Five a day question...

sueh81

Mummy to 1 & 1 on the way
Reaction score
I've never really been much of a fruit or veg lover so probably only have 1 portion a day which I know is naughty but what is actually classed as a portion??

Can you have say 5 apples as your 5 a day... or does it have to be 5 different things?? I've got a whole pineapple i've just cut up and I could quite happily sit and munch my way through the lot!!!

I thought it had to be five different things to count but I could be wrong!

I don't think it matters as long as you're getting your fruits and veggies :) But I would be careful about an entire pineapple - supposedly fresh pineapple in large amounts has been shown to bring on labor ( softens the cervix or something I think?) worth reading about! I'm not sure it might be like 15 pineapples you would have to eat :shrug:

I wouldn't have five apples Hun, it could give you a tummy ache or be too much acid... Try a handful of grapes, maybe include potato or veg of some sort with dinner, you can get juices and yoghurts now too that are one of the five a day xx I'm definitely not getti ng five a day I don't think I ever have!!

does salad count?? I have realised I know nothing about healthy eating!!

Try this link for more information:
https://www.nhs.uk/livewell/5aday/Pages/5ADAYhome.aspx

I can't quite stomach vegs since getting pregnant (used to love them before). But I do still love my fruits and have at least 5-6 portions a day.

What counts?The following count towards your 5 A DAY:

•Fresh fruit and vegetables.
•Frozen fruit and vegetables
•Tinned or canned fruit and vegetables. Buy the ones tinned in natural juice or water, with no added sugar or salt.
•Dried fruit, such as currants, dates, sultanas and figs.
•Fruit and vegetables cooked in dishes such as soups, stews or pasta dishes.
•A glass (150ml) of unsweetened 100% fruit or vegetable juice. Juice counts as a maximum of one portion a day, however much you drink. That's mainly because juice contains less fibre than whole fruits and vegetables.
•Smoothies. A smoothie containing all of the edible pulped fruit and/or vegetable may count as more than one portion but this depends on how it's made. Smoothies count as up to a maximum of two portions per day. For more details, see 5 A DAY FAQs.
•Beans and pulses. These only count as one portion a day, no matter how many you eat. That's because they contain fewer nutrients than other fruits and vegetables.
•Fruit and veg in convenience foods, such as ready meals and shop-bought pasta sauces, soups and puddings. Some ready-made foods are high in salt, sugar and fat, so only have them occasionally or in small amounts. You can find the salt, sugar and fat content of ready-made foods on the label. For more information, see Food labels.

What doesn’t count?Potatoes are a vegetable, but they don't count towards your 5 A DAY.

Potatoes are classified nutritionally as a starchy food. That’s because when eaten as part of a meal, they are generally used in place of other sources of starch, such as bread, pasta or rice.

Other vegetables that don’t count towards your 5 A DAY are yams, cassava and plaintain: they are also usually eaten as starchy foods.

However, other root vegetables such as sweet potatoes, parsnips, swedes and turnips do count toward your 5 A DAY, because they are usually eaten in addition to the starchy food part of the meal.

While potatoes don’t count towards your 5 A DAY, they do play an important role in your diet. They are a great choice of starchy food, particularly if they are not cooked in too much salt or fat. They are a good source of energy, fibre, B vitamins and potassium. Although potaoes don’t contain much vitamin C compared to other vegetables, in Britain we get a lot of our daily vitamin C from them because we eat so many.

Great post Ruth, I didn't know about the potatoes!! That's helped me too!

One adult portion of fruit or vegetables is 80g.

Fruit portions
Fresh fruit
Small-sized fruit
One portion is two or more small fruit, for example two plums, two satsumas, two kiwi fruit, three apricots, six lychees, seven strawberries or 14 cherries.

Medium-sized fruit
One portion is one piece of fruit, such as one apple, banana, pear, orange, nectarine or sharon fruit.

Large fruit
One portion is half a grapefruit, one slice of papaya, one slice of melon (5cm slice), one large slice of pineapple or two slices of mango (5cm slices).

Dried fruit
A portion of dried fruit is around 30g. This is about one heaped tablespoon of raisins, currants or sultanas, one tablespoon of mixed fruit, two figs, three prunes or one handful of dried banana chips.

Tinned fruit in natural juice
One portion is roughly the same quantity of fruit that you would eat for a fresh portion, such as two pear or peach halves, six apricot halves or eight segments of tinned grapefruit.

Vegetable portions
Green vegetables
Two broccoli spears or four heaped tablespoons of kale, spinach, spring greens or green beans.

Cooked vegetables
Three heaped tablespoons of cooked vegetables, such as carrots, peas or sweetcorn, or eight cauliflower florets.

Salad vegetables
Three sticks of celery, a 5cm piece of cucumber, one medium tomato or seven cherry tomatoes.

Tinned and frozen vegetables
Roughly the same quantity as you would eat for a fresh portion. For example, three heaped tablespoons of tinned or frozen carrots, peas or sweetcorn.

Pulses and beans
Three heaped tablespoons of baked beans, haricot beans, kidney beans, cannellini beans, butter beans or chickpeas. However much you eat, beans and pulses count as a maximum of one portion a day.

Potatoes
Potatoes don't count towards your 5 A DAY. They are classified nutritionally as a starchy food, because when eaten as part of a meal they are usually used in place of other sources of starch such as bread, rice or pasta. Although they don't count towards your 5 A DAY, potatoes do play an important role in your diet as a starchy food. You can learn more in 5 A DAY: what counts?

Juices and smoothies
One 150ml glass of unsweetened 100% fruit or vegetable juice can count as a portion. But only one glass counts, further glasses of juice don’t count toward your total 5 A DAY portions.

One smoothie containing all the edible pulped fruit or vegetable may count as more than one 5 A DAY portion, but this depends on the quantity of fruits or vegetables and/or juice used, as well as how the smoothie has been made.

For a single smoothie to qualify as being two portions, it must contain either:

•at least 80g of one variety of whole fruit and/or vegetable and at least 150ml of a different variety of 100% fruit and/or vegetable juice, or
•at least 80g of one variety of whole fruit and/or vegetable and at least 80g of another variety of whole fruit and/or vegetable.
Smoothies count as a maximum of two of your 5 A DAY, however much you drink.
Sugars are released from fruit when it's juiced or blended, and these sugars can cause damage to teeth. Whole fruits are less likely to cause tooth decay because the sugars are contained within the structure of the fruit.

Ready-made foods
Fruit and vegetables contained in shop-bought ready-made foods can also count toward your 5 A DAY.

has to be five different i am afriad i also have this issue

solved it with a smoothie for breaky! can get 5 diff fruits in a blender with a tad of juice wizz up and ta-da issue solved

Uhhh pineapple brought on my labour last time round (altough this was at full term) so I'd just be careful!

Uhhh pineapple brought on my labour last time round (altough this was at full term) so I'd just be careful!

lol thanks for letting me know!!! I don't want to go into labour yet that's for sure!!! xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->