First-time mummy questions!

C

cherryglitter

Im a first-time mummy and im just curious! I love the idea of breastfeeding, but I want some HONEST opinions on it.

A lot of my friends found it difficult due to just being so tired etc [that sounds awful..] so a lot of their babies have been bottle fed.

Im very shy and I don't like the idea of breastfeeding in public, but can this be overcome with me just expressing milk? Is this suitable? I would breastfeed in my own home, but would bottle feed with expressed milk in public.

Any knowledge would be great!! xxxx

Hiya,
Yes it IS knackering - but so is formula feeding. Simply having a new babs is gonna wear you out :flower:

I had real trouble at first, my LO couldn't latch on and I was feeding with syringes.

I'm like you and didn't like the idea of public feeding so I expressed a lot ( get yourself a good electric pump too) and I bottle feed him in public.

This is a lot more work and you have the worst of both worlds - you're up feeding in the night but you're still sterilising bottles etc :wacko: you are tied to the couch either feeding or pumping at first :dohh:

I've just bought a fleece sling for him and I may consider public feeding in it as you can't even tell there is a baby in there :happydance: let alone a boob.

I have loved feeding him and if its what you want to do then go for it - but never let anyone make you feel crap for formula feeding if that turns out to be the best for you.

:hugs::kiss:

I'll be honest - feck me, it was hard at first! The first few days I had had little sleep for about 72 hours due to labour and then not being able to sleep after she was born (she was sleepy but I didn't dare in case she stopped breathing!) and this little baby wanted me all the time, wanted to be fed so often. The first day or so she slept a lot too, but on day 2 or 3 I fed her on and off from 5pm-2/3am. She'd fall asleep at the boob but cry when I put her down and I was so scared I'd fall asleep on her and smother her. I knew she was sucking so much to get my supply up but knowing that didn't help me to get any sleep!

I got through that with help from the midwives (called them at 3am) by giving her a bottle of EBM late at night to help her sleep for a longer period and the next day I felt so much better... If I'd known how to safely lay down to feed so I could doze it would have made a huge difference, too.

It has been tough at times since then but much easier than I'd thought and I never regretted bfing, not once. I truly don't see formula as the easy option - when she wants to be fed in the night I pick her up, lay her next to me and doze while she feeds. I don't have to mix up formula, mess about with the kettle, sterilise anything, warm anything... I don't have to faff about in public either, I just feed her. I'm hardly an exhibitionist but I've fed her in cafes, on buses, in shops, the library, on the side of the pool in my cossie - loads of places! You can express for public feeds or you can use a shawl or bfing cover, or just do it discreetly with clever clothing and positioning. You'd be surprised how soon you stop caring even if anyone did see anything!

it is tiring at first, but you do get used to it, I promise & usually as your LO gets older, they tend to space their feeds out a little bit more...

I hate feeding in public, and my LO starts squirming if i try to cover him up or anything, so I often go to the car to feed my LO, or take some frozen EBM & an ice pack out with me if I know we're gonna be out for a while. At home, I dont care who sees- you're in my house & if you dont like it, leave, LOL!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->