First Appointment Tomorrow - Can't Stop Worrying!

heather2629

Reaction score
I know that everyone gets nervous before their first appointment, and everyone posts about it, so this is just one more of those posts. But, I'm so nervous I had to say something! My first appointment is tomorrow morning (8 weeks), and I've been so anxious throughout this whole pregnancy that I can barely think straight about tomorrow. As much as I love this site for putting my fears about various things (spotting, cramping, etc) at ease, I think it's also made me a nervous wreck with the sad endings I've read. Breaks my heart.

Since I don't have anyone to talk to about this (no one knows yet), I'm resorting to the virtual world for good thoughts. I'm just so stinkin' nervous. I haven't slept well, I've been getting an upset stomach due to the anxiety, and my brain is fried from all the worrying. I know stress isn't good for the baby, which only makes me stress more.

I guess I'm just worried because I don't know what all to expect. I have a condition that causes me to faint when I even look at a needle (I know, this will be a long 9 months! :winkwink:) so I've been working myself up about that too.

I'll update after my appointment tomorrow, just thought I'd get it all off my chest.

Hope everyone is doing well!

You sound just like me! My first appt. is on Nov. 19 and I am already scared! I read the sad endings too and it just makes things worse. I've been trying to say positive things to myself in my mind lately whenever I notice bad thoughts coming up, but it isn't easy (I have anxiety issues as it is). The best thing I can do for myself is avoid the sad ending stories on here and think to myself "Today, I am pregnant". Someone on this board (butterflywolf) actually suggested I try that. Just one day at a time. We can't do anything about tomorrow yet because we are still on today. So live today and enjoy pregnancy today. We'll work on it together. :)

Good luck at your appt I do hope it all goes well!

I know that everyone gets nervous before their first appointment, and everyone posts about it, so this is just one more of those posts. But, I'm so nervous I had to say something! My first appointment is tomorrow morning (8 weeks), and I've been so anxious throughout this whole pregnancy that I can barely think straight about tomorrow. As much as I love this site for putting my fears about various things (spotting, cramping, etc) at ease, I think it's also made me a nervous wreck with the sad endings I've read. Breaks my heart.

Since I don't have anyone to talk to about this (no one knows yet), I'm resorting to the virtual world for good thoughts. I'm just so stinkin' nervous. I haven't slept well, I've been getting an upset stomach due to the anxiety, and my brain is fried from all the worrying. I know stress isn't good for the baby, which only makes me stress more.

I guess I'm just worried because I don't know what all to expect. I have a condition that causes me to faint when I even look at a needle (I know, this will be a long 9 months! :winkwink:) so I've been working myself up about that too.

I'll update after my appointment tomorrow, just thought I'd get it all off my chest.

Hope everyone is doing well!

Hi there!

I am new here. This is my first pregnancy, totally unexpected......
No one knows about me either except for my boyfriend and a few people at our workplace (due to schedules, extra work, money etc.)

My first appointment is next Monday Nov. 10th. I am so nervous as well. My mom had so many miscarriages so I am afraid that will happen to me too!

My anxiety is bad just like yours. Thankfully I am ok with needles as long as I don't look at the needle going into my skin :wacko:

I feel so nauseous and sick all the time lately, and I get the stress thing - I don't want to stress my baby out either!

If you want to chat or whatever let me know - I could use a friend. Let me know how your appointment goes if you like :)

Bubbles - I love that. Today I am pregnant! It's gonna be hard to have that mentality, but I can do it. I used to be on anxiety meds, but got off them when we decided to think about having a baby, so this has been a ROUGH time. We can stick together and make it through. I'll be thinking of you on Nov. 19!

Monkeygirl - Congrats on your first. It's my first too, so there's all kinds of new fears and excitement to discover. I'd love a friend, too! It's hard not being able to talk to anyone about it, since no one knows. Feel free to message me any time!

Oh man getting off of meds...I bet you're having a rough time! I'm going to have to discontinue my antidepressants, but I haven't yet (I shouldn't have to until later in the pregnancy). Hoping that gets better for you soon...gosh, I can't imagine how hard that must be for you.

Btw, this is my first too. :)

Oh man getting off of meds...I bet you're having a rough time! I'm going to have to discontinue my antidepressants, but I haven't yet (I shouldn't have to until later in the pregnancy). Hoping that gets better for you soon...gosh, I can't imagine how hard that must be for you.

Btw, this is my first too. :)

Congrats on your first! It's so scary and exciting all at the same time. We first timers have to stick together! Every little thing is something new, so it's nice to have people telling us it's normal and fine.

I think Bubbles said it all for me XD

For most people their apts. go fine. The majority of miscarriages happen before 6 weeks. If you haven't had anything to worry about (besides your own mind like most of us XD) I'm sure everything is fine. And like Bubbles said, "Today you are pregnant" enjoy it.

I deal with anxiety too trust me. And paranoia. I haven't taken any meds since it is usually only when I'm pregnant that I have all these fears. I even have a dirty little secret. The past week I've been using my Doppler to try to find baby's heartbeat X'D It's a bit too early to hear it and I have not freaked out about not hearing it. Though today I might have, but taking it with a grain of salt.

And as long as your blood work is fine, you'll probably have a draw at 8 weeks (I'll have one at 11 weeks to make sure all is fine) another at around 24 weeks when they check for diabetes, and probably one or two more towards the end of your pregnancy. And then you'll be hooked up to an IV when you are in labor.

Sadly for me I (someone who has little veins and hard to get to veins) will be monitored closely the last two months with probably a blood draw every week to every other week. (Doctor wants to make sure I have a well enough stock of blood like I did last time since I was a 'lucky one' and hemorrhaged really bad after giving birth to my daughter). But I don't think you'll have to worry too much with blood work.

Anyway best of luck and like I said before, I'm sure everything will be completely fine. *hugs*

Bubbles - I love that. Today I am pregnant! It's gonna be hard to have that mentality, but I can do it. I used to be on anxiety meds, but got off them when we decided to think about having a baby, so this has been a ROUGH time. We can stick together and make it through. I'll be thinking of you on Nov. 19!

Monkeygirl - Congrats on your first. It's my first too, so there's all kinds of new fears and excitement to discover. I'd love a friend, too! It's hard not being able to talk to anyone about it, since no one knows. Feel free to message me any time!

Thanks :) I will PM you then. I'm in the process of going off an antidepressant/anti anxiety med as well - not fun, but necessary! I am thinking about going to a therapist who can help me through all of this since I am not able to rely on medication anymore.

Oh, ps........I have no clue how to send you or anyone a private message on here. I'm new! Whoops :p

I don't really have much to add that hasn't already been said, but just wanted to tell you that the worrying is TOTALLY normal, so don't beat yourself up about it. That said, at a certain point you have to just accept that whatever is going to happen will happen and you're just along for the ride. I had 2 miscarriages prior to having my daughter, and now I'm pregnant with #2. The second they wheel that ultrasound machine into the room my heart beats out of my chest, but other than that I try to live day to day and realize that there are certain things in life that are out of my control. Hopefully you will feel better once you have your first appt and you see that all is well. Until then :hugs:..... and deep breaths. Everything will be ok in the end. If it's not ok, it's not the end.

Good luck Heather!
I have to wait until November 27...uggg
But like everyone says try to be positive and go one day at a time.
Thats what I am trying to do, I know the unknown is scary and we all need positive reinforcement.
So try not to needlessly stress when there is know reason to :)
We will all look forward to hearing how it goes!!

Thanks, everyone! I love the support this community gives!

Butterflywolf - Thanks for your encouragement! Your warm thoughts almost made me tear up. Blame it on the pregnancy hormones, I guess, but it's just so nice to know that people out there care! I've been toying with the idea of a doppler myself, but I think it'll just add to my worries. Thanks for breaking down what the appointments will be like, too. I was afraid I'd have to have draws every single week or something. Relieved!

NatalieGrace - I'm trying to get into that "I can't control this, I might as well just enjoy it" mindset, but it's difficult. I'm thinking I'll feel much better after the first appointment. I'd say 75% of my nerves will disappear if I hear the heartbeat and everything's good. Until then, I'll try to follow your great advice!

Jenny Bean - Congrats on your first pregnancy! It's so heartwarming to hear people say they are looking forward to knowing how it goes. Of course, I feel the same way about everyone else, it's just so nice to feel a part of something. I'll be thinking of you on Nov. 27 - it'll be Thanksgiving here in America, and I'll say a special thanks for you. :)

^^ You are welcome. If you have any questions let me know. I'll try to answer them. And I suggest not getting a Doppler then. They can be nerve wrecking and do more damage/worry than good. I'm just crazy XD But if you do decide to get one wait until after you are 12 weeks that way pretty much without a doubt you'll hear the heartbeat. With my daughter I ordered mine at 12 weeks and got it at 12 weeks 5 days. Since I didn't know quite where to look for the heartbeat (was looking too high) I finally found heartbeat at 13 weeks. Then from 13-20 weeks I would listen once or twice a week to make sure I could hear her heartbeat. Then when I started to feel kicks I didn't worry as much. Though if there was a quieter day where she wasn't kicking as much I would check with the Doppler. But towards the end I really didn't use it at all.

Just thought I'd update!

Went in and faced all my fears (including blood work!), and the doctor did an ultrasound. She found the heartbeat immediately - we even got to hear it. I didn't cry until I looked over and saw my usually very unemotional husband tearing up.

Obviously, I'm so relieved! But, the doctor did say the baby was measuring 7 weeks instead of 8. I guess that's normal, I'm just wondering if it could be slightly off. I'm 90% sure I know when I ovulated. Maybe they catch up?

I won't be seen again until Dec. 4 (the day before my birthday!) I wanted to tell my family at Thanksgiving. It'd be nice to have one more confirmation scan before then, but we'll see. :)

Thanks for the positive thoughts, everyone. Seeing that little flickering heart was amazing!

First off, glad to hear all went well yay!

Secondly how do you know when you ovulated? Did you use OPK's and temping? What day do you think you ovulated?

For me I'm a great example for this. I ovulate later. This go around on day 22. So right off the bad (opk's and temping) I have to take a week off of my expected due date. So when I found out on Sept 28th if I had gone by my LMP I'd have been 4 weeks and 4 days (or something like that) when I found out. In reality I knew I was only 3 weeks 3 days. I did end up measuring one day ahead at our scan when we went, but I am known to implant very early and have quick growers.

I would not worry about it and just think YAY count down to next apt so you can hear the heartbeat again ^^

Congrats.

Just thought I'd update!

Went in and faced all my fears (including blood work!), and the doctor did an ultrasound. She found the heartbeat immediately - we even got to hear it. I didn't cry until I looked over and saw my usually very unemotional husband tearing up.

Obviously, I'm so relieved! But, the doctor did say the baby was measuring 7 weeks instead of 8. I guess that's normal, I'm just wondering if it could be slightly off. I'm 90% sure I know when I ovulated. Maybe they catch up?

I won't be seen again until Dec. 4 (the day before my birthday!) I wanted to tell my family at Thanksgiving. It'd be nice to have one more confirmation scan before then, but we'll see. :)

Thanks for the positive thoughts, everyone. Seeing that little flickering heart was amazing!

Yayyy, congrats Heather...That is great news.
I don't think being off a week should be a concern, I have read lots of experiences like that!

feels awesome to read that all is perfect!! :)
I have a long way to go......meeting the ob on 11th Nov.........feels like ages away to me!

https://lbdf.lilypie.com/xodSm8.png

First off, glad to hear all went well yay!

Secondly how do you know when you ovulated? Did you use OPK's and temping? What day do you think you ovulated?

For me I'm a great example for this. I ovulate later. This go around on day 22. So right off the bad (opk's and temping) I have to take a week off of my expected due date. So when I found out on Sept 28th if I had gone by my LMP I'd have been 4 weeks and 4 days (or something like that) when I found out. In reality I knew I was only 3 weeks 3 days. I did end up measuring one day ahead at our scan when we went, but I am known to implant very early and have quick growers.

I would not worry about it and just think YAY count down to next apt so you can hear the heartbeat again ^^

Congrats.

Thanks! As far as knowing when I ovulated - I was tracking, charting, the whole thing. But the main reason I know (this is probably TMI) is because I went on a two-week business trip the day I was set to ovulate. So that day was the last time anything happened between DH and I. Haha. I don't know how long the little guys can stick around in your body, but I doubt a week. Regardless, I'm just excited and looking forward to the next scan.

Thanks! As far as knowing when I ovulated - I was tracking, charting, the whole thing. But the main reason I know (this is probably TMI) is because I went on a two-week business trip the day I was set to ovulate. So that day was the last time anything happened between DH and I. Haha. I don't know how long the little guys can stick around in your body, but I doubt a week. Regardless, I'm just excited and looking forward to the next scan.

Sperm can live up to 5 days so it's possible. But X'D And trust me that was not TMI at all. It takes a lot for anything to be TMI for me.
And yes I can't wait for your next scan ^^ I'm on my countdown 2 weeks roughly, until my next apt. If doctor cannot find heartbeat with a Doppler (I'll be 11w 1d) then I'll get a scan. He said if I wanted a scan either way just to call and let him know but I think I'm going to try to just say if he finds heartbeat then I'm happy.

Specially since I'm hoping my SIL will get me a sneak peak in right before x-mas to find out gender XD There's really no need to have another scan prior if all is well. (I do not do the NT scan)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->