First Pregnancy, So Many Questions! Help?!?

AJ615

Reaction score
Hello all!!! My husband and I just got our positive home test a few days ago. Went to set a doctor's appointment only to find they don't want to see me for at least 3 more weeks? I had no clue they waited that long! I feel like I need to reevaluate every aspect of my daily life in fear of doing something wrong. I have some questions I'm hoping you all can help me with!

1. I have had almost completely consistent lower back pain and cramping. I get those when I have my periods, but no bleeding this time. Along with that some major leg pain, almost like growing pains, specifically in my knee, feet and hip areas. Are there any over the counter meds or home remedies that can help? Baths and massaging is only working for a short while.

2. What are some major Do's & Don'ts? The internet is full of so many contradictions I'm not sure what to believe.

3. What foods should I avoid or eat?

4. Not going to tell anyone until we get a rough due date. Family first, then maybe friends and such after the first trimester. Since this is our first child, I really want to just scream it from the rooftops! How do you deal/distract yourself until that first appointment?

Thanks for all your help/ advice! You are all fantastic!:happydance:

Congrats on your pregnancy! That is totally normal for the dr to wait to see you unless you are high risk. Avoid lunch meat and soft cheeses and caffeine. Only eat fish once a week. Honestly just be calm and go with the flow and try not to worry about anything. Enjoy your pregnancy.

First, congrats!

Yeah, normally the first appointment isn't scheduled until about 8 weeks or so. The only time anyone usually goes in early is if there are any current or past issues.

For medications, the only thing I can think of that is safe is tylenol. I would call your doctors office and see if they can give you a list of safe medications to get you through until you appointment (I didn't get my list until my first appt). I think first trimester is usually the pickiest as far as meds go. As for baths, just make sure they're not too hot (ike hot tub hot/your skin turns red hot), otherwise you may have to stick with some baths to help if you can't get a list of safe meds. But the cramping and growing pains are normal!

I can't think of any major do's or don'ts - other than maybe start a prenatal or folic acid if you haven't already. You may get a prescription at your appt or the may just allow you to continue OTC (mine didn't care either way). Keep hydrated.

For foods, pretty much just avoid raw eggs/fish, under cooked meats, high mercury fish (some fish have moderate amounts of mercury and should eat eaten only a a coupe times a month, some are safer in certain amounts each week, etc). Deli meats are usually a no no due to risk of listeria.

I will say though that for food, talk to your doctor. Some doctors will say it's okay to have one thing, another doctor will say absolutely not. This even varies by culture. So don't completely count something out, but talk to you doctor. And even when it comes down to your doctor, I still say use your own judgement. Your doctor will give you the advice they think is best, but you still have to use your own judgement. I've been told one thing, someone else is told another. There's not always a set in stone answer.

As far as distractions, anything you possibly can :laugh2: It'll probably drag as it seems to for most! Some suggestions are BnB, work, movies, looking at baby stuff, planning, etc. It'l seem like it's going slow, but it wil be here before you know it :)

Hi! I just got my first BFP as well! I already had a dr appointment scheduled to recieve test results for Wednesday... Now I'm super excited for my appointment.. But what is driving me crazy is 1 had no symptoms beside af like cramps... I didn't even think I was pregnant but today my period is a week late and I decided to test

You can take tylonel for the pain. Avoid caffeine, including some tea, I've read green tea is especially bad but some on here have said differently... I think most key things were mentioned, like starting prenatal vitamin or for sure folic acid if you weren't already taking that when ttc.

We told our parents and very best friends right away, but my dr saw me the next day after pos hpt just to confirm the pregnancy, and then I won't be seeing my actual mat dr for a few weeks. So after that dr apt I couldn't hold it in, needed a few people to talk to! I'm having trouble not telling everyone though!

So exciting, congrats!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->