First time breast feeder! Need advice about pumps

October2013

Mommy to a baby girl
Reaction score
Hello girls! I am exclusively breast feeding my daughter who is now 2 weeks old. I am considering getting a pump so my OH can feed her on some nights, & that way mommy can maybe get more than 3 hours of sleep at a time!

I'm wondering what brand of pump I should get, and if it needs to be the electric kind or should I get a hand pump? Here's my situation: I am a SAHM with no plans of returning to work anytime soon. Pretty much the only reason I want a pump is so my OH can feed the baby on his nights off, or if we are going somewhere where I don't want to feed in public (like getting groceries at Wal-Mart), otherwise I am exclusively feeding from my breast to baby's mouth and wouldn't use the pump all that often.

So is it necessary to get one of the expensive electric pumps or would I be ok just going with a manual hand pump? Also, what kind of accessories do I need? Bottles, nipples, bags?

Thanks for you help!

It does seem that pumps vary from person to person. I have tried an electric pump and didn't get on at all with it. I have an Advent manual pump which suits me fine. Takes me about 15 mins to pump between 2/4 oz of milk. I have the pump, bottles and some bags for freezing milk. I would probably suggest trying a manual first, mainly because they are a lot cheaper than the electric ones! If your LO takes a bottle, I would also strongly recommend getting your OH to feed at least once a day. With Ellie, she took a few bottles to begin with, we though she was fine with them, got a bit lazy and now find she wont take a bottle at all.

Something like this would be good for you: https://www.toysrus.com/product/ind...88.12837458.2256172.3242187&parentPage=family

I have the medela tote (double electric) and its great, but I pump about half the time and will be working sometime in the near future.

If you have health insurance, check into what they offer, they often cover the cost or part of the cost if a breast pump or pump rental. Mine covered in full the Medela Advanced pump in style double electric breast pump. I love it but I also use the Medela Harmony manual breast pump. I love both but honestly sometimes get more out of the manual pump.

Thank you girls. Unfortunately I don't have health insurance but I'm convinced the Medela brand is the one I want to check out. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->