First meeting with home birth midwife?

MindUtopia

Reaction score
Hi all,

My husband and I will start TTC in April, and we know that we want to have a home birth with a private (not NHS) midwife. I'm just wondering, when did you first reach out to your midwife and schedule a consultation visit? Is this something that you would normally do in anticipation of becoming pregnant so that you can call them right away to schedule a visit once you get your test? Do you wait and do it in month two once you know you're pregnant? What did your midwife prefer and what seemed to work best for you? And did you go for a check-up with your local GP in the meantime, even if you knew you would go private eventually?

My friend who is a doula said most would be happy to meet with us for our consultation after I knew I was pregnant, but that many would also be happy to meet with us before because it would help them in their planning for the next year. I don't want to be a crazy person and waste anyone's time, but there are only so many private midwives in our area, and I don't want to miss out on booking the right person if we wait either. Any insight would be helpful!

I only got my 'go ahead' for my homebirth today at 36 weeks. They will only consider it if you have an uncomplicated pregnancy.

I assume private is the same. I think you would at least have to have your 20 week anomaly scan to confirm no placenta previa or complications with baby before you could actually start planning for home birth. I'm sure private midwives would meet you earlier than this to discuss though and perhaps 'pencil' you in.

Good luck :flower:

I only got my 'go ahead' for my homebirth today at 36 weeks. They will only consider it if you have an uncomplicated pregnancy.

I assume private is the same. I think you would at least have to have your 20 week anomaly scan to confirm no placenta previa or complications with baby before you could actually start planning for home birth. I'm sure private midwives would meet you earlier than this to discuss though and perhaps 'pencil' you in.

Good luck :flower:

Yes, this is true, but I suppose I mean, when does one first reach out and make contact with a private midwife (but specifically the ones I'm looking at specialize in home birth)? The midwifery services I'm looking at can also attend your birth in a birth centre or hospital, if necessary. But I'm guess I'm wondering when I first start making contact with them. I would like to have all my prenatal care as private (for better continuity of care), but I'm not sure if this means I need to have it all set up before I am pregnant, so that I don't start prenatal care in NHS and then switch to someone different later on. I'm just wondering how that works and if it means I need to be more on top of things in advance of TTC.

I think I would probably get pregnant before contacting midwives private or not as you just never know what can happen, and when TTC the last thing I would want is a midwife booked, like you said "it would help them in their planning for the next year" what if it takes over a year??? just because you have concieved quickly in the past I think the added pressure would be tempting fate so to speak. Good luck TTC tho xoxxoo

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->