First home birth nervous what do i need?

KIDOSMAMA

Reaction score
Hi fellow preggers :) so this is baby number 3 and ive decided to have a home birth. Ive had 2 other children in hospitals and just get so annoyed at drs and nurses.so id just luke any advuce and suggestions on what i should get and stories of your experibnces. Im goinv to be orderinv a birthing kit but i know there hat i need. as to be more than that t

Omg im on my phone lol please bear with the post

I was wondering the same thing when I first decided on a home birth, but my midwives ended up giving me a long list of supplies to get as well as a bag full of supplies from them to keep at home. Perhaps you can ask your midwife if they have a similar checklist?

It was far better than my hospital birth!! But I had 2 midwives + a doula. I found using my own shower to be the best pain relief ever. I loved being in my own home and especially loved spending the 1st night in MY bed, lol!

Are you doing this with a midwife or an unassisted childbirth? I had a list from the midwife but I would think a UC would require a different list (b/c my midwives provide all their medical supplies). For non medical, I didn't even use anything on my list (ie dark towels, food, lamps etc...)

my list included

towels
heat packs
fan
water bottle
pool equipment

old duvet and sheets
waterproof sheet
drynights bed mats

clothing for me and baby post birth
maternity pads

clean sterile sissors and string for cord

snack foods

i had my computer running and spent most of my labour playing online games and listening to my music so didnt need to really prepare that stuff and i left my husband in bed till i really needed his support so he wouldnt get in my way and annoy me

We had:

Old bedsheets (not nasty, but ones I wouldn't mind tossing if they were stained irrevocably)
Waterproof cover for bed (we bought poly from the paint section of the hardware store, much cheaper than anything else we found)
Lots of old towels (midwife's assistant tossed 'em in the dryer when my son crowned so they were warm and ready to put around me and baby right away)
Washcloths (for cool compresses for head)
Big bowl for the placenta

Then we also had some easily digestible food and drink for me and for people who were there... and I can't think of much else we actually used that the midwife didn't bring (chux pads, cord clamp, etc.).

Your midwife should tell you what she likes people to have around, too, so ask her if you're fretting about what you need to have. She should be able to help!

We had a list as long as my arm of stuff but in the end I think I only used a couple of old bedsheets and cheap shower curtain to cover the floor, terry towels to clean up immediate birth goo, and lots of energy drinks. Oh, and a bowl/bucket for throwing up if required!

List of Absolute Essentials:
Pelvis.
Warmth
Privacy

Also useful:
Old sheets, towels, cheap shower curtains to protect your surfaces. Oh and a doula, obviously ;)

Just used a waterproof sheet, old sheet, few towels for me and baby.

The rest they brought :)

Xx

Oh and a torch for stitches

YES! Something like a desk lamp, bright, that doesn't need holding maybe. Hate having the big room light on when I was trying to enjoy skin to skin just so I could get stitched up!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->