First time birth, freebirthing?

BigLegEmma

Reaction score
Has anyone done this? I would prefer to have a midwife attending me at home, but it's looking increasingly like it might be impossible for me to have one due to restrictions in this country. Here on this island, it's get induced if you go overdue, lay back, legs in stirrups, epidural, we don't do gas and air, and if you take too long we'll give you an EMCS.

I can find an independent midwife qualified in UK but not here who can be with me during labour but is not covered to see it through to the end, so I'm looking at hiring her to be present, but I don't want to go to hospital unless it is essential for my baby to be delivered safely.

I'm a firm believer in the impact of birth trauma in children's emotional and spiritual growth and want my LO to have a peaceful entry into this dimension. Any and all advice is greatly appreciated and I have some time to prepare. :)

I think if you are going to attempt it during a first birth you need to get yourself read up a lot on birth and the potential issues and keep an open mind regarding transferring in. Also learning the skills to try and establish if you and baby are safe.

I thing learning how to self examine your cervix would be useful as a first time mum. No matter how many times people tell you its gonna be unbelievably painful you don't know what that experience is like until you get there and knowing what your own cervix is doing can help you gage how far along you are...but more importantly if things are progressing. I self examined at the beginning to my second labour and feeling inside your own vagina is nothing like the invasive exams done by midwives and doctors.

I think if it was me I'd also want to listen in with a doppler. Maybe not as much as the midwives would, but to make sure baby was ok, and listening in during a contraction to make sure there are no decels.

As labour cracks on its pretty hard to make decisions as your mind is in a different place. So it would probably be a good idea to have your wishes written down, including what circumstances you would want to transfer in under.

All medical intervention is only allowed with your consent or from your next of kin if you're not able to. Could you not refuse the induction but ask the midwife to stay?

Thank you for the info, Celesse, it's giving me lots to think about :)

Lovecakes - I'm just educating myself for every eventuality, but I'm fairly certain she will, as long as it's off the record, so to speak. :)

It's shocking to me that a century of modern medicine has made it nearly impossible for women in this country to birth as they have since time began.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->