Fish Oil?

runnergrl

Mom to 2 boys and 1 angel
Reaction score
Anyone take these suppliments? any luck or benefits you have experienced? Am considering taking it...

I take it every day just for general cardiovascular health, but don't know if it does anything :) I am considering discontinuing it b/c of the pregnancy warnings....I'd be very interested in this thread...

I've read that you're not supposed to take fish oil in pregnancy but you can take omega 3 from plant sources. I think it might be to do with mercury levels?

I've read something like that too. I currently take it but will be stopping as soon as I know I'm pregnant, at least until I see my doctor.

I'm pretty sure you can get pregnancy friendly omega 3s or a pragnancy multivit containing them. I'm not sure if mercury levels can build up. If they do it might be worth stopping fish oils a while before ttc. *goesawaytogoogle*

edit: it's the vitamin A (not mercury) in fish oil that's the problem. The NHS recommends that you don't take fish oil while pregnant or ttc. I found this site very infomative generally: https://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/1757.aspx?CategoryID=54&SubCategoryID=129

I am taking Pregnacare Conception and a omega-3 vitamin per day as the pregnacare conception doesn't contain omega-3. Having read the previous evidence I may stop the omega-3 when I TTC. I thought it was just liver oil that you should avoid and thought the omega-3 was fine as it is included in pregnacare you can take once you know you are pg.

runnergrl-I have been taking the omega-3 for the last few months and can honestly say that I haven't noticed a single change.

very very interesting! Thanks ladies, knew I could count on you!

I'm taking fish oil supplements; Mumomega by Equazen, they are especially made for women who are TTC, pregnant or breastfeeding so I doubt they would be able to sell them if they were harmful? https://www.equazen.co.uk/default.aspx?pid=69
Also Zita West sells and recommends them too https://www.zitawest.com/product_details.php?section=0&id=58 and she's like a conception Guru...
I'm finding the info on the NHS site worrying though; not quite sure what we should believe :S

I've just emailed those two companies with the NHS link; will see what they have to say about this :S

It's not the omega 3 itself but the vitamin A that's often in the 'normal' omega 3 pills (as they're usually fish oil). Your pregnancy ones will most likely not contain vitamin A so be ok.

I've had a reply from Zita West; all in all looks like it's fine to be taking their fish supplements for ttc / pregnancy:

Thank you for your email.

I can fully understand why you were alarmed by the advice found on the NHS Choices site, which I have to say is rather misleading and, as we would see it anyway, unhelpful.

As you may know, there have been concerns about some pregnant women who may have very high intakes of Vitamin A in pregnancy, mainly as a result of their consumption of large and regular amounts of liver during pregnancy. Liver contains high amounts of the animal form of Vitamin A, which is known as Retinol. Some research has suggested that there may be an association between high levels of Retinol intake and a higher risk of birth defects. As a result, health professionals, sensibly, tend to steer women away from both foods and supplements containing it. We do the same here at our clinic.

Vital DHA, however, has been specifically developed for use during preconception, pregnancy and breast-feeding. Most particularly, to help those women, of whom there are many, whose regular diets do not contain a regular intake of Essential Fatty Acids (EFA's), such as oily fish, which all health experts recognise as important both prior to and during pregnancy. The oils used in Vital DHA are all derived from the body of oily fishes, not the liver. Retinol is not present in any measurable quantity in either of the two base oils we use to make the product and, as such, none of the concerns mentioned earlier apply. All of the oils used in Vital DHA are also molecularly distilled during the manufacturing process to test for the absence of all known contaminants. This removes the concern that many women also understandably have about the risk of exposing themselves, and their babies, to high levels of mercury from eating regular portions of the larger fresh oily fish, such as tuna, swordfish and shark.

Though it is, of course, correct to say that there is not enough medical evidence to completely support the contention that fish oil supplements can improve a baby's cognitive development, it would be inappropriate, in our view, to completely dismiss the evidence that does exist of its potential benefits in this area, just as it would be to overlook the other benefits that research has suggested may result from building a good maternal store of Essential Fatty Acids (EFA's) such as DHA and EPA during pregnancy. Zita has long been a passionate supporter of the value of DHA supplementation throughout the reproductive cycle, and that remains the case.

Whether you would like to continue taking Vital DHA must, of course, be a personal choice on your part. Should you still feel rather unnerved by your experience, we would fully understand, but please do be reassured that there is no reason to be concerned about the product's safety.

If you do, in the end, decide to stop taking the product, do please make sure you get back in touch as I would like to arrange for you to be refunded for the cost of the Vital DHA you have purchased. We wouldn't want you to have to pay for something with which you have not been entirely satisfied.

I hope this helps.

Yours sincerely

(name deleted)
ZITA WEST PRODUCTS LTD

TCC4N3, do you know if there is anywhere in the US I can get these pregnancy safe suppliments?? I went to the website and and truly intrigued..

Wow, what a great response from the company! I am so impressed! Thank you for taking the time to do that.

TCC4N3, do you know if there is anywhere in the US I can get these pregnancy safe suppliments?? I went to the website and and truly intrigued..

Hey, sorry but I'm not too sure where you could order Zita West supplements to the US; maybe Ebay? Just found this seller https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Zita-West-Vi...auty_Vitamins_Supplements?hash=item3efb32d6c4 if you contact them they could probably sort out international shipping? Also after a quick look on Google I think this company does international shipping too: https://www.yourhealthfoodstore.co.uk/details.php/p4111_zita_west_vital_dha_capsules.html

HTH :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"