folic acid, and will it be enough?

roc

mummy to Dylan!
Reaction score
Hi,
my dh and i have decided to ttc from january or so, and i have just started taking vitamins, and the required amount of folic acid.
What i was wondering was this, i know you're supposed to start taking it about 3 months before ttc, when we start ttc, it'll be about 2 months that i'll have been taking it, does this matter, or should i push ttc to a month later just in case?

thanks!

I'm in pretty much the same boat as you, have been taking the folic acid for a couple of weeks now, but plan on starting TTC mid Jan so will only have been 2 months. My theory is that the chances of me getting a BFP on my first cycle are pretty slim, (PCOS sufferer) and I don't want to delay it anymore as who knows how long it will end up taking.

Hiya. Although 3 months is great - You should be fine with 2 months (400ug dose p/d).
From what I can remember - the month before conception is the key....

Anyone else know?

ah i see, maybe they say 3 months just to make sure of a being covered?
i dunno, i'm thinking too that chances of getting :bfp: on first try aren't great, i don't really want to put off ttc but, i just want to do whats best for my future baby! :baby:

I'm in pretty much the same boat as you, have been taking the folic acid for a couple of weeks now, but plan on starting TTC mid Jan so will only have been 2 months. My theory is that the chances of me getting a BFP on my first cycle are pretty slim, (PCOS sufferer) and I don't want to delay it anymore as who knows how long it will end up taking.

i think you're right about chances of conceiving Kota, for all of us even pcos or not i think it's stacked against it happening first try!
I hope you don't have to wait too long for your :baby:
and the pcos doesn't give you too much trouble!
good luck and:dust: some babydust to you! x

i think you're right about chances of conceiving Kota, for all of us even pcos or not i think it's stacked against it happening first try!
I hope you don't have to wait too long for your :baby:
and the pcos doesn't give you too much trouble!
good luck and:dust: some babydust to you! x

aww, thank you! I've been going crazy with the reading over the last couple of months so that I give myself the best possible chance right from the start. I'm pretty sure I'm ovulating but have bought some tests to find out for sure next month! Fingers crossed I can beat the odds quicklyand get our :baby:

lol! i bought some test sticks to check if i'm ovulating too! just waiting to see...!
not sure why i wouldn't be, no pcos or anything like that, had a m/c back in june, a little worried things might be mucked up after that, suppose thats the only reason why!

3 months is the recommended but there is nothing you can do about it now - I am sure it will be fine - I am in the same situation - left my pills at home when I went on holiday so I have only just started pregnacare is good has folic acid and all the vitamins you need

ive been taking folic acid for a year now and still no joy!, so i would say theres no harm if you have only been taking it 2 months, i think its aslong as you are taking it at conception is what matters. good luck girls. :hug:

Whatever you do, make sure you take it! My LO has Spina Bifida and whilst I did take Folic Acid, people who don't are at a much higher risk of having a baby with SB.

3 months is the recommended but there is nothing you can do about it now - I am sure it will be fine - I am in the same situation - left my pills at home when I went on holiday so I have only just started pregnacare is good has folic acid and all the vitamins you need
thanks Mrs Doddy,
yeah, pregnacare are what i'm taking, i'm sure it'll be fine too for you,i eat very well, 5 fruit and veg every day etc.. so i'm pretty healthy, but i will wait at least 2 months before ttc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->