they are part of a team that does their own thing, or are attached to a clinic/hospital. There are certainly midwives, but that is more of an alternate approach in the us.

If you go to a doctor that is part of a big group or attached to a hospital/clinic then the likelihood of having ultrasound machines on site is higher. With my daughter, my OB had two offices but they were only 8 miles apart (Two towns 8 miles apart). They did the vaginal ultrasound at my local doctor's office as that was a smaller machine- but when they wanted to external ultrasounds, I drove the 8 miles to their other office but it was all within their clinic family. I did go to the hospital for my blood work though.

I'm with Kaiser as well, like Dobby. So I get scanned at almost every appointment (especially in the beginning and end).

You have to feel comfortable with your doctor - I'm glad you switched.

I just called another OB today and have an appointment for Thursday. So much faster and easier. Grr I'm still annoyed with the other one. Took me a whole month to just even want to talk to another OB. Everyone is asking me what I am having and I haven't even had a proper appointment or even a scan. Ugh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->