First positive response to reuseables!!

kate.m.

Mummy to Travis
Reaction score
Usually, when i tell people that we're gonna be using reuseables, the response i get is "you wont have the time" "theyre so much more work" or "eew!". But i was out for a family meal, n hubby was jokingly complaining about the amount of nappies we now have, explaining that we're gonna use cloth.

My auntie and uncle (who used reuseables with twins 24 years ago) started offering advice, n said something about soaking routines. I told em that u dont have to soak em any more. I then explained more about modern reuseables.... n they were gobsmacked!! When i told em they come with velcro on.... their mouths were literally gaping with awe! They are totally amazed, and wonder why any1 would bother with disposables when reuseables "sound just as easy"

It was so nice and refreshing to have a positive response to cloth!

I had exactly the same reactions as you, everyone thought I was mad until I explained what modern nappies were like and then they were much more on board!

:happydance:

I don't like bringing up the subject anymore unless someone asks then i'll tell them. Only a few times have i been met with positive responses. The expressions on peoples face when i tell them about my shop though...it's a picture :wacko: :rofl:

I let everyone talk me out of using them, so we did disposables for the first 3 1/2 months. (We just switched to cloth and they are SO easy. People are crazy.) I'm glad someone in your life is being supportive.

I've had a few positive responses (mostly older ladies who used terries), one lady even made me write down some websites to show her pregnant daughter, but mostly people aren't really negative but say how they couldn't do it. I don't like to get preachy though so I just say I don't find it much work and leave it at that! My SIL is always very interested though... one day I'm gonna offer to change her 18 month old and just put him in a cloth nappy to see her face!

That's awesome. I usually get negative or "neutral" responses, lol.

I get slot of curious responses. I love changing him in eye shot of other mums and they're always asking questions.
though i haven't had any particularly negative comments, generally neutral. People still think of pins, soaking and hassle. When i find it little hassle, just remember to wash them and you never run out!! :dohh:

My MIL always had the negative comments but she loves them now and is trying to convince her daughter to change

My MIL always had the negative comments but she loves them now and is trying to convince her daughter to change

my MIL seems to have a mental block regarding my use of reusables. everytime i say i've been to a shop, ie one that might sell disposables - supermarket, boots, etc, she asks if i've been buying nappies ?! although she has actually changed one of her nappies - she came home with an itti on perfectly once, was quite impressed !

That was what mine was like at first, she even had cheek to say if money was an issue she'd buy his disposibles

Usually, when i tell people that we're gonna be using reuseables, the response i get is "you wont have the time" "theyre so much more work" or "eew!". But i was out for a family meal, n hubby was jokingly complaining about the amount of nappies we now have, explaining that we're gonna use cloth.

My auntie and uncle (who used reuseables with twins 24 years ago) started offering advice, n said something about soaking routines. I told em that u dont have to soak em any more. I then explained more about modern reuseables.... n they were gobsmacked!! When i told em they come with velcro on.... their mouths were literally gaping with awe! They are totally amazed, and wonder why any1 would bother with disposables when reuseables "sound just as easy"

It was so nice and refreshing to have a positive response to cloth!

Hi Kate, I love your harlequin! We have 2 danes, didn't get that many comments about the nappies people were too busy asking how i'd cope with the dogs! Now we actually get kudos from a lot of our friends. We were asked to change Helen in the living room last week so one couple could see how it all worked. I feel kind of bad when people say how impressed they are at my dedication, it's really not that hard!!

I love changing him in eye shot of other mums

I love doing that too! Nobody has ever asked me anything yet (except my SIL) but I love watching them watch me out of the corner of their eyes, it's really funny.

I got a negative response from most people at first til I explained it all, then no one thought I would bother because of the whole being only 21 and having 2 kids under 2 business, my age doesn;t mean I cant use a washing machine or cope lol. But now everyone is supportive apart from one person I know who thinks I'm just a crazy earth mummy thing and doesn't understand any of what I do... personally though I think my life is a million times easier and cheaper then if I was using disposables (the cost) bottle feeding etc. Luckily I don't really care what people think, at the end of the day they are my kids and I will do what I see best :)

my sister henny is trying to persuade me to use reusable nappies once my LO is around a few weeks old, and i keep coming up with the excuse that i won't have time etc...... or cause of all the washing i would have to do, but I think im slowly coming around to the idea

When I have brought it up I have had a lot of negative reactions which more often than not become neutral to positive when I give a list of reasons why I plan on using them but I also have had a few positive ones too. My grandmother-in-law who did not realise how modern they have become seemed impressed. My Mum is still not convinced since she used terry towelling with all three of us and seems to think the modern nappies look confusing (I have no idea why, lol) but agrees that they are better than disposables since my 2 older sisters were allergic to the chemicals in them. My farther was quite impressed when I showed him my nappy stash after he said "Your not just going to show me some pins and terry towelling are you?" and I got the tots bots out.

I am surprised at how many people have such strong, negative reactions to re-usable nappies!

Hi Kate, I love your harlequin! We have 2 danes, didn't get that many comments about the nappies people were too busy asking how i'd cope with the dogs! Now we actually get kudos from a lot of our friends. We were asked to change Helen in the living room last week so one couple could see how it all worked. I feel kind of bad when people say how impressed they are at my dedication, it's really not that hard!!

Thanks! She's my baby at the mo! Gotta admit- i am quite intrigued to know how you're getting o with 2 n a baby! I think im gonna b fine with the big dog n a baby (my mum had a dane when i was a babba- she got to be 13 years old!!!) but so many ppl seem really pessimistic about it, i wonder if im kidding myself? I know im gonna have to make some changes, but surely its not the b all n end all that ppl make it out to be?

must be cultural - here in french canada the response is usually positive, in fact many people use them. And yes I think most people come around once they see the things, how easy they are heh

Thanks! She's my baby at the mo! Gotta admit- i am quite intrigued to know how you're getting o with 2 n a baby! I think im gonna b fine with the big dog n a baby (my mum had a dane when i was a babba- she got to be 13 years old!!!) but so many ppl seem really pessimistic about it, i wonder if im kidding myself? I know im gonna have to make some changes, but surely its not the b all n end all that ppl make it out to be?

you will be totally fine. We set very firm boundaries from day one. Dogs not allowed to approach the baby and not allowed into the personal space of whoever is holding her. This was the cesar Milan approach, I was dubious but it has worked really well. Our younger dog Max was always my baby but now he'll come towards me, realise I'm holding Helen and back off without being told. Of course crawling will be a whole new challenge, we have stairgates on every door and we will work it out. I can walk one at a time with the pram and DH walks both with her in the sling. It has made the newborn period a bit harder, finding time to clean up the slobber is a problem still but if you love your dog you will make it work. It's also such a good motivator to get you out of the house in those early days. The worst thing is when I've just got Helen to sleep and one of them shakes their head and the slapping noise of their ears wakes her up!!

when i first told people i was using reusables i was expecting a response like...

'oh how fantastic! Doing your bit for the environment....' yada yada,

i couldnt wait to tell people i was using them, id gush about how gorgeous they were and was really shocked at the amount of negative and also un-interested responses iv had! When i start telling people how they work, their eyes seem to glaze over and they nod politely and go 'yeah thats brilliant'

guess i just thought everybody would love these gorgeous nappies as much as i do!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JTom
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->