First ultrasound today and looking for advice that I didn't get at the hospital

monkey30

Reaction score
Hi all, first off; sorry it's so long!

According to my LMP I am 7 weeks pregnant today. Not sure when I had ovulated this month because we had stopped using opk's and I know when we dtd as OH had been going out of town. So, go in today for an ultrasound to see if they could see why I had had 3 days of spotting last week. Tech was able to find the little bean, AND show us the heart...which was beating! When she started taking measurements, I was a little concerned with what came up. According to her measurements, I am only 6 weeks pregnant not 7. And the little bean was only measured at 3.6 mm.

So then the OBGYN comes in to double check the tech's work, and finds the heartbeat again, takes another measurement and prints out a pic and says "Ok, all done. Here's your pic." Of course I asked the question about the difference in dates. So she says well you just ovulated later than you think you did. I told her about hubby being out of town so there would have been no way it would have been possible to conceive. She looks at me, shrugs her shoulders and walks out of the room! I was furious!

So I am now here looking for answers! Has this ever happened to anyone before? What were your outcomes? Of course I am happy that we were able to see the heart beating, but nervous because of measuring a week off. Does it make a difference that they did an abdominal ultrasound as opposed to an transvaginal? Anything, the good, the bad, the ugly, is what I'm looking for right now. Thanks for all of your help!

I wouldn't be too worried, especially if there was a heart beat. Some babies just grow slower. The exact same thing happened to me my first pregnancy. I thought I was 8 weeks, but the ultrasound said 7. I knew right around when I ovulated, but the thing is that we really don't know when the egg implants into the uterus. It could be a week after we thought it would, even if we ovulate on time. My little guy is healthy (he was born a preemie, but that doesn't have to do with the first ultrasound measurements!) :) Congrats on seeing the heartbeat!

ps - at the 18 week ultrasound, he was back on track measurement wise, so it should be ok! :)

Every baby implants and grows differently. If it took a day or two for egg to meet sperm, and a few extra days to implant, or just a slow developer, the baby will measure small. My first son, I knew the day I conceived because I only had sex once that month, yet when I had my first ultrasound, baby measured Two weeks off! It was impossible....yet my son is a healthy four year old today!

Same thing happened to me... Got put back a week.. But it doesn't seem to affect anything.. so I just go with that... Just had my 12 week scan.. at the date they think I am.. and it was all to size and fine, so I'm happy with that.. I don't know how my body works well enough to argue with the doctors, but if Bubba comes a week earlier then the due date I am not going to be complaining :)).

Dont stress about it :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->