First month charting – No Temp Rise – Confused!

LilyMarie

Reaction score
Hi! I'm new here!

This is the first month that my husband and I have been “officially” TTC. For the past few of months we have been NTNP, but we just started to start TTC in earnest, so this month I decided to start charting to get a more accurate idea of when I ovulate. And now I’m confused and worried!

I went off birth control last year and since then I have always had very consistent cycles – they are usually exactly 28 days long, but I have had cycles as short as 26 days and as long as 30 days. Regardless I have always noticed a few days of EWCM around the middle of my cycle.

Now, my first month charting, everything seems off! I’m on CD20 and my temps have been consistent all month. There’s been no temp spike yet – I’ve been consistently between 97 and 97.4 degrees the whole cycle. I also haven’t noticed any EWCM this month at all! Based on my history, I would think that I would have ovulated by this time, or at least noticed an increase in CM? Does this mean I’m having an anovulatory cycle and not ovulating? Or is the stress/excitement of actually TTC and being hyperaware of symptoms making my cycle all wonky this month? I'm getting obsessive over all this charting and I think that may be stressing me out, but I can't help it. I’m confused, and now that I’m officially TTC, worried!

Has this ever happened to anyone else? Should I be concerned? Part of me wants to stop charting and just relax, but the other part of me wants to know exactly what’s going on with my body.

It could be an anovulatory cycle if your temp hasn't gone up as it's the progesterone released after ovulation that makes it rise, unless your ovulating later then normal, it can get pushed back if your unwell/stressed, just keep taking your temps and see if they change in the next few days, are you using OPK's as well?

Hi there!

I actually had this happen to me the very first month I was ttc as well - personally, I think that the anxiety and excitement did throw off my cycle a little. I did end up ovulating, but it was a solid 5 days later than I had in previous cycles (I started charting 3 months before actually ttc).

Just in case you don't know - The golden rule(s) of temping: 1. Make sure you're taking your temp FIRST thing when you wake up. Do not sit up. Do not go to the bathroom. Do not pass go. Roll over, and take your temperature. 2. Make sure you're temping at the same time every day. 3. Use the same thermometer.

Ok, now that that's out of the way - Unfortunately/fortunately you will ALWAYS see a temp shift if/when you ovulate. No temp shift - no ovulation. As far as I've read/seen, that's one of the 100% truths in this annoying "every body is different" world of ttc. So if your temps are remaining consistent, it sounds like your ovulation is either delayed, or you're having an anovulatory cycle. As far as I can tell, those aren't SUPER common, so I'd bet it just hasn't happened yet. Keep on with the bding until it does.

gl!

I haven't been using OPKs as I thought charting would be a pretty accurate way to be aware of my ovulation to start. If this is an anovulatory cycle, how common is that? Since this is my first month ttc, should I immediately be concerned, or do women often get an anovulatory cycle now and then?

Opks don't always work for me, personally. I always get a positive, however I'll ovulate anywhere from 2 - 6 days after my first positive. So much for that 24-48 hour bit. So they don't really tell me a whole lot.

Charting is definitely the most accurate. However, it only tells you when things HAVE happened, as opposed to when they WILL.

I can't say for sure, but I don't think anovulatory cycles are super common. I've had delayed ovulations at least 3 times in the past year so I feel like that's more common. Hang in there and keep temping. As long as you're following those golden guidelines, you should see a thermal shift soon.

If this is something you're planning to continue with (personally, I'd recommend it) - you should check out fertility friend. You can click on my ovulation chart and it will take you to the site. I've found it helpful and convenient - and it has a mobile app which is nice for portability.

I had anovulatory cycle for no apparent reason one month. Having an annovulatory cycle once or twice a year is actually pretty common and most women don't realise it. So I wouldn't worry just yet. As you already know when you generally ovulate, just count this cycle out and try again next month.

Hi there!

I actually had this happen to me the very first month I was ttc as well - personally, I think that the anxiety and excitement did throw off my cycle a little. I did end up ovulating, but it was a solid 5 days later than I had in previous cycles (I started charting 3 months before actually ttc).

Just in case you don't know - The golden rule(s) of temping: 1. Make sure you're taking your temp FIRST thing when you wake up. Do not sit up. Do not go to the bathroom. Do not pass go. Roll over, and take your temperature. 2. Make sure you're temping at the same time every day. 3. Use the same thermometer.

Ok, now that that's out of the way - Unfortunately/fortunately you will ALWAYS see a temp shift if/when you ovulate. No temp shift - no ovulation. As far as I've read/seen, that's one of the 100% truths in this annoying "every body is different" world of ttc. So if your temps are remaining consistent, it sounds like your ovulation is either delayed, or you're having an anovulatory cycle. As far as I can tell, those aren't SUPER common, so I'd bet it just hasn't happened yet. Keep on with the bding until it does.

gl!

Sorry to jump into this thread with my own question. I've always read exactly what you're saying about temping but am a bit unsure what to do with winter temps. It's pretty cold here now and we've got electric blankets etc. When I wake my first temp is higher than my usual coverline (am waiting to O). If I get up and wait a while and then take it it's below the coverline. Even worse, if I take a second reading immediately after the first reading (I use a digital ear thermometer) it drops by nearly a degree. I've no idea which temp to use - and it encourages me to pick and choose a temp which gives me a definite ov day when actually I may be anovulatory. Any experience with this or advice? Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->