First Migraine Ever - Worried About Preeclampsia

MMonroe8

Reaction score
Hi ladies!

Yesterday, I had a headache at work, came home, started seeing 'aura' and then BAM - worst headache of my life hit. My husband gets migraines, so he knew that's what it was immediately. I was in so much pain the whole evening. I woke up in the middle of the night and vomited, and out the other end too, which happens to my hubby when he has a bad migraine. I'm still aching, but it's not as bad as it was earlier.

I have never had migraines before. Is it possible that this wasn't just a migraine but the start of preeclampsia? I will call my doctor later and let her know I had the migraine, but I am definitely worried...

What do you think? Have any of you developed migraines for the first time in pregnancy? It hurt so much, and I'm scared. :cry:

Oh yes! A lot of women develop migraines during pregnancy! The fact that you had an aura first is great btw, I know it's scary but it's GREAT. Because now you have a warning sign that your headache is coming.

Once you start seeing that aura, quickly take two Tylenol (since that's all we can have right now) and it will HELP you tremendously. You will still get the headache but it will be tolerable.

Hope that helps!

My first migraine scared me so bad! I really thought I was going blind!

Oh btw, the worse ones for me are when they happen while I'm sleeping. Because I miss the aura, I don't take anything, and then the pain hits.

Last pregnancy that happened to me and I had the headache for 4 days. That's right 4 days. I was in agony on my sofa, alternating, sleeping, puking and trying to hold down gatoraid. I lost like 8 lbs. LOL

Sorry not scaring you, just showing you how bad it CAN be and everything still be OK. As you can see from my signature, my daughter was born a few months later and is healthy and happy!

Good luck!

Hey chick I am heading over to 2nd Tri this week I have been of work for two days now with a migrane it is bad but will pass. Really Really common in pregnancy!

My son takes ('Niacin' - vitamin B3 in otherwords) for his migraines (he is 19).
He takes them every day as a preventative (18mg) but they also have some effect when taken at the start of a migraine. He too gets the warning auras...he also goes numb down one side and has to go to bed with a killer headache for the rest of the day. (That was until he started taking Niacin.)

Niacin/Vit B 3 - is a vasculator and slightly opens the blood vessels, helping stop a lot of the pain. Apparently the main cause of migraine is due to the constriction of tiny blood vessels.

However as you are pregnant, you must take your doctors advice before taking any new vitamins/meds.

Bams x :hugs:

I had migraines and cluster headaches as a teenager. Last migraine was 4 years ago. Then on 1st Jan, BANG, aura, blind, numbness and PAIN! got up on 2nd and BAM another one. never had 2 together before. it was horrendous. Nurse said hopefully its a one off, but i'm dreading it. Slightest twinge or bright spot in my eye and i'm panicking.
its really not nice at all. i hope you dont get anymore.

Thanks, everyone. I didn't want to take Tylenol because I'm trying not to take anything - but I'm not doing that again if one of these strikes. I've never had them before, so that's my major concern. Hoping it was a one-time thing as I transition from 1st to 2nd trimester!

I used to get crippling migraines every month right before AF showed...it was horrible. Luckily since pregnancy I haven't had a single one. But cold helps...have an ice pack ready in the freezer to put on your head...that and the tylenol should take care of it. No reason to suffer through all that pain, because migraines and the pain associated with them WILL temporarily raise your blood pressure...longer you're in pain, longer your pressure will be up. Good luck! Hopefully it won't happen again!

I think it's common with pregnant women. I'm obviously a bloke but I've had the aura. First time I got it I panicked thinking there was something wrong with my brain!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->