First-timer needs some support :(

EmmaRea

Wifey/Mom Extraordinaire
Reaction score
After planning and consideration on the part of my hubby and myself, we found out I am pregnant 13 days ago. Now, he and I are not well-off enough to afford health care through our employer (we work together), and we make too much to apply for the state-organized policy, but its free and guarranteed for pregnant women, so I set up an appointment today to enroll myself on the Oregon Health Plan (OHP, as its called locally). At first, I was shoved into a crowded room and made to wait for one hour while I watched woman after woman come through and be treated extremely disrespectfully by the office staff at the OHP office. I became one of those women who were treated as lowly because I can't afford health care of my own. It made me extremely upset to feel like a cow in a herd, and that's not just hormones talking.
I had been considering (read: hoping for) a home birth. This is my first child, I am fairly young, and feel confident that I can achieve a successful home birth. After my experience today, and being told that I would have a LOT of hoops to jump through to get OHP to cover a home birth for me, I returned home and began speaking with my loving older sister. I told her about how I had learned that, in order to get OHP to cover a HB for me, I would have to 'move' to a different county and not apply for coverage until the 3rd (!!!!) trimester, and yet, I still managed to find a midwife who would assist me. She immediately began telling me that I would have no choice but to accept a hospital birth because 1) I do not make enough money to get any other health insurance, and 2) this is my first child, and "my body doesn't know what its doing, so why would I risk complications in a HB?"
My BIL is a paramedic here, and we are an hour away by ambulance from any medical intervention that could save the life of my baby or myself should something go wrong. He was telling me horror stories about what he has seen go wrong with some home deliveries. He saw a baby die just this Sunday because a midwife did not have the proper medical intervention when the baby was having respiratory distress.
I don't believe this would happen to me. But I am at a lose to explain how I feel about it. I still want a HB, but when I try to tell my family why, my arguments are weak and futile. I do not appreciate the idea of being "guilt-tripped" into unnecessary medical procedures by doctors in a hospital who have important boating trips in Mexico to go on, who don't know me from Adam, and see me as a single red number, because I cannot afford health insurance of my own, and they won't be making any money off my delivery anyway, so why go out of their way to accomodate me?, just like those ladies being treated poorly by office staff today. I want to give birth in a joyful setting, drug-and-unnecessary-intervention-free. I want to feel like I gave birth, not somebody pulling my baby from inside me.
What am I to do?
Sorry for the length, but like I said, its my first time, and I am lost.

Oh hun it is tough when everything seems against you but you know what you want so you need to work to get it!

If people start telling you horror stories tell them to shut it! Everyone remembers the horror stories and passes them on but never the majority of wonderful easy positive labour/birth stories..weird eh?

Tell your sister thanks for her opinion but you are going to research things carefully and make a decision based on what is best for YOU and YOUR BABY not her fears. I dont know what the stats are in the states but here in the UK a Homebirth is just as safe as a hospital birth, and you are less likely to need interventions as you labour better.

Your body does know what to do, it is after all what it is designed to do!

Finding a supportive midwife and a way of affording it can't be easy but if you know what you want I'm sure you can achieve it.

Try watching the 'business of being born' and then explaining to your family (get them to watch it) why you want a natural NORMAL birth (which you can still achieve in a hospital if you have to but it may be more of a fight then getting your homebirth LOL!)

Hang in there, you have plenty of time to plan and get the birth you want hun.

Ask your BIL how many uncomplicated HBs he has attended? NONE, because he only sees the few that complications arise, just like he doesn't see all that goes wrong or right in a hospital.

I agree with Chuck, when people start with the horror stories, just politely asks them to stop. Or tune them out and nod and smile while singing your favorite song in your head. That's what I do with unwanted parenting advice. :)

Do your research, educate yourself and your husband and make the choice that suits you best.

There are very few Americans who can afford healthcare on their own. Our whole system is a huge expensive mess, and it is not getting any better.

You can also watch: Pregnant in America and Orgasmic Birth. Both are good documentaries on Hb/natural childbirth.

I really liked reading : Ina May's Guide to Childbirth.

Good luck.

I'm really sorry you were treated so badly by the state because of your insurance status--that sums up everything that is wrong with our current healthcare system--also of course that the state insurance would pay for the much more expensive hospital birth with all the interventions and not the much cheaper home birth. Like others have suggested, I would keep researching your options; don't just immediately accept the negative answers. You have time to find a way if one exists. Also, you might try looking for a free-standing birthing center as another alternative to the hospital or home birth. You might be more likely to get the insurance to cover it, and you'd still get the natural birth you want. Good luck!

Thank you, ladies, for your words of support. I contacted a midwife at a free-standing birthing center that was willing to work with me to pay out of pocket for the birth I wanted.

Unfortunately, I had to use the state health insurance plan yesterday. :nope: I went to the hospital's urgent care center and waited nearly 45 minutes in horrible pain. I miscarried my baby right as they put me in a room, where I waited another 45 minutes with blood gushing from me. The doctor walked in, told me I was experiencing a miscarriage, asked me if I wanted a narcotic painkiller, and when I refused and just asked to use the restroom to clean myself up (where I passed the remains of my baby), he walked out. That was it. :cry:

This pregnancy didn't survive, and I am devastated, but I know that next time, I WILL NOT GIVE BIRTH IN A HOSPITAL!! :growlmad:

Emma.. Massive hugs.. I am so sorry that you have been treated like that. It really isn't right.

:hugs: :hugs:

good news is this: https://women.webmd.com/news/20110801/no-more-copay-for-womens-wellness-birth-control

I was just like you perfect pregnancy so I wanted the peace and serenity that a home birth provides no drugs I wanted dh to catch the baby I wanted everything to be perfect, it turned out to be far from that. I went into labor at 4 am everything was fine progressing nicely about 10 hours in something didn't feel right so I decided to head for the hospital I got there and they checked me in. an hour later my water broke and there was mechonium in the water (would of probably been ok in a home birth as long as we sucked his nose and mouth) so they decided to call the peds. it came time to push and I got that same feeling of something not being right then the monitors started beeping ds was in destress his heart rate was dropping and fast it came back up after about 5 min so the docs let me resume pushing 2 hours later he was out I thought that was the end of the problems so I relaxed releaved the docs then told me there was a problem he had bradycardia and they had to put a breathing tube in because when the heart doesn't beat properly you can't breath right either they had to take him to the nicu. in the end everything ended up being ok but if we stayed at home he would have passed before we could have gotten help and we only lived 10 minuts from the hospital

I'm so sorry about the loss of your baby. Its devastating, I know. Try to take care of yourself and let yourself grieve. I hope you'll find the support you need in your family and friends.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->