First Appointment Disappointment

PhotoPassion

Reaction score
I just called all the OB docs around the area and apparently no one does an ultrasound until 20 weeks unless someone is high risk. Is this when they normally give ultrasounds? I'm extremely disappointed that I won't be able to see my baby until then. I'm not even sure I will believe it's there and healthy until I see it and that seems like such a long time!! I also don't really want to tell anyone until I know that it's healthy, but 4 more months is way longer than I wanted to wait!!

Is this the normal time that they give first ultrasounds in the US? What has your experience been and how did you manage the long wait?

With all mine, I got it at about 10 weeks. If you want to see it sooner try to find another doctor. It's this your normal ob/gyn?

When I called after my BFP last week they told me my doctor waits to see me until 8 weeks to even do a blood test to confirm pregnancy, so that way she can go ahead and do an ultrasound right at the 8 week appointment. While I kind of wish I could go in before 8 weeks to confirm the pregnancy with a doctor, I'm glad I can do the ultrasound at 8 weeks. There is NO way I could wait until 20 weeks, so I feel for you!! Agree with the PP, maybe try to find a new doctor unless you really love this one? I would drive myself crazy waiting that long!

I would find someone who does one before then.

In the UK we have one at 12 weeks and 20 weeks.

Or you could pay for a private one earlier? ?

This was standard in my area also - I kept being told that I wouldn't get a scan until 18-20 weeks. I called different doctors until I found one who scheduled an ultrasound at 6 weeks and 5 days after a blood test. I was told it was mainly because insurance doesn't cover ultrasounds without a valid reason; the doctor I called uses them as dating scans early on so that's how he submits them to the insurance company (even though I knew the day I ovulated). My next one will be at 12 weeks for genetic screening, but we had to opt into that (otherwise the next u/s would have been the anatomy scan). Maybe ask the doctor to opt into that if you want an earlier u/s?

Yes, unfortunately that is normal. I didn't get ultrasounds until 20 weeks with my first three because I wasn't high risk. It was so hard to wait. I'd suggest buying a fetal Doppler so you can check baby's heartbeat. That will make it feel real for you. :)

That's really surprising to me that it can vary SO much between doctors!

Are you willing to pay out of pocket? Look for an office with reproductive endocrinologist instead of just OB's as they tend to be more open to early testing/scanning vs a routine obgyn care approach. Also if you google 3d and 4d scan facilities near you they will usually scan you whenever you want as that's an elective procedure you pay for out of pocket usually. If you are near Indianapolis there are a few companies that specialize specifically in ultrasounds and 3d/4d scans you can always go to and pay out of pocket.

Im in the states and my doc does first at 8 weeks then gender scan at 20 weeks but im paying for a private gender scan at 16 weeks place im going is only $100 for scan.

Ive had two already but I'm not that far along to see anything I will have another one in two weeks to confirm my due date

I love my dr. I get one everytime I go in the office. And this has always been covered 100% by my insurance. I am sort of high risk, but not as much now as I was in my first pregnancy. We have so many different doctors and offices here in my area in Missouri, have you called a little further out. A lot of times those dr's will deliver in multiple hospitals, if you have a hospital in mind. Talk to your friends or see if there is a local health forum that tells more about dr's in the area. You may just be overlooking one.

I just came home from my first Dr appt today and I was told the same thing. No ultrasound until 20 weeks ...unless you want to do the test for down syndrome/trisomy18 which consists of blood work and an ultrasound at 12 weeks. I will be doing this test but otherwise would have to wait that long as well.

is there a similar option where you live?

I love my dr. I get one everytime I go in the office. And this has always been covered 100% by my insurance. I am sort of high risk, but not as much now as I was in my first pregnancy. We have so many different doctors and offices here in my area in Missouri, have you called a little further out. A lot of times those dr's will deliver in multiple hospitals, if you have a hospital in mind. Talk to your friends or see if there is a local health forum that tells more about dr's in the area. You may just be overlooking one.

Yes because I was considered high risk I think I had something crazy like 8 scans before my 12 week appt lol? Hey where in Missouri are you at Joeyzgirls?

Most doctors around me don't have scans until the gender scan if you aren't having complications, or unless you aren't sure of your last period then they will scan to see how far along you are. With my first pregnancy we went in to hear the heartbeat at 13+6 and didn't hear it, so I had an ultrasound that confirmed I lost the baby. This time I went somewhere else and explained my experience and they gave me a scan to make sure everything was going ok this time, which it is.

I really do think they should have scans between 6-8 weeks to make sure it is viable/ectopic/blighted ovum.

They did a scan at my first appointment, when I was 6w4d. I think it very much depends on the doctor that you go to; I also fibbed a little about knowing when my last cycle was, just in case they didn't plan to do a dating scan. And I emphasized the fact that I have irregular periods (you know, sometimes 32 days…sometimes 33 :winkwink:)

Anyway, I think the doctor you go to does make a big difference, and I know a lot of other folks have suggested you reach out to another provider. Might be a good idea.

At my dr's office it is standard to do a scan at 7-8 weeks to date/confirm the pregnancy. Then in California every pregnant woman legally has to be offered an NT scan (genetics screening, which can be declined if so desired), then you also get an anatomy scan at 20 weeks, and a quick scan at 36 weeks to make sure baby is head down. If you are high risk then you get even more.

Thanks for all the responses. I did call a few other doctors in the area and they all said the same thing, but hopefully I can find one who will do one earlier!! I also didn't know that you could go to an independent company and get a scan. Has anybody done that? I also might look into getting my own doppler... I didn't even know you could do that... How awesome! Has anyone used their own doppler? Are they easy to use?

It depends on where you go. My previous doctor wouldn't even see me until 16 weeks and I never got offered my ultrasound until 18 weeks. My new doctor does frequent scans...I haven't had any yet though by choice and dunno if I will.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->