First step on road - toddler autism <update page 4>

Autism isn't the end of the world :)

My boyfriend was diagnosed very young, and his mum decided she'd let him learn and deal with this on his own. He's now 17 and is fine, has a good job as a mechanic, and, apart from being slightly annoying and acting very childish sometimes, he's fine :)

xx

Autism isn't the end of the world :)

My boyfriend was diagnosed very young, and his mum decided she'd let him learn and deal with this on his own. He's now 17 and is fine, has a good job as a mechanic, and, apart from being slightly annoying and acting very childish sometimes, he's fine :)

xx

You're absolutely right, it's not :thumbup: But like any cover-all, 'umbrella' name for a condition, there are so many different levels, severities, and behaviours that manifest themselves because of the condition...
and it's more the thought of her current behaviours/fixations taking a long time to grow out of that worries me, as they are getting more and more dangerous (as well as socially inappropriate) the bigger, stronger and older she gets.

Her journey to social competence may be rocky, it may be smoother than we expect, God willing, but it's a journey I wish she didn't have to make - I've got to pack the bags for any eventuality, and it doesn't make the setting off any less daunting.

It's true that it isnt the end of the world, but it is still upsetting and worrying at times. TBH i think your 'friend' is shallow and insensitive and not a very good friend. A good friend would just shut up and listen, allowing you to vent and should expect the same in return. and although there are always people that are worse off you can help feeling what effects you right now. The key is to put the future out of your mind and enjoy your LO for who she is now. Oscar has his faults and i worry for him, but he is the most loving, funny, querky, sweet little boy and I love every minute with him. :cloud9:

Thanks. I was only saying to someone today about perspective, like one person may think e.g. going from super-rich to bankrupt is the end of the world, but then their neighbour with terminal cancer would give anything for that to be their only concern. But they're two separate issues, suffered by two separate people, so they're both within their rights to be miserable about their lot xx

I don't think she was comparing her situation to yours. I think the point she was making is that bad things happen to all of us and we just have to deal with them the best we can.

Thanks Ratty, I'd figured that. Hence why I agreed with her that it's not the end of the world. And just as soon as the shock of that, my DH's recent hospitalisation for high BP which three different meds have failed to touch, imminent new baby, and money/space/practicality issues all settle down, I will indeed deal with it all the best I can. She and her siblings will want for nothing emotionally, I will make damn sure of that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->