• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Floppy larynx?

PG5K

Mom to Alice and Dylan
Reaction score
Since my daughter has been born she has episodes of choking. It last a few seconds and she gets her breath back quickly but its really scary for us and her.

She mostly has them when she's on her back but she's also done it whilst sleeping on her front, in her bouncy seat and in the car.
She also snores, chokes whilst breastfeeding and makes a grunting sound.

I told my health visitor and she said it sounds like a floppy larynx. She didn't have any other advice but to see the doctor, which we did today.

The doctor is going to refer her to pediatrics as she didn't know anything about it but she did say she's a little young to cut her throat open (!) :shock: so they might put her under anesthetic to look in her throat.

Has anyone else's child got this?

My baby had suspected floppy layrynx when she was born. Turned out to be a chest infection but they were going to put a camera down to look at it... I dont know why they would say cut her throat open.. I was told its rarely operated on because it normally corrects itself as the baby grows x

Thanks Ruby, i don't know why she said it, seems a little extreme.

I don't think this is a chest infection as shes done it since was 1 day and had a clear chest at her 8 week check :(

My cousin's baby had this. Grew out of it by 2 yrs x

Thanks biliboi, I hope she doesn't have to suffer this for 2 years :(

Anyone else?
The health visitor said its quite common yet there doesn't seem to be a lot of info around.

It sounds like my LO. He's the same but only a few weeks old so I just put it down to the cold he has had. It's terrifying when he's gasping for air. He often is sick wen it happens.

I thought Alice had a cold as she's been constantly snuffly since birth but I've been told it could be a symptom of it.

I hope you lo is ok soon. It's really scary :hugs:

Ummm that's interesting. I might see how he is over Christmas and if he's no better I will take him to the drs. I only called them yesterday and they said it's probably a bug.

My Lo has it. It got diagnosed when I took him to a & e one night as he was struggling to breath. Turned out he had croup, but the floppy larynx made it ten times worse. He had to have steroids to open up his airways, which may be necessary everytime he's unwell.
My Lo dribbles constantly and always has a runny nose because of it. He snores, chokes and his breathing is always raspy or wet sounding. I wouldn't worry to much hun, if your lo is thriving, its probably a minor case, which will resolve its self x x

Does it tend to make them sick? My lo is sick about twice a day.

My Lo has it. It got diagnosed when I took him to a & e one night as he was struggling to breath. Turned out he had croup, but the floppy larynx made it ten times worse. He had to have steroids to open up his airways, which may be necessary everytime he's unwell.
My Lo dribbles constantly and always has a runny nose because of it. He snores, chokes and his breathing is always raspy or wet sounding. I wouldn't worry to much hun, if your lo is thriving, its probably a minor case, which will resolve its self x x

Thanks.
My Lo dribbles loads and I was worried she has asthma because her chest was raspy.
I'm hoping it will resolve without anything too invasive.

Luckily she has always put on weight so she's a good feeder.

I found this not sure if it will help any
https://www.cincinnatichildrens.org/health/l/laryngomalacia-infantile/

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kayzee94
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"