Flat terries - who uses them?

Mary Jo

Mummy to Adam and Joel
Reaction score
I know, they're not exactly exciting, but they're cheap!

So who uses flat nappies? How do you find them? What folds do you use?

I bought 4 bamboo terry flats when I was putting my stash together before Adam was born, idea was they'd be back-ups/spares. We didn't start using cloth till he was a month old (he was a bit too small, I had too much on my plate to be fretting about something extra) and have only just (ie in the last few days) started with the flats. I was a bit daunted by the folding thing, as I hadn't had a chance to practise on a doll before Adam came along, but I since Adam LOVES nappy time and bare bum time, I figured he'd be patient if I struggled! And he was and it was a lot easier than I thought it'd be!

We've only used the one fold so far, the "jo", which I found on the Nappy Lady site. Am really surprised that this huge nappy fits easily into my Little Lamb wraps as well.

I used them sometimes...I had regular flats, the big square ones, then some "mini flats" that were shaped like prefolds but would have doublers lay in instead of sewn in..and then prefolds. I actually liked them all until he started walking then we rarely used them. But I used them quite a bit at home when he was around your sons age. We mostly used the angel wing fold, oragami or sometimes twist

Boo!! You know we use them MJ :happydance:

I have 20 bamboo terry squares and 5 cottons, but we never ever use the cottons, they're more useful for burp cloths etc :thumbup:
I looove my bamboo terries, apart from Pop-Ins at night they're all we use so far. Vince gets through about 5 nappies a day (then one Pop-In for the whole night), we use fleece liners and nappy nippas and I am currently only using Tiny Eco wraps which I looove (though they do add to the bulk somewhat, making trousers interesting!) Our favourite fold when Vince was smaller was the Simple fold, but he soon outgrew it (you know how quickly he's growing!) and we moved on to the Neat Nappy fold, which I really liked, but it was tricky to fold well (my terries aren't exact squares) and had a bit more bulk at the sides of the legs than I liked... So now we're using Gaynor's fold, which is ok, but I'd rather it was a bit neater tbh... We tend to end up with corners poking out of the top of the nappy at the front, and folding them down makes a bulge from his tummy which just adds to the fun of putting trousers on him! But Despite all that, I love my terries :bunny: They dried quickly on the line when the weather was good, but now we're tumbling them each time (which is sort of a shame with the energy consumption, but it does make them super soft and snuggly!!) I always fold them all in advance when they come out of the dryer which works great for saving time during nappy changes (though Vince is always an angel during nappy time :) ) but it's great for his daddy, who loves the terries but is all fingers and thumbs when it comes to getting the folds spot on!! I find that the most important thing with using flats is folding them in around the legs after putting them on, OH doesn't do this quite as well as I'd like which has very occasionally resulted in a bit of a leak. But mostly he's great, and with these cute wraps we've not had a leak in ages :D

Maybe try out a few different folds to see what works best fit-wise for Adam, and then once you get one you love then fold a few nappies in preparation and then try a day of just terries if you like!! I think they're lots of fun, and as you have infinite possiblities with the folding you can always find something that fits well :)

:hugs:

Shadow xxxx

we use flats, mostly in the house or if we are running out(that rarely happens as we have bui;t up quite a stash :blush:) but i really love the idea of the simplicity and ye olde worlde :rofl: of the terrys and love how quickly they dry :thumbup:

i use the origami fold atm as its the one i know best and i'm most confident with :)

i think we need to change folds soon tho as its getting a little small on her now :( i also agree with shadow, its v important to fold in round the legs as you put it on (which stops any nasty leaks and makes it all look alot neater :thumbup:

we use fleece liners and tiny eco wraps, oh and we use cotton terry - would love to try bamboo tho :)

hope this helps xxx

we use flats, mostly in the house or if we are running out(that rarely happens as we have bui;t up quite a stash :blush:) but i really love the idea of the simplicity and ye olde worlde :rofl: of the terrys and love how quickly they dry :thumbup:

i use the origami fold atm as its the one i know best and i'm most confident with :)

i think we need to change folds soon tho as its getting a little small on her now :( i also agree with shadow, its v important to fold in round the legs as you put it on (which stops any nasty leaks and makes it all look alot neater :thumbup:

we use fleece liners and tiny eco wraps, oh and we use cotton terry - would love to try bamboo tho :)

hope this helps xxx

thank you ladies! that's a big help. and I see two of you recommend the Tiny Eco wraps - which ones? PUL lined or fleece lined?

I'm going to get myself organised and try out a few folds. Thanks for the tips about the legs and tucking them in - also, I've been wondering, when you talk about leaks, what do you mean? Do you mean poo on the wrap or poo on the clothes? Or wee on the clothes? Adam usually leaks some poo onto his wraps, not much, sometimes just a dot, so much so that I don't really consider it a problem as I thought it was normal. he has never leaked poo out of his wrap though, the only time we get poo elsewhere is user error (me), usually when he has done a sneaky one that I didn't realise he'd done and not taken his socks off and they've ended up getting covered...

leaks as in wee/poo on clothes !!! i use the pul lined wraps - i will be using fleece ones when daisy is a little more mobile as there wont be as much wicking from all the pressure !! i also liked my popolini wraps (i think they are the same as motherease) they fit vvvv well and i never ever had a leak with them !! unfortunately little bug grew out of them so they had to go :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->