Flat/inverted/"abnormal" nipples

KiwiMOM

Reaction score
Can I hear some success stories? :thumbup:

I'm determined to BF, I know it's going to be painful and I'll have some extra issues to deal with but it's not a question for me. Looking for some support.

Thanks in advance :flower:

One thing I'd definitely say is don't assume that because of your nipples you will definitely have BF problems-I have seen a lot of mums with inverted or flat nipples presume they will have problems and reach for the nipple shields-and nipple shields are great as a last resort but most women really don't need them and they can cause more problems than they solve. Nipple shields should only be used under the close supervision of a medical professional, preferably a lactation consultant, as well. Your baby latches onto the whole areola; so your actual nipples don't matter too much

https://www.askdrsears.com/topics/breastfeeding/common-problems/flat-or-inverted-nipples

One thing I'd definitely say is don't assume that because of your nipples you will definitely have BF problems-I have seen a lot of mums with inverted or flat nipples presume they will have problems and reach for the nipple shields-and nipple shields are great as a last resort but most women really don't need them and they can cause more problems than they solve. Nipple shields should only be used under the close supervision of a medical professional, preferably a lactation consultant, as well. Your baby latches onto the whole areola; so your actual nipples don't matter too much

https://www.askdrsears.com/topics/breastfeeding/common-problems/flat-or-inverted-nipples

I've heard bad things about nipple shields so would like to avoid them. My mother is actually a lactation consultant, so I'm sure she will be able to help me through any problems that crop up but I've been feeling shaky so it's good to hear someone say this doesn't mean definite problems :thumbup: thank you! I'll check out that link

It definitely doesn't mean you'll have problems, I have flat small nipples and very big boobs, to top that off I have had two tongue tied babies. I did have some latching issues with my eldest but I think it was more due to the tongue tie/lip tie and it was still possible to get him to latch reasonably well without using any 'props', my others I've had no real problems. I think you should be in good hands with your mum xx

i had inverted nipples when i tried to bf my dd and used nipple shells and they were great. had no problem bf her and now my nipples are fine. xo

i *had* flat nipples. had some problems with severe cracking in the beginning. had my latch checked multiple times and it was perfect. what happened with us is that LO was sucking SUPER hard to draw my nipple out, and that was causing damage to my nipples. never used a shield, just stuck through it. they are now quite large and stay out all the time. no more flat nipples, and no more problems bfing.

thank you ladies, this is just what I needed to hear :flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->