First time moms. Normal to be this scared?

jozylynn896

Reaction score
So now I'm 38 weeks.
In so excited to pop him out already! I'm nervous about labor but not nearly as nervous to meet him.
I'm just so scared i won't know what to do. What if he won't stop crying and i dont know how to fix it? What if he falls? What if he doesn't sleep? What if he gets sick?! What if he scrapes a knee?? What if he has a temperature.
I know these questions sound dumb, and its not that i wouldn't technically know what to do, but i just feel so scared.
Maybe its because I'm only 16.
I've read up on a bunch of parenting sites, stories and books.
But its just so scary.
Like to think that I'm responsible for another human being.
Its not just cook when I'm hungry any more, or clean my room when i feel like it. Its get up and cook when he's hungry and keep a clean home for him. Whether i like it or not.
I dont regret getting pregnant at all, its just I'm nervous and scared.
Like just a couple of months ago, i looked to my mom for everything! Food, money, a home, if i got sick well who did i cry to to fix it? My mom! If i was hungry qho was naturally expected to feed me? My mom!
Its a lot of pressure i guess to know that a person is going to need me like that.. Just scary :(

Awwww I was exactly the same when pregnant with my girl. It's amazing though how your instincts are there.
They said to me: the moment a baby is born, a mother is born. And it's so true! You'll be amazed with how you'll know what to do.
X

Thank you :)
I tell my mom "Mom what if i don't know what to do!" And she just laughs and says it alljust cones to you.
That as soon as he's born I'll be able to tell a hungry cry, from a pain cry, from a sleepy cry!
I just don't feel like that will happen. :( i dont know

Necessity is the mother of invention.

You've heard that before, right? When you need to, you'll rise to the occasion. Frankly, your fear and nervousness are excellent signs you'll be a great mother. A crummy mother would not be concerned about having a baby at 16. You're mentally preparing yourself.

Our modern world is not as favourable to younger mothers, but that doesn't mean your body and brain aren't up for the challenge. They are. You are. And you can still rely on your mom, for help, for advice, for a hug, and you'll need help. This is not something we're meant to do allllll alone. Human beings are social creatures. We need each other. We're not islands.

Your baby will cry. And that's okay. Your baby will get hurt from time to time, which is also fine. It happens to everyone. And you'll make mistakes, just like every woman alive has ever done with every one of her children. And your child will still be alright.

Like my aunt says, our kids grow up despite us. As powerful as you are being the mother, you're ultimately the guardian. There will be other family, friends, coaches, teachers... Your baby will grow into the man who he is meant to be and with love and guidance you'll be a part of that process, not the sole contributor. You still have a big responsibility, but you can do it. Just remember you're not alone.

if you are unsure then you would probably benefit from parenting classes, ive had the fortune to be able to look after friends and relatives children so even though im a first time mum its not all new to me. so parenting classes will only give you more knowledge and more confidence. perhaps watch a few videos on youtube, they have helped me alot tbh.

I was feeling quite scared, as was my partner. I think fear is normal, after all, having a baby is a HUGE thing to do - it's totally life changing.

We went on both NHS classes and crucially, NCT ones which were a massive help - it's totally new to both of us, and the classes were so helpful, we are feeling so much better about it since then :)

With what you said about not knowing what to do, my mum actually really helped. She reminded me of when I was 12 years old and caring for a tiny kitten. Instinctively I knew what to do, I became tuned into her different miaows, I knew when she wanted food, and how that was different from wanting attention or anything else, and I believe it's the same with babies........ instinct kicks in and somehow we just "know" what to do - we become attuned to our baby's different cries and know how to respond :)

I have the same feelings, but as people say, I think your instincts will take over and you;'' be fine :) xx

Awww hun the fact that you feeling like that and feeling all these emotions of being scared if you'll be able to protect your baby and know what to do it's a good sign, especially considering you are only 16 and so young. It's a good thing to be scared because it just means you'll be extra careful with everything to make sure your baby is safe. As long as you try your best & ask for advise and help when you need it, than you should be good.

I've watched a lot of YouTube videos, read tons of forum threads and have joined free mommy groups in my area. I recommend doing those things to help you feel more confident. As for understanding newborn language and what one sound means over the other, I recommend watching this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgkZf6jVdVg

I'm twice your age and have all the same fears! :flower:

It really just comes naturally, one day you are a single care free lady and the next you are a mummy and its a big shock but you take to it and its a fabulous feeling! I didnt realise that I was meant to start feeding straight away and my midwife asked me when she last fed and I remember saying ''ahh am I meant to be feeding her already!!'' :haha: I blame it on the epidural still in my system lol!! You will be fine, you will do a great job of being mummy...and you will always go to your mummy when you are sick etc...I still do!! I am constantly asking my mum advice on being a mummy :hugs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nirmala kann
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->