Flat nipples?

lovebabyhopes

Reaction score
Ok, so I'm not a mom yet but I have a question I'd like to ask all of you. My whole life I've had small, flat-like nipples. Kind of like how a 10 year old's nipple look like. Underdeveloped, and pretty much flat unless they are triggered or "hard." I have small areolas and my nipple does not stick out naturally.

People have said my breasts/ nipples will change during pregnancy but I'm having a hard time imagining it. They've changed a little already but not that much. I really want to BF my baby, it's important to me, but I've always been worried I've have trouble because of my nipple shape.

Can anyone relate? Has anyone had flat nipples and been able to BF just fine?

One of mine is flat, and the other is regular. The flat one was a little harder to get things established on in the beginning, but everything's fine now. That side does tend to produce less for me, but I think that has more to do with a horrible blocked duct that it never fully recovered from.

I wouldn't worry too much about it preventing bfing, though.

Thanks so much! I appreciate the feedback.

It so weird because my breasts aren't flat at all, I just moved to a DD bra.. it's just the nipples. I'm hoping it works itself out. Fx'd.

Mine are flat. I wore the breast shields that medela sells that draws out your nipples for the first few days. They helped and it helps to roll your nipple before starting a feed.

Mine are also flat. I used medela breast shields but I couldn't get LO to latch on them correctly and he was only sucking the ends on my nipples which meant he wasn't getting enough milk.
Then he favoured one side so I started expressing the other side which drew my nipple out so before every feed I would express for about 30seconds and that was enough to bring my nipples right out then I would get LO latched strait away
X

Flat nipples aren't usually a huge problem unless baby has severe tongue tie or something and then the two issues together can be quite tricky, but not usually insurmountable. I have flat nipples and most of the time they are still flat after having five kids never had to use shields or anything xx

I had no idea there was was something called 'breast shields', thank you!

Thanks for the feedback, I feel better already.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->