Folic Acid

tverb84

Reaction score
How much folic acid should a woman take before they plan to have children? The vitamin for women that I take has 400 mcg's of folic acid.Does anyone know if that's enough?

400mcg is the current UK guidelines for most women

Yes that's plenty unless you have had previous babies with neural tube defects (e.g. spina bifida) in which case you are advised to take 800mcg

How many months before TTC are you going to start taking it?

I just bought today and was thinking I'd start on 1st. I've just finished my last pill packet so it seems like a good time to start taking. We're planning on officially trying in May so I'd be taking for 5 months, I'm not sure if that's good or bad.

Oh I've just gotten this from the NHS website... :)

However, a recent study looked at the effect of taking folic acid for a year prior to becoming pregnant. This study looked at the effect folic acid had on reducing preterm labour and delivery of the baby (that is, of having a 'prem' baby). The study found a significant decrease in the rate of preterm delivery for women who took folic acid for one year prior to becoming pregnant. So, you may wish to consider taking folic acid tablets well before you plan to become pregnant.

Cheers! We are starting in may too so will stock up soon. I did start taking it in like April last year when we were planning to TTC in August, but when the plans changed I stopped bothering.

I took Folic Acid for 7 months before getting pregnant and still went into labour 3 weeks early lol. Good luck with it all :)

From everything I've read, the sooner the better. I've started taking folic acid & I'm not TTC for at least two years. Won't hurt I guess! :shrug:

I'm taking 400mcg & i've already started although not starting TTC until end of this year, the sooner the better :thumbup:.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->