First Prenatal Exam

hellojello25

Reaction score
Hi ladies!!

So this is my first pregnancy and I am currently at 8 weeks 4 days. I went in for a dating scan early because I wasn't keeping track of my period before (my boyfriend and I were not trying to get pregnant, but we are both very excited now) and saw the heartbeat and the yolk sac and everything. That was about two weeks ago and my first prenatal appointment isn't until the 21st, at which point I'll be 10 weeks 2 days. I'm just wondering what to expect at it. I've already got a huge list of questions to ask, but if you have any suggestions about questions I should be asking, let me know!

At my first appt my dr checked weight, bp, babys hb with doppler, she did an internal exam and took a urine sample I think to check for proteins (relevant to preeclampsia I think) and for signs of uti. It's pretty much the same at each prenatal appt. they will go over a lot with you so I bet some of your questions will be answered by them. Good luck!

Depends where you are as I've never had doppler or internal especially at this stage as the first appt with midwife is generally around 10 weeks and just goes through full medical history, takes bloods and answers questions really. Heartbeat was checked at 16 week appt and only internals have been sweeps when babies went overdue x

I had my first appointment with my doctor at 10 weeks as well. She sent me for a whole bunch of blood tests, went through my DH's medical history (I stay with my family doctor until 24 weeks and only then switch to an OB, so she already knew my medical history), checked my weight and blood pressure. She also did a urine test to check for proteins. Finally she did an internal exam and also tried to find a heartbeat with a doppler, but reassured me that at 10 weeks it's not uncommon to be unable to find it.

Good luck with your first appointment!

Had my first appointment at 9 weeks. Checked weight, medical history, and answered questions. I had a pap test as well as it had been a while. I had bad cramping and spotting a few hours later, so you might want to ask if that is necessary. Got all requisitions for blood work (prego basic, sipps 1 & sipps 2) and ultrasound requisitions. I'm in Canada.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->