First BFP after PCOS work up

MrsD488

Reaction score
Hi Ladies!
I just found out that Im pregnant on friday, much to my surprise. I had been worked up for PCOS in early april after my OB/GYN found polycystic ovaries on ultrasound in the setting of two months of irregular periods. All the lab work was normal, but I was started on metformin 500mg ER daily and within two weeks of starting, I got my :bfp:. Now my doctor wants me to stop the metformin as my insulin levels and hemoglobin a1c were normal, but Im really nervous to go off as Ive read it helps reduce miscarraiges. That said, Ive lost about 10 pounds since starting the metformin, including two pounds since friday despite eating three meals a day plus snacks and dessert. I do have some weight to lose, but I don't know how healthy it is to be losing weight now that Im pregnant. Any advice? Do I stick with the metformin or get off?
Thank you!

Metformin is really only beneficial if you have insulin problems to begin with. So if you have insulin problems while pregnant it can really increase your chance of miscarriage, which is why metformin helps to reduce the risk. However, if you're taking metformin when there is no medical NEED for it, it's unlikely it will do much to decrease your chance of miscarriage because the underlying problem isn't there. Make sense?

As always these are great questions to discuss with the prescribing doctor as people on this board are unlikely to be actual doctors. Just my disclaimer 😁

Congrats on your pregnancy!

I stopped mine while I was pg last time around and it didn't do me any harm, pp described it really well in her post, you're only more likely if you had insulin problems to begin with so I don't think you will be more at risk but speak to your doc xx

You don't need the metformin if your insulin levels are okay, and your doctor has checked your A1C, which takes the last 3 months of blood sugar levels into account. If it's fine, then you've got NO reason to worry. It's gonna be just fine!!! I also have PCOS, and I've never been on metformin, but I am on my fifth pregnancy with four amazing kids. I know it's scary, but just stay off of Google and act as if you'll have a normal pregnancy - because you most likely will. It's gonna be just fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->