First GP appointment today. What to expect?

MrsHTH

Reaction score
Helloooooo,

I have my first docs appointment today at 5 weeks 4 days with my first ever pregnancy. What sort of thing happens at the first appointment? I have no idea what to expect. I hope I come out of there feeling a bit more pregnant as so far all I have had is (admittedly lots and lots) of positive pregnancy tests and a few symptoms. Not to mention a wee bit of extra gut luggage! I want them to go 'yes you are pregnant and here is the plan'.

What are your experiences? Thanks.

Hi MrsHTH,

First off, congratulations!!! I'm lurking around because I hope hope hope to be joining all of you in a couple of weeks, so aplogies for posting when not yet pregnant.

When I was pregnant with my son, the first doctor's appointment seemed incredibly short! I too was hoping it would somehow make everything feel more real, but in my experience, it didn't really. I went in and told the doctor I was pregnant, she congratulated me and asked my LMP. I told her I didn't know as I was on the pill and had used two pill packets back to back. She then used my last period (two months before) and used that as a date. She didn't do any tests... she may have taken my blood pressure, but I can't remember. After that she gave me a few pamphlets about what to eat and what not to eat during pregnancy and then asked which hopsital I considered going to. I see you are in London as well so will probably have a choice of quite a few. I'd look into them before you go. I had no clue and just took the one that did their midwife clinics at my surgery (King's). In retrospect I wish I had looked into it more and gone to Guy's and St Thomas' (that's where I hope to go next!). She told me they would contact me to make appointments and that was it!!

I came out feeling a bit dazed and not much more pregnant than I had going in. I hope you have a good appointment and my advice would be research the hospitals in your area (if you haven't already) in case the doctor asks you which one you would like to go to.

Happy and healthy nine months!!

x

ETA: Regarding symptoms, I didn't actually 'feel' pregnant till I started getting those kicks at around 20 weeks or so (I had an anterior placenta which blocked a lot of movement). I didn't get a bump till about 25 weeks and was completely flat at my 20 weeks scan. Don't let lack of symptoms put you off :) I had none, except perhaps a slight aversion to meat. I didn't feel sick, wasn't exhausted, didn't have painful breasts, wasn't moody or achey, nothing! I carried on as normal for a long long time. No symptoms are sometimes a blessing!

hi there and congrats!
when I first went into a doctors office..
they just asked for my last mentrual period dates..
they checked my blood pressure.. asked a few routine questions..
and then sent me to get my bloods drawn to confirm the pregnancy
and to also check my vitamin levels and to check for rubella
etc and thyroid etc..
they may also want a urine sample..
then they will probably write you a referral for a dating scan which usually is between
6-9 weeks to "date" your pregnancy and see how far along you are..
depends where you are and what procedures they follow..
good luck!!!
and trust me the symptoms will come flowing! give it another week or so!!
I went through major fatigue! so try and sleep when you can..
take naps during the day..
you will bloat for a good week or so too but then it will die down..
fingers crossed morning sickness doesn't grab you by the balls like it did with me!!!
take care and eat well!
xx

Just asked me if I was taking folic acid and congratulated me as we had IVF. Then told me to book in with midwife.

Thanks for replies ladies! I thought those were the sort of things that I could expect! I really wish more would happen cus I don't feel properly pregnant! I looked at maternity clothes in Topshop on Saturday and was surrounded by big bumps. They were looking at me like I was lost! HA! I am so impatient!

Squirrell - I hope you get your bean soon - lots of luck to you and don't be silly apologising for not being pregnant and posting! I lurked around here before pregnant too! Before I even joined up!
I didn't know you got a choice of hospital! I thought you had to go to your nearest one - in my case that would be Whipps Cross but I will take a look into them today - thanks for the advice.

xxxxxxxx

Thanks. I am so impatient and not very good at this TTC thing :) with my son (a happy surprise) it was so much easier.

I think you get a choice of hospitals if you fall into the catchment area of more than one. Where we are in Lambeth there are four hopsitals relatively close together and we fall intot he catchment area of all of them, so you get to choose. I'd do a search on here and also check some other web boards for women's actual experiences. King's were okay before the baby was born, but afterwards I was kept in for five days because my blood pressure was slightly raised and that's when everyone's warnings came true - the postnatal care was terrible. There were some nice midwives, but some absolutely horrible ones who had me weeping the first night because I couldn't get my son to latch and they ignored me and told me to go back to bed when I went begging for help. I shudder at the memories. In my area Guys and St Thomas' has a much better reputation from what I've read and from fellow mums' experiences. Plus there's the added bonus of giving birth opposite parliament :) you get to walk around the garden room when in early labour looking out over the Thames and Big Ben. Not that I'll care much at the time I'm sure, but it still seems cool and better than pacing the stairwells at King's to get labour to speed up.

Good luck with it all.

x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"