First Ultrasound at 8 weeks, measured 5 weeks

Aussie87

Reaction score
Hi ladies

I'm currently pregnant, and because my cycles are long, I use OPK's to track ovulation. My lmp was 14th October and my OPK showed positive on 3rd November. My partner and I only DD on the 2nd and 4th October. I tested from 9 dpo until 15dpo. All were bfn. Then on 15dpo I started to bleed so wrote it off as a period. One week later I had some pink cm and decided to do a test. Positive straight away. Blood test the following day showed 120.

Three weeks later I had an ultrasound at the sac only measured 5w3d and there was no baby in the sac. The Sonographer said to come back in two weeks for another scan to see if the baby is visible.

My question is I think I implanted late so would this contribute to the two to three week discrepancy? It's the only thing I can think of. Has anyone had this happen to them and have a successful pregnancy??

All feedback would be truly appreciated!! Thanks

The only thing I can think of is that the sperm and egg didn't meet right away. And since sperm can live up to 5 days in perfect conditions that could prolong implantation. THEN it can take up to 12 days for the fertilized egg to actually implant. These conditions are at the far end of the spectrum, but I suppose still possible.

I hope everything is ok. :hugs:

ETA: Wait....when did you guys DTD?? October or November?

I'm trying to make sense of this and on what dates it all happened.

So are you saying the only time you had sex in November was on the second and fourth? That's it?

Sorry for being brief, I'm scribbling your dates out on a notepad :)

No matter how I try to calculate it, it doesn't seem to add up on paper.

So you only had sex on the 2nd and 4th. It took about 3 weeks to get a positive from that. Then you had an ultrasound on or about the 10th December (?) saying you were 5+3? That kinda means you would have ovulated around when you got your positive which isn't right! This is tricky.

Your HCG indicated that on the 22nd (which is when I'm guessing it was taken) you were 'about' 4 weeks. Regardless, I would expect it ti have been around the 18000 mark by the time your scan said 5+3, which would be right for 8 weeks.

It's confusing but doesn't sound like it's adding up to a very positive outcome to me. I'm not medical professional though! I really hope it's just some whacky cycle for you and it all turns out wonderfully.

No matter how I try to calculate it, it doesn't seem to add up on paper.

So you only had sex on the 2nd and 4th. It took about 3 weeks to get a positive from that. Then you had an ultrasound on or about the 10th December (?) saying you were 5+3? That kinda means you would have ovulated around when you got your positive which isn't right! This is tricky.

Your HCG indicated that on the 22nd (which is when I'm guessing it was taken) you were 'about' 4 weeks. Regardless, I would expect it ti have been around the 18000 mark by the time your scan said 5+3, which would be right for 8 weeks.

It's confusing but doesn't sound like it's adding up to a very positive outcome to me. I'm not medical professional though! I really hope it's just some whacky cycle for you and it all turns out wonderfully.

I know right!!! My mum and partner are all it will be fine!!! But they don't understand that the maths doesn't add up!! I'm glad you girls understand my confusion!!

The sonographer also pointed out that the sac was still producing hcg!! Am I right to assume that the sac wouldn't stop growing and still produce the hormone so in saying that the pregnancy is arltill progressing??

I had the blood test on the 27th November!!

I hope I didn't come across as negative. I really do hope it all works out for you. You must be feeling so sad and confused.

Did they not do any more HCG tests? One by itself means nothing.

I hope I didn't come across as negative. I really do hope it all works out for you. You must be feeling so sad and confused.

Did they not do any more HCG tests? One by itself means nothing.

Oh no!! All feedback is great!! I'm one of those people that is always realistic!! Unfortunately I live in regional north queensland and the doctors aren't very interested in simple pregnancy. I have to see my doctor again to organise another ultrasound. I will be asking to take more bloody to see if lots doubling!!

I am praying that it turns out fine but I can't help but notice the discrepancy in the maths!!

Hi there. I really do hope that you have a good ending to this.

I had a similar situation. I should have been 6.5 weeks at my ultrasound but the sac only measured 5 weeks. There was a yolk sac but no fetal pole. They said to come back in a week to look for growth. At this point my HCG was fine and still rising. That whole week I stared at my calendar trying to make the math work. I just couldn't quite make the dates match up from when I knew I had intercourse and how far along I should have been. Unfortunately a week later there was still no fetal pole and my HCG had leveled off. My body never did realize that the pregnancy had stopped progressing. Three weeks later I had a procedure to clean out my uterus :sad1: This is what is called a missed miscarriage.

I hope that your situation is different but if you can't make the dates match up I'm afraid that is not a good sign. Two weeks is (in my opinion) too long a difference to be accounted for by implantation. From what I have read implantation occurs from 5-12 days after conception. Sperm can live for up to 5 days inside you so it's possible that you conceived 5 days after you had intercourse.

Please let us know how things work out for you :hugs:

I am so sorry for that to happen to you. I always say it doesn't matter how far along any woman is, a loss is a loss!! And I wouldn't wish it upon my worst enemy!

Yeah my brain is telling me not to be to happy about it but my heart is telling me otherwise. Deep down I have this feeling that everything will be fine!! But I never know which one to listen to!!

Thanks for all the support and advice ladies!! I will of course update in two weeks!!

Hi there. I really do hope that you have a good ending to this.

I had a similar situation. I should have been 6.5 weeks at my ultrasound but the sac only measured 5 weeks. There was a yolk sac but no fetal pole. They said to come back in a week to look for growth. At this point my HCG was fine and still rising. That whole week I stared at my calendar trying to make the math work. I just couldn't quite make the dates match up from when I knew I had intercourse and how far along I should have been. Unfortunately a week later there was still no fetal pole and my HCG had leveled off. My body never did realize that the pregnancy had stopped progressing. Three weeks later I had a procedure to clean out my uterus :sad1: This is what is called a missed miscarriage.

I hope that your situation is different but if you can't make the dates match up I'm afraid that is not a good sign. Two weeks is (in my opinion) too long a difference to be accounted for by implantation. From what I have read implantation occurs from 5-12 days after conception. Sperm can live for up to 5 days inside you so it's possible that you conceived 5 days after you had intercourse.

Please let us know how things work out for you :hugs:

I'm going thru the same thing right now. I should be 8 weeks but baby stopped growing at 5w 4d. I had a 2nd ultrasound yesterday just to be sure and there was no more baby growth but sac grew and my HCG continues to rise. I've had 2 natural miscarriages and ideally would like the same this time, but I am tired of being in limbo so I'll have a D&C on Monday.

I truly hope you have a better outcome than me, and I have heard great stories of baby being ok! Stay positive, but arm yourself with all the information that you can so you can make informed choices that are the best for you, if needed. I felt better going into my appointment ready for the bad news just in case.

:hugs: and good luck!!!

I'm sorry your going this that as well! I have noticed on the internet that cases such as ours can really go both ways but there is no real indicator either way!!

Thank you for sharing your story and hope for the best wish your future pregnancy's. I wish there were a way to guarantee every pregnancy to be successful because so many woman go through so much heart ache lately just to start a family!!

Xxoo

This is happening to me now. My LMP was the same day as yours. I have had 4 scans. My last one was yesterday showing a teeny tiny heartbeat waaaay too slow (and small) for where i should be, BUT... progression on just the yolk sac from the scan on the 4th.

To be honest, this 'not knowing' is driving me insane. I've got chronic headaches and exhaustion, i wish i something would happen, either way. I've been spotting brown gunk for nearly 3 weeks now (with occasional red blood). I now have ANOTHER 2 week wait, which will take me into the new year, but i'm under no illusion that this pregnancy will carry on until then.

I wish you good luck.

This is happening to me now. My LMP was the same day as yours. I have had 4 scans. My last one was yesterday showing a teeny tiny heartbeat waaaay too slow (and small) for where i should be, BUT... progression on just the yolk sac from the scan on the 4th.

To be honest, this 'not knowing' is driving me insane. I've got chronic headaches and exhaustion, i wish i something would happen, either way. I've been spotting brown gunk for nearly 3 weeks now (with occasional red blood). I now have ANOTHER 2 week wait, which will take me into the new year, but i'm under no illusion that this pregnancy will carry on until then.

I wish you good luck.

I completely understand what you mean about the long wait!! I really hope your pregnancy progresses further for you. I think the fact you are still progressing is a good sign. Will be keeping all fingers and toes crosses for you!!!

How far along is your baby do you mind me asking? Just because we both have same lmp

6 weeks..... cannot be right though.

Wow we are very similar!!! I'm only 5 days behind you. We are yet to see the baby but a lot of people say at 5w3d an ultrasound wouldn't pick the baby up. I just hope someone up there is looking after us!!!

The sonographer also pointed out that the sac was still producing hcg!! Am I right to assume that the sac wouldn't stop growing and still produce the hormone so in saying that the pregnancy is arltill progressing??

This pregnancy I conceived twice. One was a healthy pregnancy, the other was a blighted ovum. I've had scans at 5+6, 7+4, 9+0 and 11+0. At the 5+6 scan it wasn't clear if the blighted ovum would grow or not, it was a similar sixe to the healthy pregnancy. At the 7+4 scan the blighted ovum had continued to grow, and was still a similar size to the healthy pregnancy, but remained completely empty. At 9 weeks the growth had slowed and it was half the size of the healthy pregnancy.

So a sac that is empty and will not grow a baby can still carry on growing and producing hCG.

My MMC showed no growth after 6 weeks. This was discovered at 8+5 and I had a rescan at 10 weeks. My body still thought it was pregnant. Although that pregnancy hadn't grown any between 8+5 and 10+0 it continued to make plenty of hCG.

This pregnancy I conceived twice. One was a healthy pregnancy, the other was a blighted ovum. I've had scans at 5+6, 7+4, 9+0 and 11+0. At the 5+6 scan it wasn't clear if the blighted ovum would grow or not, it was a similar sixe to the healthy pregnancy. At the 7+4 scan the blighted ovum had continued to grow, and was still a similar size to the healthy pregnancy, but remained completely empty. At 9 weeks the growth had slowed and it was half the size of the healthy pregnancy.

So a sac that is empty and will not grow a baby can still carry on growing and producing hCG.

My MMC showed no growth after 6 weeks. This was discovered at 8+5 and I had a rescan at 10 weeks. My body still thought it was pregnant. Although that pregnancy hadn't grown any between 8+5 and 10+0 it continued to make plenty of hCG.

Thankyou for this. I could not find any information on it. It is good to have such information because this alone had me very confused!!!

I said I would update so here it is. I was scheduled for my next u/s today to check for progression. However yesterday morning I had some bleeding followed by cramping a couple of hours later. By the afternoon I passed what looked like a sac. So within a few hours it was all over.

The frustrating thing is last year I miscarried on New Year's Day as well. Like some cruel joke from mother nature. I'm so angry, how can someone miscarry on New Year's Day two years in a row. I know it's a big coincidence but grrr it's a horrible one. Anyway .ao for ranting. Best of luck to everyone else

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->