folic acid question....

BrookieG

Mummy to Ollie
Reaction score
hey girls, a quick question about folic acid, it obv says in all the baby books to take this until the 12th week of pregnancy but did you girls just stop? My midwife told me id see her after my 12 week scan n im still waiting on word of an appointment n this was a question i was gonna ask her but obv cant until she gets her finger out n fits me in lol Thing is i switched to pregnacare tablets n every morning ive been really sick...i was putting it down to being hit with more ms but im only sick once, i take it in the morning when i get up n usually an hour later im sick right before i head off to work. Yesterday as we had a lie in i was awake, had breakfast and chilled and i felt absolutely fine didn't even feel queasy. I then remembered to take it and literally 45 mins after id taken it i was sick! Im 110% certain this is making me barf lol Ive not taken it this morning n i feel gr8...should i just stop taking it now im at 14 weeks??? thanks in advance girlies xx

I'm taking pregnacare which has folic acid in it among other vits, will take it all thru pregnancy and while breastfeeding! mw said that's fine that's what it meant for, I don't think u can have too much folic acid and it doesn't do any harm, so I think it's up to u! maybe try pregnacare?! hope that helps!x

I stopped taking my folic acid at 12 weeks not taken anything else since. I know a lot of girls who got sick took theirs before they went to bed. Maybe its worth giving that a go.

im still taking my pregnacare and will do all the way tho ive heard that it can make some people feel yuck... x

Im gonna take my pregnacare all the way through. It can make people sick though and you should always take it on a full stomach. I take it at night and I'm fine. I'd try taking it at night, and if it still makes you sick swap to another multivitamin like Sanatogen mum to be tablets. X

I took pregnacare before pregnancy with my first, during and after.
With this baby I took it a few months beforehand (pregnacare conception) and I changed to pregnacare multi when I found out I was pregnant. I shall continue to take it until baby is born since I wont be breastfeeding, it wont be required any longer than 40 weeks.

I stopped taking folic acid once I ran out which I think was around 15/16 weeks xx

I've stopped taking mine now. MW said there are no real benefits to baby by taking it after 12 weeks - so I just finished the packet I was on.

My MW said that there was no point in taking it past 12 weeks as by then anything that it can help prevent has already developed. I was planning on taking pregnacare throughout anyway but read about the link between it and asthma when taken in the third tri - https://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/...supplements-linked-to-asthma-in-children.html - so have stopped taking it...it is only a small study but since my OH and I both have asthma, it's def worth trying! :flower:

I'm intending to take it all the way through, along with my omega 3 supplement.

I don't take pregnacare or any other prenatal vits as they give me the bizarre side-effect of vertigo. I just use plain old folic acid tablets on their own.

Funnily enough, I've also noticed I feel a bit sicker during the night if I take it just before going to bed. Even though the instructions don't say to take with food, I now make sure I have it right before eating my dinner.

my midwife said if u eat plenty of fruit and veg that it's better than any tabs and chemicals anyday. so i stoped taking folic acid at 12 weeks and went onto my 5 aday friut and veg diet and i aint been sick at all .

thanks girls im so glad i put this thread up my mil looked at me as if i was stupid when i said this was what was making me feel sick! Well ive taken folic acid all year really due to another pregnancy and the fact that we were ttc so i think ill quit the pregnacare n stick to trying to eat more fruit n veg! anything that'll make me eat more fruit is a plus in my book im so bad with it! x

My midwife said that if it was making me sick, I should take it before going to bed, because then you're more likely to be able to sleep through the nausea. I am still taking mine, and will continue to do so until the baby's born, because it's part of a multivitamin supplement. If it's just folic acid, then there's no benefit to taking it past 14 weeks, but there is a benefit to taking multivitamins throughout the pregnancy.

I stopped folic acid tablets during week 14, but the calcium and iron tablets that I take have folic acid in them, for the stomach lining, maybe?

Hi, i just stopped taking it when I was 12 weeks as the midwife said it wouldnt really benefit the baby after this time.x

Im planning to stop my Folic Acid in a few days and I also had to stop taking Pregnacare tabs too as they made me very sick and constipated. As soon as I stopped takign them I was fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->