fitting solids in with milk

Arcanegirl

Bazinga!!
Reaction score
I need some advice as im not sure if were doing the right thing (for want of better words)

Because Alex is still a sleepy baby we have to feed him solids first as soon as he wakes from a nap and then his bottle after.
He doesnt realise yet that solids are filling him up so almost everytime after a solids meal is finished (or hes got bored of it) he will want a bottle, if we offer it straight away he only takes 3-4 ozs.

If we try and wait it out half an hour or longer he takes more, as much as 6-7 ozs.
Knowing that milk is still important atm id rather wait it out so he would take more from a bottle but are we doing the right thing doing this?
It takes alot of distraction away from food to wait out the 30 mins.

Also is it normal that they dont associate food with their hunger and how long does it take untill they do?

It's totally normal for them not to realise solids can stop them from being hungry. I don't think they make that association for a good while yet.
However personally I'd give the milk before the solids, and if he doesn't eat much of the solids, so be it.
At this stage of weaning, when they are hungry, they need milk.

I cant do milk before solids because if the timing with him before he gets too tired.
He only stays awake 2 hours max, never wants milk as soon as he wakes up. If i were to do milk then wait an hour for solids then he would be too tired and not take anything, nor will he take anything straight after milk.

I have the same problem, and I find shes tired when trying to feed her she gets so gurny she refuses the solids altogher,
This is what im trying out:
7am - Bottle
9am - sleep
10am - Breakfast - Porridge
11.45 - Sleep
12.30 - Bottle
1.15 - Fruit
2.00 - sleep
3.30/4 - Veggies/bottle
5.00 - sleep
6.45 - Bottle

Its such a pain and the 4 o clock meal is the worst as shes gets really grouchy, I have only found this to happen the last week though, so gona give this a go and see how it goes.

AG ive had this same problem although im still finding weaning a bit of nightmare so had h/v out yesterday and she told me that that i was to give jessica as follows or as close to:

Wake - 7oz bottle
9am - brwakfast
12 -lunch solids first whatever it may be then make up bottle, hv said she may only take 3-4oz but thats ok if she has eaten.
3- try bottle but again may only take 3-4 oz or may take the full 7oz
5:30 - 6pm - dinner of solidas then make up bottle and again may only take 3-4oz
bedtime - 7oz bottle

So basically she has now told me i should be encouraging the solids which i found odd as i was thinking the milk was the most important thing. She said as long as u ensure she/he takes the full 7oz in morning and at bedtime then just top up as much as u can for rest of day. she said as long as i try to ensure she gets between 20 - 24 oz of milk then thats ok so with morning and night that 14oz gone already. Hope this helps Kx

oh Kay i could kiss you!
Alex has a full 8ozs morning and night and 2 bottles in between, first usually 4ozs and second 7ozs, but total in a day is 27ozs.

Well i wouldnt worry too much then, sounds like alex is still getting plenty of milk. Its so hard trying to introduce solids when they r still so reliant on milk, u dunno wot to do for best. Seems like alex and jessica r kind of on similar paths! Wot weight was alex at birth and now? Kx

6.11 at birth, not sure exactly now (havent weighed in 3 weeks) but likely around 17lbs

well jessica was 7lb10 and yesterday was17lb4 and she said she was bang on track so alex is same so thats the main thing Kx

27oz is good hun, layla only has about 25? 7 morning and night, 7 at 4pm, and 4oz with lunch, thats if she takes them all. Milk is more important, before 6/7months. At 7 months my SMA tin drops from 35 oz (haha she'd never fit that in) to 21oz. Minimum of 500ml a day is recommended with weaning

500 millilitres = 17.5975326 Imperial fluid ounces

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->